Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For anyone interested that is Garden Bedder Cultivator Hitch #1.

I started this thing last May as a garden bedder see the thread that I started then kind of forgot to update. http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/19519-started-building-garden-bedder-last-night.html . Well it worked so good I got thinking about weeds and how I hate trying to get rid of them. I have used the tiller between the rows since we moved out to the acerage but I think it just makes more of a mess in the end so I thought about a farm cultivator like my neighbors use with sweeps to cut the weeds off. A couple weeks ago I put an ad on a local buy and sell looking for cultivator shanks and a few days later got a call. So off I went and ended up with the shanks you see in the pics for $10.00 each. Over Kill? Of course they are, but they are in very good shape and will work very good. So on Sunday we got at some welding and added the rear bar to the bedder attachment and with the triangulated supports I don't think I will ever break it. So now it has detachable Bedder disks with all fabricated parts except for the disks and bearings. It has a 2" receiver on the main frame and now the tool bar at the back for the cultivator shanks and whatever the next brain wave brings along. Here are a few pics.

I guess now that I am more or less finished with it, it is probably time to give it a splash of Green or Black paint I haven't decided yet. Still has to warm up quite a bit before that happens though. I am going to go back and pick up a few more shanks this weekend as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I dig it! :good2:

Great score on those tines for $40!

I've got a subsoiler project on deck and was originally going to just make it single purpose, but then thought that it made more sense to leave the cross tube longer and allow for adding more stuff to it later on. The main shank will come out with two bolts, so it's not like it's all that much work to switch it up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks good! I'd paint it Green. And call me crazy, but I think that the disk have been put on the shanks backwards. You normally want the shank and bearing protected behind the disc, but this may be a design that I am unfamiliar with. The attachment shows how mine are orientated.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looks good! I'd paint it Green. And call me crazy, but I think that the disk have been put on the shanks backwards. You normally want the shank and bearing protected behind the disc, but this may be a design that I am unfamiliar with. The attachment shows how mine are orientated.

I am quite familiar with the standard design but we built it this way on purpose for more spacing because the original idea was to keep the frame narrow. As we machined the bearing holders ourselves they are made to protect the sealed bearings.

·
Registered
163 Posts
By protected, I mean not interfering with the dirt flow as the disc rolls it to the side. But it sounds like you know what you are doing.:good2:

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 7 of 7 Posts