Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got 3 fields baled today. Finally got long enough window to get some baled. 77 round bales today. Both 790’s and the 4010 got a workout today. Probably cut couple more fields tomorrow as looks like dry week

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
I didnt see a round baler in your tag line......curious as to what your using and how you like it.....looks like smaller bales?

we are going to try to finish up next week...have a cut height extension kit on the way so i can cut higher......were doing small sq bales for horse people.....i did do 10 rounds to finish up one field just to get it up before a rain..

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didnt see a round baler in your tag line......curious as to what your using and how you like it.....looks like smaller bales?

we are going to try to finish up next week...have a cut height extension kit on the way so i can cut higher......were doing small sq bales for horse people.....i did do 10 rounds to finish up one field just to get it up before a rain..
New Holland 640. My Cousin’s baler, bought it used last spring as we just started doing round bales last year. Does a good job, and is in really good shape. Guy he bought it from takes good care of his equipment. Have been doing nothing but square until last year. We are a family farm and share equipment. 5x5 bales easier for us to store and handle. We still do some 3rd cutting square for inside feeding.

·
Registered
769 Posts
New Holland 640. My Cousin’s baler, bought it used last spring as we just started doing round bales last year. Does a good job, and is in really good shape. Guy he bought it from takes good care of his equipment. Have been doing nothing but square until last year. We are a family farm and share equipment. 5x5 bales easier for us to store and handle. We still do some 3rd cutting square for inside feeding.

i can relate to the 14t and 24t...used a 24t till this year and found a 336 really not much difference 336 is a bit less worn and a bit more reliable so far ....like you the 24t is on a family members hobby farm still kicking out bales.....amazing old balers i often wonder how many bales they have made over the years.....i would sure like to find a old 4 x 4 round baler ....my round baler is a old 6 x 6 chain baler semi-reliable but 10-20 a day would be all it wants LOL ...we have been struggling with overly thick hard to dry hay this year......thanks for sharing i really enjoy seeing and doing the process..

you should include some cutting pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can relate to the 14t and 24t...used a 24t till this year and found a 336 really not much difference 336 is a bit less worn and a bit more reliable so far ....like you the 24t is on a family members hobby farm still kicking out bales.....amazing old balers i often wonder how many bales they have made over the years.....i would sure like to find a old 4 x 4 round baler ....my round baler is a old 6 x 6 chain baler semi-reliable but 10-20 a day would be all it wants LOL ...we have been struggling with overly thick hard to dry hay this year......thanks for sharing i really enjoy seeing and doing the process..

you should include some cutting pictures
14t I keep around for a back up. Last time it baled was 3 years ago (ran like a top)when I did a field for a friend and other baler was doing another field. Wish I knew how many bales it has done in its life, as it was my great Uncles that he bought new. Thought about selling it as it most likely will never be used again as I have a 24t and so does my cousin. Probably wouldn’t get anything For it.
I’ll try to get some cutting pic’s, haven’t been in front of the haybine yet this year. Cousin has been doing the cutting, seams like I’ve been running equipment around. I didn’t even Tedder, Uncle was on the Tedder. Only Tedder one field this time.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not the best pics, but cousin cutting front of small field next to buddies house. Hauled equipment over there last evening. Finished before dark. Thick and tall. First cut for this field also. Try to get better pic next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
Not the best pics, but cousin cutting front of small field next to buddies house. Hauled equipment over there last evening. Finished before dark. Thick and tall. First cut for this field also. Try to get better pic next time.

in our humidity and with mice nests in the field cutting thick hay like that with a sickle type cutter presented quite the challenge for sure .......

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
Almost done. Baled the last 4 acres this afternoon, but not without incident. Due to a real crappy spool of twine not pulling out of the center as it should we snapped the string, that caused the other side to bind and both knotters were wound up with twine. Took them apart and untangled the mess, rethreaded the one side, this was about 20 bales into our afternoon. Started in again without tension just to make sure both knots were tying, popped the shear bolt in all of 15 feet, one side wound twine up around the knotter again took it apart and cleaned it off and we were finally off to the races. All this with two crescent wrenches, a pair of vice grips and the dullest pocket knife I’ve ever used. Lost a valuable hour but still finished what we started. 370 bales with three windrows that will make 2-3 round bales tomorrow.

218 bales on this one.
In case any of you haven’t stacked wagons from a belt kicker baler.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Almost done. Baled the last 4 acres this afternoon, but not without incident. Due to a real crappy spool of twine not pulling out of the center as it should we snapped the string, that caused the other side to bind and both knotters were wound up with twine. Took them apart and untangled the mess, rethreaded the one side, this was about 20 bales into our afternoon. Started in again without tension just to make sure both knots were tying, popped the shear bolt in all of 15 feet, one side wound twine up around the knotter again took it apart and cleaned it off and we were finally off to the races. All this with two crescent wrenches, a pair of vice grips and the dullest pocket knife I’ve ever used. Lost a valuable hour but still finished what we started. 370 bales with three windrows that will make 2-3 round bales tomorrow.

218 bales on this one.

Looks good:thumbup1gif:
Hate that when you get a bad spool of twine. We had to play with the round baler last year when we started. Had to find twine it liked, seam picky but doing good now.
Must be a pain to load and unload from a kicker wagon?
Will get another field done today. Kinda goofy field but decent hay. Checked it last night and almost could have baled but wait until today.

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
pulling all that with the 2025r??? :laugh::laugh::lolol::greentractorride:
I'm sure it could have done it :hide: :lol:
Seriously, I didn't even dare to pull that down off the hill with the Ford 5000, FIL law brought that one down with the 2555 and I brought the kicked on wagon down with the Ford. :good2:

218 bales on this one.

Looks good:thumbup1gif:
Hate that when you get a bad spool of twine. We had to play with the round baler last year when we started. Had to find twine it liked, seam picky but doing good now.
Must be a pain to load and unload from a kicker wagon?
Will get another field done today. Kinda goofy field but decent hay. Checked it last night and almost could have baled but wait until today.
Yup, seems the twine is not nearly the quality it used to be. :banghead:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,770 Posts

·
Registered
12,309 Posts

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
...curious.....do you run your 1411 at full pto rpms? ..........everytime i mow hay i have ugly rememberances of sickle type haybines i would hate to go back....
No, we run 1950-2000 rpms, 540 is at about 2200.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man just got in the house and shower. Hot muggy today. Mowed Moms lawn this morning. Then went to checked hay and cousin beat to raking which was good. Went and grabbed another wagon and we got 42 rounds, baled loaded and hauled home
(3 miles one way). Tired time for bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
cut the last of our 1st cutting hay we are doing this year ...looks like about 3ton/a hay going to need a lot of teddering :) and good weather...one man show here so rare to get action pics unless female unit is around (brome and timothy) planted this field last fall....field pics are same field angle ,hay view is just out in the field (closer)...cut it as high as the machine would do with skid extensions ~7" stubble-ish

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
we small square baled most of the field yesterday....we use a accumulagrapple to put them on trailers/wagons and then park them under cover till i get around to unloading them......but usually someone else will want some hay so usually as we finish up if i have time i will hook up a bale basket and put 50-100 bales in it park it under cover till they come get it and dump it under a shade tree and let them load it themselves...saves me several handlings of the bales...thought you guys might like a bale basket picture in process we put 60 bales in it this time

Attachments

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Squared 70 for guy that owns small field for his horse. Then we round baled rest and got 25. Sorry no pic my phone was lost until I got back home. Found it in Gator right were i left it :banghead:.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts