Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 1025R TLB developed a hydraulic oil leak. It has less than 60 hours on it, and per the dealer, has 443 days of basic warranty remaining as of today. After having it for 2 1/2 weeks, they tell me they finally find the leak in the case housing between the axle tube and the main housing. Then the guy tells me that the fluid is not covered under warranty, so I'll have to pay for that.

Wait... what?!?

So you're telling me that, you have removed and drained my hydrostatic transmission to reseal this leak, which is under warranty, and I have to pay to put 6 gallons of oil back in it? I said, so you're going to ship this back to me dry because warranty doesn't cover fluid that you drained to do a repair? Supposedly he is going to talk to his warranty manager about it and call me back... 5 hours later, no response. I said, if you took your car to a dealership with a transmission leaking, under warranty, would you expect to pay for the 2-4 gallons of transmission fluid it takes to fill them up again after replacing a valve body? Nope. Didn't think so.

This is after me calling 5 times for an update on what was wrong with it. I told them when dropping it off that it leaks when it sits. Somehow they equated this to "We need to run it for several hours and check for leaks." They power washed it, did this "test" twice, put cardboard under it, then the tech took the following day off. Guy tells me that there's no leaks yet. Once again, it leaks after sitting. He goes and looks at it and, wow, there's oil under it. That was Thursday last week.

Not very happy. If this ends up being the case, I probably won't be going back to JD for my next piece of equipment or implement. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Not cool! Not cool at all...

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Don't these come with like 6 yrs of warranty on drive train?
That is definitely a production assembly or poor casting issue, I would guess.
JD better step up on this!
Keep us informed please.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So, so wrong

My 2017 1025R TLB developed a hydraulic oil leak. It has less than 60 hours on it, and per the dealer, has 443 days of basic warranty remaining as of today. After having it for 2 1/2 weeks, they tell me they finally find the leak in the case housing between the axle tube and the main housing. Then the guy tells me that the fluid is not covered under warranty, so I'll have to pay for that.

Wait... what?!?

So you're telling me that, you have removed and drained my hydrostatic transmission to reseal this leak, which is under warranty, and I have to pay to put 6 gallons of oil back in it? I said, so you're going to ship this back to me dry because warranty doesn't cover fluid that you drained to do a repair? Supposedly he is going to talk to his warranty manager about it and call me back... 5 hours later, no response. I said, if you took your car to a dealership with a transmission leaking, under warranty, would you expect to pay for the 2-4 gallons of transmission fluid it takes to fill them up again after replacing a valve body? Nope. Didn't think so.

This is after me calling 5 times for an update on what was wrong with it. I told them when dropping it off that it leaks when it sits. Somehow they equated this to "We need to run it for several hours and check for leaks." They power washed it, did this "test" twice, put cardboard under it, then the tech took the following day off. Guy tells me that there's no leaks yet. Once again, it leaks after sitting. He goes and looks at it and, wow, there's oil under it. That was Thursday last week.

Not very happy. If this ends up being the case, I probably won't be going back to JD for my next piece of equipment or implement. :banghead:
In so many ways, THAT IS JUST WRONG, no matter how you add it up, Are they, JD dealer, also caring a loan for the equipment and if so, They own part of the tractor yet, You may have to explain that the fluid is their part of the cost/loan. I WOULD BE LEVED!
Keep us posted on what they say next. JUST SO WRONG.:banghead:

NO LIKES ON THIS AT ALL!!!!

waltmart

·
Registered
554 Posts
I did a quick google search -- Holt, MO is near Kansas City? If so, I saw Ag-Power and Heritage JD in that neck of the woods. Are you close enough to one of the other dealers? Whether it's tractors, cars, boats, etc, there are good and bad dealers. John Deere makes good tractors, but problems can happen. Quality service matters in times like those. I would hope you don't need many service visits during your first few years. Maybe you could call one of the other JD dealers and feel them out for how professional they deal with you over the phone at least? Don't know, but I've got a couple dealers -- one for boats and one for cars -- near me and I won't set foot in their establishment. It's pretty much ruled out those manufacturer's for me as they're the only ones in the area.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a quick google search -- Holt, MO is near Kansas City? If so, I saw Ag-Power and Heritage JD in that neck of the woods. Are you close enough to one of the other dealers? Whether it's tractors, cars, boats, etc, there are good and bad dealers. John Deere makes good tractors, but problems can happen. Quality service matters in times like those. I would hope you don't need many service visits during your first few years. Maybe you could call one of the other JD dealers and feel them out for how professional they deal with you over the phone at least? Don't know, but I've got a couple dealers -- one for boats and one for cars -- near me and I won't set foot in their establishment. It's pretty much ruled out those manufacturer's for me as they're the only ones in the area.
It's at Heritage right now...

I know about good/bad dealers. I used to work for a GM dealership as a mechanic. That's why I think this is a total load of BS. I could have torn it down and fixed it myself for the cost of the fluid.

·
Premium Member
12,620 Posts
It's at Heritage right now...

I know about good/bad dealers. I used to work for a GM dealership as a mechanic. That's why I think this is a total load of BS. I could have torn it down and fixed it myself for the cost of the fluid.
Just for giggles and grins, why don't you call the other two dealers and ask the service manager if the cost of the hydraulic fluid is covered during a warranty repair like yours. Does JD's warranty agreement state that fluids are not covered during a repair? It seems the same would be true for engine oil or coolant during any type of service which would require either or both to be drained.

Also, what is the exact hours on your machine? You mentioned "less than 60 hrs". At 50 hrs the fluid would have needed changed anyway and the suction screen cleaned? Was that service performed? If not, is the dealer going to clean your suction screen when they reassemble the tractor?

Also, did you deliver the tractor to the dealer or did they transport it? If they transported it, are they charging for that as well.

The cost of 6 gallons of HyGard is about $97 (BTW: the specs show your tractor uses 3.25 gal). The cost to split your transmission and repair will likely be over $1000. I'll admit that it seems like the fluid should be covered but it doesn't seem like the end of the world.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just for giggles and grins, why don't you call the other two dealers and ask the service manager if the cost of the hydraulic fluid is covered during a warranty repair like yours. Does JD's warranty agreement state that fluids are not covered during a repair? It seems the same would be true for engine oil or coolant during any type of service which would require either or both to be drained.

Also, what is the exact hours on your machine? You mentioned "less than 60 hrs". At 50 hrs the fluid would have needed changed anyway and the suction screen cleaned? Was that service performed? If not, is the dealer going to clean your suction screen when they reassemble the tractor?

Also, did you deliver the tractor to the dealer or did they transport it? If they transported it, are they charging for that as well.

The cost of 6 gallons of HyGard is about $97 (BTW: the specs show your tractor uses 3.25 gal). The cost to split your transmission and repair will likely be over $1000. I'll admit that it seems like the fluid should be covered but it doesn't seem like the end of the world.

Hours are about 59.7 if I remember correctly. The 50 hour service came up on this when I took it to them (I hauled it to JD, not paying for them to come get it and bring it back). I specifically asked that, if the unit needs taken apart, could I pay extra for a filter and have them clean the screen. That guy said sure, not a problem at all. I told him I only wanted this done *IF* it was going to require draining it. Otherwise, I would just buy the filter and fluid and do it myself.

This second guy is the one giving me the hassle. He tells me the filter will cost between $25 and $50, and it will take 6 gallons. Obviously he doesn't know what he's talking about in regards to that part. I've watched enough TTWT to know it takes less than 4 lol. I totally planned on doing it myself until I found this leak (which was around the 47 hour mark). Give me a service manual, and I can tear anything apart and put it back together again (correctly).

The cost of the fluid isn't "the end of the world". I can only take that the experience with the warranty and dealer is only a sign of things to come, though. If something else breaks, which usually happens, I will expect the same kind of nonsense. But, for sure, I will be calling around, maybe even to another town to find a non-Heritage dealer, to see what they say, once they open tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I'll admit that it seems like the fluid should be covered but it doesn't seem like the end of the world.
You are right, its not the end of the world. But, when you spend the kind of $$$ these new tractors cost, and it has a failure with such low hours.....then its the principle of the matter more than anything else.
This dealer is an ambassador for JD in everything they do, so yea, Id be sure to contact someone up the chain and let them have a piece of your mind. This is just wrong on so many levels it isn't funny. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
12,620 Posts
You are right, its not the end of the world. But, when you spend the kind of $$$ these new tractors cost, and it has a failure with such low hours.....then its the principle of the matter more than anything else.
This dealer is an ambassador for JD in everything they do, so yea, Id be sure to contact someone up the chain and let them have a piece of your mind. This is just wrong on so many levels it isn't funny. :banghead:
Don't get me wrong, I agree completely. I'm just curious if this is the official JD policy on fluids during a warranty repair or if this dealer is just being a douche. I guess I was looking for a silver lining to get over this particular hurdle. If it was due for a fluid change anyway for which you would have had to buy the fluid and do it yourself you are now getting the dealer to do it for you (and you're still buying the fluid). I guess you could always insist that they put the old fluid back in. :)

I would be more concerned about what the actual final charges are rather than the service guy's shooting from the hip estimates. In other words, I'd be pretty tweaked to get charged for 6-gallons of HyGard knowing my tractor could only take 4 gallons at most.

·
Premium Member
12,620 Posts
This second guy is the one giving me the hassle. He tells me the filter will cost between $25 and $50, and it will take 6 gallons.
List price on the filter is $26.70 (LVA16054).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't get me wrong, I agree completely. I'm just curious if this is the official JD policy on fluids during a warranty repair or if this dealer is just being a douche. I guess I was looking for a silver lining to get over this particular hurdle. If it was due for a fluid change anyway for which you would have had to buy the fluid and do it yourself you are now getting the dealer to do it for you (and you're still buying the fluid). I guess you could always insist that they put the old fluid back in. :)

I would be more concerned about what the actual final charges are rather than the service guy's shooting from the hip estimates. In other words, I'd be pretty tweaked to get charged for 6-gallons of HyGard knowing my tractor could only take 4 gallons at most.

My points exactly! Regardless of whether it was due or not, they have to refill it after fixing it. I'll be calling around tomorrow, with a follow up call to a supervisor of some sorts.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
At this point, I'd being looking at the warranty statement, which I believe is on the backside of the Purchase Order that you and the dealer executed when you purchased the tractor. That should tell the tale. When you have the facts, you can speak with knowledge and authority.

The prices this service representative is quoting seem way out of line, also.

In a comparison, my bride's 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the water pump fail at 60,000 miles three weeks ago. The water pump is covered under the 5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty. They replaced the water pump, the thermostat, and added the necessary anti-freeze. Total repair bill $0.00 and the dealer included a free automatic self-serve car wash.

This is how I would assume your warranty work be conducted.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At this point, I'd being looking at the warranty statement, which I believe is on the backside of the Purchase Order that you and the dealer executed when you purchased the tractor. That should tell the tale. When you have the facts, you can speak with knowledge and authority.

The prices this service representative is quoting seem way out of line, also.

In a comparison, my bride's 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the water pump fail at 60,000 miles three weeks ago. The water pump is covered under the 5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty. They replaced the water pump, the thermostat, and added the necessary anti-freeze. Total repair bill $0.00 and the dealer included a free automatic self-serve car wash.

This is how I would assume your warranty work be conducted.
That's how I would assume it to be as well. I was an auto tech for over 14 years. If your oil pan is leaking, and it's under warranty, the oil obviously has to be drained out to replace the seal/gasket, and new oil goes back in. $0 to the customer every time, no matter how overdue for an oil change they are. Same goes for transmissions and differentials. The only reason I held off on doing the 50 hour service to this point is because it was leaking.

Text from the warranty, copied and pasted from the John Deere site (effective June 2015, where I only have a 3yr warranty on powertrain). They changed the powertrain warranty October 2017, 4 months after I bought it. No mention of fluids being covered or not covered.

B. WHAT IS WARRANTED – All parts of any new John Deere Equipment, except tires and batteries (which are warranted under separate documents
provided with each product), are warranted for the number of months or operating hours specified below. Warranty statements required by law covering
engine emission-related parts and components, which shall not be less than the engine warranty, are found in the Operator’s Manual delivered with the
Equipment. Included In Compact Utility Tractor Powertrain Warranty - Engine: cylinder block, cylinder head, valve covers, oil pan, timing gear
covers, flywheel housing, emissions control components and all parts contained therein. Powertrain: transmission, transmission case, differential and
axle housings, clutch housings, MFWD front axle assembly, and all parts contained therein (does not include external drivelines, dry clutch parts, or
steering cylinders).
C. WHAT IS NOT WARRANTED – JOHN DEERE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FOLLOWING: (1) Used Equipment; (2) Any Equipment
that has been altered or modified in ways not approved by John Deere, including, but not limited to, setting injection pump fuel delivery above John
Deere specifications; (3) Depreciation or damage caused by normal wear, lack of reasonable and proper maintenance, failure to follow operating
instructions, misuse, lack of proper protection during storage, or accident; (4) The Utility Vehicle if used for racing or any other competitive activity; (5)
Normal maintenance parts and service; (6) Golf & Turf Equipment is warranted under separate warranty.

Reactions: goat704! and PJR832

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Attached is the warranty statement. Technically and literally applying the warranty statement, you would be obligated to pay for the filter and the fluid, per section C. (II) paragraph 4. This is because you requested that they do a 50 hour service on the transmission and as such, that would be considered a part of normal maintenance and would not be covered.

Now, if your failure would have been more catastrophic and something was ground up or the clutch plates burned, a filter and fluid replacement would be part of the repair process, in my opinion. However, you had a leak and that failure is not going to impact the quality of the fluid or the filter. So if I were the technician and you had not authorized me to change the fluid and replace the filter, I would be re-using both. Now, when I re-utilize a fluid, I strain all my fluids with a super fine mesh paper funnel liner, such as utilized with automotive paints. These do an excellent job of filtering many wear contaminants as well as any dirt or other foreign matter that may have been dislodged from the machine into the drain pan.

So, in a nut shell, the service rep is correct. However, with your skill set and the prices they are quoting, I'd tell them to put the old fluid back in it, do the change myself once it was returned and I had verified they corrected the problem and didn't create new problems.

Attachments

Reactions: hodge

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Attached is the warranty statement. Technically and literally applying the warranty statement, you would be obligated to pay for the filter and the fluid, per section C. (II) paragraph 4. This is because you requested that they do a 50 hour service on the transmission and as such, that would be considered a part of normal maintenance and would not be covered.

Now, if your failure would have been more catastrophic and something was ground up or the clutch plates burned, a filter and fluid replacement would be part of the repair process, in my opinion. However, you had a leak and that failure is not going to impact the quality of the fluid or the filter. So if I were the technician and you had not authorized me to change the fluid and replace the filter, I would be re-using both. Now, when I re-utilize a fluid, I strain all my fluids with a super fine mesh paper funnel liner, such as utilized with automotive paints. These do an excellent job of filtering many wear contaminants as well as any dirt or other foreign matter that may have been dislodged from the machine into the drain pan.

So, in a nut shell, the service rep is correct. However, with your skill set and the prices they are quoting, I'd tell them to put the old fluid back in it, do the change myself once it was returned and I had verified they corrected the problem and didn't create new problems.

Thanks for the post. However, that is not the warranty sheet in my packet. Mine is the 2015 version, which does not have that entire section C in it. It looks identical to this one, except for the 3 yr powertrain instead of 6 yr, and this one is the 2017 version.

https://www.deere.com/assets/pdfs/common/parts-and-service/warranty-protection-plans/dc1360-2017-10-english.pdf

I did not request they do the service. I was very, very clear on this from the get go, repeated it multiple times.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
"Powertrain: transmission, transmission case, differential and
axle housings, clutch housings, MFWD front axle assembly, AND ALL PARTS CONTAINED THEREIN (does not include external drivelines, dry clutch parts, or
steering cylinders)."

John Deere Hygard part #TY22000 :mocking:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I know when I bought my X580 I was mowing a couple weeks later and lost power. Looked under it and there was fluid everywhere. Called my dealer and they come and picked it up. A hydraulic line was not connected to the frame from the factory and the belt caught it and pulled it loose. They fixed the hose and refilled my fluid. No questions asked.

·
Premium Member
13,606 Posts
Well, I'm going to chime in, if your dealer is not willing to eat 4 gallons of Hygard while doing this warranty repair then they are not a dealer I would want to do business with. I am very fortunate to have an outstanding dealer, I'm sure they lost some fluid when changing my FEL lift cylinders and I paid for nothing, I had mentioned when they bring the tractor back I wanted an extra set of fuel filters so I could put them on for winter, they put them on for me at no charge. In the end of all of this I would hope that your dealer steps up and does the right thing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts