Green Tractor Talk banner

Fire Wood 2019

7K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  nastorino 
#1 ·
This past winter we burned our wood pile down to absolutely nothing. So it was time to put my new Stihl MS 391 to work, (my Husky 55 quit and I didn't have time to work on it, good excuse hey?). The power company came through and dropped 5 or 6 trees so I dragged them out of the bush and got to work.

Soil Tree Grass Plant Straw

Natural landscape Tree Trail Natural environment Wilderness

Logging Soil Tree Vehicle Woodland

Soil Tree Plant Campfire Tree stump

Chainsaw Saw chain Construction equipment Vehicle Tool

Tree Woodland Forest Natural environment Woody plant

Vehicle Tractor Tree Agricultural machinery Soil

Wood Tractor Vehicle Tree Tire

Agricultural machinery Vehicle Tractor Shed House

Logging Tree stump Tree Wood Lumber

Mrs. C playing with her Mother's Day gift, a Dewalt 20 Volt 12" chainsaw, she loves it!
Soil Tree Plant Gardener Shrub

All done with the work, changed the oil for the season and ready for storage.
Vehicle Machine Tractor Agricultural machinery

By the way, I re-purposed my old battery out of my 1026R by putting it on my wood splitter. It should last years I hope.
Machine Gas

Time for a cold one.
Drink Tree Vehicle

It feels so good to have the shed full again. This is about 3 chord which is good for just about two years. Mostly poplar but a little bit of maple mixed in there too.
Property House Building Home Shed

See less See more
#2 ·
That's just about the nicest wood stacking I've seen in a long time. Much, much better drying! You do seem to have the whole enchilada for wood processing. :good2:

#3 ·
Heh. Nice stacks!

I got tired of fixing our pellet stove constantly so we are converting over to a wood stove. At the same time, we're putting a 2nd wood stove in one of our fireplaces. I got a local guy to drop a logging truck full of tree-length oak logs next to my driveway, went and bought a new Stihl MS251 and got to cutting. I'm 75% through cutting and then I can move on to splitting. Should have 6-8 cords by the time I'm done but probably won't be able to burn any of that this winter. We've been burning ~5 tons of pellets/year so I'm guessing we'll end up burning 5-6 cords of wood.

At the same time, all of a sudden people around me are giving away firewood like crazy. Been watching Craigslist and Facebook and managed to pick up 4 cords of split, dry wood from people that are selling their houses and didn't want the wood pile in their yard when people were coming to look at the houses.

At some point this summer I'm gonna have to build a decent woods shed.

#5 ·
Nice:good2:. I need to get mine full again. This fall I plane on filling it up. I have a lot of logs stacked that just need to be cut and split. Nice look wood shed.

#7 ·
It kind of offset the situation of me buying a new Stihl chainsaw for myself, :laugh:. But yes Giz, a keeper for sure. We just passed 39 years last week with full intention to finish the ride to the end, even if it costs me a chainsaw once in a while.

#8 ·
Nice stacking

This past winter we burned our wood pile down to absolutely nothing. So it was time to put my new Stihl MS 391 to work, (my Husky 55 quit and I didn't have time to work on it, good excuse hey?). The power company came through and dropped 5 or 6 trees so I dragged them out of the bush and got to work.

View attachment 687058

View attachment 687004

View attachment 687052

View attachment 687008

View attachment 687010

View attachment 687012

View attachment 687014

View attachment 687016

View attachment 687018

View attachment 687020

Mrs. C playing with her Mother's Day gift, a Dewalt 20 Volt 12" chainsaw, she loves it!
View attachment 687022

All done with the work, changed the oil for the season and ready for storage.
View attachment 687024

By the way, I re-purposed my old battery out of my 1026R by putting it on my wood splitter. It should last years I hope.
View attachment 687026

Time for a cold one.
View attachment 687028

It feels so good to have the shed full again. This is about 3 chord which is good for just about two years. Mostly poplar but a little bit of maple mixed in there too.
View attachment 687054
Really nice job on the stacking, and getting some help from Mrs. C. Pretty slick idea to give her a cordless saw. Nice to have the forks to lift the logs off the ground too.

Toward the end of last winter, I switched from stacking to using some repurposed 275 gallon totes and putting wood in them. I cut the plastic out and use it for covers. Right now the totes are our in the open, sometime this summer I'll probably move them under a shed using a TRACTOR and forks.

I need a few more totes as my 300 loader can't pick up a full tote, at least not when it was green. The wood may have dried out enough so I can top off the totes, I'll have to check it out next time I have forks on the tractor.

Treefarmer

#10 ·
Carvel Loafer? Doesn't look like you've been loafing...
I think I could have cut those logs easily in one day, but my God, my back hurts just looking at all that splitting and stacking.
I probably would have had to split a little every day for three weeks.
I really like that shed or barn you have there, especially the nice metal roof.

#11 ·
I can feel your back aches from here. Nice work. Love the handy log tongs. Neighbor has one on his Kubota for “rescuing” firewood from downed trees around here. Makes quick work of getting wood out of the stickleberries :kidw_truck_smiley:

#12 ·
Those tongs work better than I expected, until I get a larger log, then I have to just wrap the chain around it. They are good up to about 16" or so.

#13 ·
I've got 2019's firewood all split and stacked under a lean to.
I've got to move the last maybe 1/2 cord or so into the house garage for the winter.
2020 and 2021's firewood is already split and stacked under the lean to.

I have enough other stuff cut into 8ft logs and stacked cross ways on the layers about 5 ft high for another 5 years or so.

I have given away 12 loads of 8 ft poplar/aspen logs in last 2-3 weeks and I'd guess that I have at least 3 dozen more loads to go before I'm done.

I have been toying with the idea of splitting and selling some of my firewood stash just to get some room.

I have lots more trees that need cutting to finish clearing out my over grown woods.

#14 ·
You're ready to go!

We have a bunch of down/dying trees at the farm I need to start getting cleaned up. Mostly so we can begin replanting the shelterbelts before they are completely gone!

We don't use any of it, so I sell it for firewood. Not making any money when time is figured in, but I get $125 for an 8' pickup bed full. Probably in the neighborhood of a half cord?
It's beer money.

Dad keeps saying he's going to put in a wood fired burner to heat the house. We'll see.

#15 ·
Good job Carvel Loafer! I'm curious, did you get the barn completely done? I think the last pic I remember was when you had the roof done but not the sides and winter was coming on that year. I'm getting older so memory is fading. :laugh:

Reactions: BigJim55 and rtgt
#21 ·
Well Levi, I am glad to say that living true to my handle of Carvel "Loafer", no, the barn addition still isn't complete, :lol: . I suffer from a disease called, "IFFN" (It's Functional For Now) so it isn't my fault.

Seriously though, I've been side tracked on other priorities on the property, but I sure want to get siding on it soon, unfortunately it won't be this year either. :dunno:

#16 ·
Great work, very organized.

Cutting firewood is my hobby and exercise in the Winter. You feel like you have done something at the end of the day.

Attachments

#18 ·
Maybe we need a new thread for this but... POST PICS OF YOUR WOOD SHEDS! :laugh: Seriously, I need to build one (or two!) this summer. What works? What doesn't? How big is to big? Is there such a thing as to big? Does anyone get critters living in their firewood stacks? I'm concerned chipmunks and mice will want to move in! Edumacate me please!

#30 ·
Today was a splitting and stacking day. Several cords put away for the year 2022. I rotate 4 wood sheds for 2 houses and always have dry seasoned wood. Not as pretty to look at as some folks stacks but excellent to burn. I had an audience, how many do you see?

Attachments

Reactions: rtgt and Jeff B
#33 ·
Well I just can't help myself. There was an outing at the golf club Friday so play was closed for members. I took the 18', 10,000# capacity trailer to the course where the Superintendent had a bunch of ash logs laying. I could drive right up and cut. He even loaded the big ones with a skid steer for me. One crotch had 3 18" stems coming out of it, That round is probably 500# easy.

#37 ·
Doing the same thing this year with the Ibc totes. Been buy some and taking tanks out and plan on cutting tanks for roofs. Haven’t filled any yet. Once it cools off this fall I’ll start cutting and splitting and filling totes. Trying to decide how many I need. I have a big pile of logs to cut and split. Now that I’m retired I’ll be burning more wood in the shop this year as I’ll be out there more. I have 6 totes so far think I’ll buy a least 2-3 more. Like Treefarmer said, liking the stack in the totes and done. No loading unloading stacking wood and then bring in the shop. Just bring one in at a time with the forks as I need wood this winter.

#39 ·
Sl;ab wood

We used to see slab wood frequently around here as there were several small sawmills and all would sell slab wood. Now we have fewer but larger sawmills and they tend to burn slabs to power their kilns or chip them for the pulp mill. It's nice wood if you can get it.

On the other hand, I don't want to think about needing to burn that much wood. My hat's off to those who live and work in that climate. Brrrrrr.

Treefarmer

#40 ·
I have a pile that would make some nice firewood,,
the pile is over 40 feet wide, over 100 feet long, and 15 feet high down the center,,

I wonder how many cords are in that pile? :unknown:

This is the pile left from the logging recently done,,

I guess I will have some nice mulch in about a decade? :dunno:

Attachments

#42 ·
I’ve been avoiding this thread as I really miss doing firewood.

We heated with firewood in this house for the first 12-15 years. But then with the onset of RA I just can’t do it anymore. At our previous house we heated and cooked with firewood for 8 years.

Another issue is I just don’t have any more available on my own property. I would have to get a permit from the state forestry each year and go fetch it out of the woods on state forest land without using any equipment. The permits are cheap enough at $10 per cord but....

I still have about 3 full cord in the wood shed - use the wood stove for power outages and to supplement the furnace when it gets below zero. But I had to buy that - was $150 per cord cut/split/delivered when I bought that 4-5 years ago.

#45 ·
Hey Stan, I sometimes think of you when I'm doing firewood and wonder what it would be like if I couldn't do this anymore, (yes, I'm one of those that really enjoy putting up firewood). But then again, $150 per cord is an excellent price in our area.

#44 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you love that MS 391, you should try the MS 462. I stepped up from a MS 270. It does cut everything with ease.

#46 ·
If you love that MS 391, you should try the MS 462. I stepped up from a MS 270. God damn does it cut everything with ease.
Sometimes you really get what you pay for don'tcha?
Love my 462, running a Tsumara 24" light bar.:bigthumb:

Reactions: Gizmo2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.