Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First burn of the year. Last Thursday looked like a good day to burn my brush pile. Very little wind, so not the huge flames I usually have.

2030 :greentractorride: and grapple did the piling and "push in" after it burnt down. Last picture is when I left about 4PM .

I checked again just before dark and maybe 6 big pieces still smoldering. Next morning only a few coals still burning. :good2:

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Does the ash make good fertilizer?
Not a gardener at all, just wondering.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Being able to manipulate a burn pile with the loader saves a whole lotta work and singed hair. :good2:

I burn a lot of green or mostly green wood, so I'm always tending to a raging hot spot with stone cold logs on every side of it. Now I just mash the whole thing with the loader to redistribute the cold wood.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

No idea :dunno::flag_of_truce:There is (getting smaller) an oak stump I am trying to burn away. That was 5th or 6th burn there. When all the coals are out, I start piling there again. So nothing has had a chance to grow there

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stump (Oak) that I've been burning with these brush piles is still hanging in there. So I took my chainsaw to it. I got it close to being flush or below ground level. I ran out of gas for the saw, so I decided "good enough"

One picture is stump after cutting. I do not think I was getting a true crosscut (tree blew over 7 years ago, and I've done multiple burns) so it was hard cutting. It's about 4' across left to right, left side it a little high.

Another picture is everything I cut off it.

Then a picture of the start of the next burn pile. Maybe the last at this spot???

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Holy Crap Load Batman (Zebrafive). . . that is a big fire!

I am about 1/3 mile from the fire station and they would never let me make a fire that big

Burn ring is 5 ft in diameter and the pile cannot be much more than three feet high before one of their trucks rolls by

My house was built in 1850 and there are three other old ones within a 1/2 mile. A fire a few years ago took out three that were built in the 1870s and the town is always keeping a close eye on the old homes around my home, wanting to preserve some of the town's heritage. So I should not be complaining.

Last week I built a fire and three fire volunteers came over and we had a hot dog roast and a good laugh.

DSC_1003.jpg

This is an ongoing restoration. Picture taken before I started all of the landscaping and tree planting.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I am going to say no. I dumped a bunch of furnace ash, where my garden is now and it was a disaster for a couple years.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am going to say no. I dumped a bunch of furnace ash, where my garden is now and it was a disaster for a couple years.
Might have been a bit too much. Ash is alkaline, so some plants will like it, some won't.

My burn pile was maybe 50% of yours and I rototilled it into my garden plot @ 20'x50' Lots of charcoal, pieces the size of a broken sugar cube. Plants are doing fine, but it's super rainy, too.

·
Registered
763 Posts

Wood ash in moderation makes a good soil amendment. Here is a good link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts