Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably not providing any fresh information but here are my first impressions of the 855 and Earthcavator as part of my evaluation to purchase this equipment.

The tractor is very easy to operate and seems to handle the steep incline of our long driveway well. The power seems more than adequate, not much less than the 34 hp Kubota that I rented previously. I especially liked the forward/back foot controls and were much easier to operate than the Kubota rocker type foot control. My only complaint with the JD pedals is they seemed stiff. The FEL and back blade controls were in a good position and were easy to use. I'm not sure if there is a float position with either or both of them. I couldn't really tell. I'm not real happy about the diesel fumes that I ingested in the hour or so of operating the tractor. I don't remember that being an issue with the Kubota. Anyone else have this complaint? The 4WD was a real plus considering the steep slope. I'm glad to have it. The Earthcavator seems like a good attachment. I wasn't able to get a feel for how to set up the blade depth. It was hard to keep it from digging in too much.

·
Premium Member
10,200 Posts
Some pictures would be great, sounds like you got a nice setup!

Your three point hitch should float when you let it all the way down. Most 3 point hitches don't have down pressure, which means when you lower it all the way it can float upwards and follow the terrain. As for the exhaust, have you checked the system to make sure there are no leaks, holes, etc?

·
Administrator
22,257 Posts
You can control how much "bite" you boxblade has by controlling the angle. Adjust your top link on your 3PH shorter for a more aggressive bite. Lengthen the link to tilt the boxblade back and make it float more. Some experimenting on your part will quickly let you know what works best for your job. :good2:

You can always start a new thread in the implements and attachments forum on question you might have on using your attachments.:thumbup1gif:

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
740 Posts
So that people know what an Earthcavator looks like, it IS NOT like a regular box blade. An Earthcavator is the name that Gannon put on what is a roll-over box blade. Gannon was the first company to have this type of implement and was very high tech for it's time. When other companies started to copy it is when these types of implement became known as a roll-over box blade. :bye:

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Which is the better of the two?

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
740 Posts
Which is the better of the two?
Opinions vary on that. For commercial use the std type box with a floating rear blade and hydraulic rippers is the preferred choice and has all but replaced the roll-over box blade.

A couple of the big pluses of the roll-over is that first off, you can put the rippers down with out getting off of the tractor. Another thing is you don't really need to always be adjusting the top link. Pretty much get the box set level front to back and you are good to go. Because the box rotates for use forwards and backwards, the moldboard is always set once you have it set. A std box has to have the top link constantly adjusted in & out to get the cutting edges to do what needs to be done, thus the huge advantage to have a hydraulic top link for use with a std type box blade.

Have in mind that Gannon designed the Earthcavator before there were ANY rear hydraulics in use and their box could be used in 3 separate positions for 4 different functions ALL with out getting off of the tractor, just by pulling on a lever. :good2: My opinion is that even today the roll-over box blade is a GREAT implement to have and use, all with no hydraulics required. :bye:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Much appreciated and useful information. Thanks!

The Earthcavator on the tractor I'm considering purchasing is 48" wide. The wheel width on the 855 tractor is about 53". Would it make more sense to have a rear blade at least 54" wide or is the 48" good enough?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As promised, here is a picture of the 855 I'm considering purchasing. The Bobcat behind it is a backup in case the 855 doesn't work out. The Bobcat is obviously more expensive but it is bigger and new. I don't know how many hours are on the 855 so its reliability is a concern. Which one would you pick?

Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Motor vehicle

·
Registered
934 Posts
Nice tractor there, you'll enjoy the power that it has and the simplicity operating it. I noticed the front lights in the hood have been covered up with duct tape. On mine, I find those lights are useless for night operating and the lights in the rear fenders are good until the front bucket gets in the way. I am planning on installing two LED lights in my ROPS facing forwards and two more on the rear fenders facing backwards; replacing the single work light on the right rear fender.

Bob

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
740 Posts
As promised, here is a picture of the 855 I'm considering purchasing. The Bobcat behind it is a backup in case the 855 doesn't work out. The Bobcat is obviously more expensive but it is bigger and new. I don't know how many hours are on the 855 so its reliability is a concern. Which one would you pick?

View attachment 14141
Depends on cost. If they were both free, but I could only have one of them, I would take the Bobcat. :bye:

·
Administrator
22,655 Posts
FYI on the Bobcat: It is made by Kioti and has a Daedong engine: Daedong Diesel Engines | Kioti Tractors. The entire tractor is made in Korea. Bobcat has dropped it from their product line so its a bit of an orphan now.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Being a Deere forum we have a bias towards Deere, but if you can get a good deal on the Bobcat, that may be a good way to go. They are Korean, but I've heard some good things.

Kenny, I didn't hear that until you said that. Can't say I'm to surprised. If you do end up going the route of the Bobcat, make sure you have a dealer who is going to work with you down the road. You don't want to be left out to dry with a new tractor. Make sure you have your full warranty and yadda yadda. I'd be more confident you'd be able to find parts for the 855 John Deere at your Deere dealer than for the Bobcat 15-20 years from now.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Depends on cost. If they were both free, but I could only have one of them, I would take the Bobcat. :bye:
I would agree with MtnViewRanch as well if they were both free. But since we know they are not, which would be best depends on many factors. One would be your finances and the costs of each unit. Of course if you had the money to buy the Bobcat then I might look to see what else I could get for that amount especially after Kenny gave the update on what Bobcat has done with that line of their tractors. But if all you got is what you can get the 855 for and if it is a fare price for it based upon its hours, age etc and if the tractor is in good condition based upon the hours, meaning it has not been beet or road on hard and if it runs good then maybe that is the best way to go unless you can find something else better for the money that you have to spend. Another factor is regarding what you need it to do for you. Will the 855 do what you need. Also is there a JD dealer near you where you can get help if need be. Is there someone who knows JD tractors well that could take a look at it for you and give you their opinion. You're the only one who can tell all of these facts. It seems like at least one other user on this list RLTherio likes his 655 and he sounds like he knows it well too. If the tractor will do all that you need it to do and all the other factors are met then maybe he can help you out regarding any questions on the 855.

I don't know if that is helpful or not. I trust you will be directed in the right way to make a wise and educated decision based upon all the facts. Remember you have to like the tractor as well.

After reading MtnViewRanch's description of the flip over box blade and looking at the pictures I really like it.

Happy tractoring.

Reactions: dieselshadow

·
Registered
934 Posts
My little 655 does have its limitation. I've read in a few places that it is under-powered; 16 hp, 10 hp at the rear PTO. It is too small to equip it with a backhoe. Now that I own it for over a year and done more reading on this site and got to know the bigger of the 55 series, I would have gotten the 955, but only for the backhoe feature. But having a backhoe is something that I could use but its not something I need every week or so. During the summer months, my 655 with its 50 inch mid-mower deck is just the right size for the lawn that I currently have. So I guess I am happy with my little 655. It's easy to work on, haven't had any major issues with it; only that the pick-up screen at the bottom of the fuel tank fell off due to the short rubber hose broke and it would cause me to run out of fuel even though the fuel gauge says I still have a 1/3 of a tank left and the need to install rear chains on my R4 tires for traction in the snow/ice.

Bob

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
740 Posts
Being a Deere forum we have a bias towards Deere, but if you can get a good deal on the Bobcat, that may be a good way to go. They are Korean, but I've heard some good things.

Kenny, I didn't hear that until you said that. Can't say I'm to surprised. If you do end up going the route of the Bobcat, make sure you have a dealer who is going to work with you down the road. You don't want to be left out to dry with a new tractor. Make sure you have your full warranty and yadda yadda. I'd be more confident you'd be able to find parts for the 855 John Deere at your Deere dealer than for the Bobcat 15-20 years from now.
I doubt that Bobcat will be going out of business any time soon. I'm sure that they will honor the warranty that comes with the tractor when purchased. Bobcat services other Bobcat tractors that are no longer made. It really isn't anything to worry about. :bye:

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I doubt that Bobcat will be going out of business any time soon. I'm sure that they will honor the warranty that comes with the tractor when purchased. Bobcat services other Bobcat tractors that are no longer made. It really isn't anything to worry about. :bye:
Don't think Bobcat's going under... but they are ending the Kioti relationship. Which to me would be a long term concern for parts, of course you could always get parts from a Kioti dealer, just might not match the paint scheme. My comment about warranty was not wether they would honor it, Bobcat (Doosan) is a stand up company, I really like their products. I was just wondering if they were still going to do the same length warranty they have in the past.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
740 Posts
Don't think Bobcat's going under... but they are ending the Kioti relationship. Which to me would be a long term concern for parts, of course you could always get parts from a Kioti dealer, just might not match the paint scheme. My comment about warranty was not wether they would honor it, Bobcat (Doosan) is a stand up company, I really like their products. I was just wondering if they were still going to do the same length warranty they have in the past.
I would think so. I'm pretty sure that they have promised to carry parts for a minimum of 10 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.