Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had what is considered a garden tractor. My last was a 1987 JD 316 that I got when I got my new '09 compact. It served me well for these last 10 years. Unfortunate that it developed issues that made my mind up for me to not put anymore money into it, and just get rid of it. I used it to cut the bulk of the grass around the house. It sat broke in the barn last year. I was able to part ways with it this past May. I push mowed last year and this year. Really too much manual mowing for sure.

My wife says to me you can't keep push mowing all that grass, and she is absolutely right. So what to do. I don't really need a garden tractor. A riding mower will do just fine. Well, I set out searching the used market. I wanted to deal with private sellers too. They are out there no doubt. My biggest concern was the distance I might have to travel to see one. I wanted to stay with JD, if at all possible. I would have settled on a Cub Cadet if it come down to that.:)

Well, I figured for the heck of it I'd try my JD dealer. Turns out he had a really nice selection of used. I kind of settled on an older one that was in really nice shape and looked well maintained. A 2003 LX277 with 588 hours. He told me the hour meter had stopped working at some point, and they estimate hours. If it's a well kept machine, hours aren't super critical, but my wife didn't like that. Actually, I didn't either. Plus the fact it was manual steering and the deck wasn't hydraulically actuated. I would have wanted to put a new seat on it too, as it had a few decent rips in it. There were some X Series all pretty nice, but I balked at spending alot bucks on used, so I quit and told my wife I think we're done here, and even though it's alot of work I'll just keep pushin'. Emphatically the wife said NO YOU WON'T!

She asked me what new would cost, and I said way more than we can afford to spend. She wanted to look anyway. They had a ton from the E Series to the really big X Series. Well folks, to cut this post off here, we walked out after signing papers on a sweet new 2019 X390!:good2: Go figure! It was mainly the wife's doing!:unknown:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
The x390 is nice, power steering and hydro lift. Did you get or look into the power mulch control. I got that with my 19 X590.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Nice mower and the wife is a keeper for sure !!!! :greentractorride:

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
Yep, your wife is a keeper. I have a 2006 X320 that I bought new and it's serve me well over the last 13 plus years. I'm glad you stepped over the E series - after having a 318, I doubt if you would have like an E-series tractor.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Congratulations on the new machine, so much nicer than whatever surprises may have been in store buying used.
I'm really touched by your loving wife who doesn't want to see you suffering out there.
That is a great blessing, take it from a lonely old man.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
When I read the title I thought of it being a newbie with his first tractor only to find that very far from the truth.

Good for you on the new x390! I would have gone through the exact same process. Hate dealing with “people” so would be looking at dealers for used stuff. In the end I likely would end up doing the exact same thing as you did.

I’ve been tempted lately to get a dedicated mowing machine. My old 2520 does fine but it’s just hard to get in and off. And I don’t want a zero turn anymore as with a lawn tractor I could do other tasks like pull a cart around and stuff.

I’m glad you got what you wanted. Life is getting too short for us to compromise.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
GLC,

A dedicated mowing tractor is the best solution if you already have all your other tractor needs covered by your CUT. You got a really nice one!!

At my prior Oregon property we bought an X304 for the wife to use (her choice...) because of the AWS and the many obstacles in our hardscape...the 322 and the X495 I had a while for the wide open areas were not well suited for that mowing. Mine was an early 2007 so it had the slightly more robust transmission than the entry level x300. Here are some shots of the yard area showing why an all wheel steer unit was a blessing:

cherry blossoms starting 2010 low res.jpg

side yard.jpg

view from gazebo.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
Congratulations on your new tractor. I am glad you purchased what I would call a "lawn tractor" instead of a "lawn mower". The X390 is even technically a "Lawn and Garden Tractor" as you can use ground engaging implements without any issues. It should last you for many years trouble free. Plus now you can mow and carry a cold drink, instead of pushing the mower.

As you know, photo's of the equipment are required here on GTT, while photo's of the operator are optional......:laugh: Otherwise, we consider such posts as "hearsay" when the evidence is lacking......:good2:

Looking forward to your new machines arrival home and your posting of the mandatory evidentiary photos.....
Congratulations.....:bigthumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
You did good, Greg and yes, that wife of yours is a keeper! The price may be a little hard to swallow now but I'd wager a Washington or two it will seem like a bargain ten or fifteen years from now. When we bought this place 12+ years ago we hadn't given much thought we to how we going to take care of the property. We looked at a few L series at the big box stores and finally decided to go to the local Deere dealer about 4 miles away. I was a little apprehensive- we live in farm country (there's more than few 9 series running around) and wasn't sure how they'd treat a little old homeowner looking for a lawn tractor. I needn't have worried. First thing the salesman (Dean) asks is "What do want to do with it?" and then " What's your property like? " I mention mowing 2.5 acres, keeping 300' of driveway and turnaround clear in the winter, two steep hills and that we'd looked at the L series. Dean says, "You don't want that" and steered us to an X320 and a 44" snowblower. I gulped at the price then but 12 years and almost 1100 hours later it seems like a bargain. I'm convinced we would have gone through two or three lesser tractors if we had decided to go cheap.

Best of luck on your new tractor. Post some pics when you get a chance.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know, I know! It didn't happen without pics. It will be delivered this coming week. I didn't even think of taking pictures of it at the dealer.
Is a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty the norm?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I know, I know! It didn't happen without pics. It will be delivered this coming week. I didn't even think of taking pictures of it at the dealer.
Is a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty the norm?
Yep got the same with the x590.

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
Congratulations on your new tractor. I am glad you purchased what I would call a "lawn tractor" instead of a "lawn mower". The X390 is even technically a "Lawn and Garden Tractor" as you can use ground engaging implements without any issues. It should last you for many years trouble free. Plus now you can mow and carry a cold drink, instead of pushing the mower.

As you know, photo's of the equipment are required here on GTT, while photo's of the operator are optional......:laugh: Otherwise, we consider such posts as "hearsay" when the evidence is lacking......:good2:

Looking forward to your new machines arrival home and your posting of the mandatory evidentiary photos.....
Congratulations.....:bigthumb:
Technically, the X390 is not a lawn and garden tractor. It has the K58 lawn tractor transaxle, not the K7X nor the K6X heavier duty transaxles. Plus it has the 22 inch rear tires, that are not bolt on. Yes, Deere offers the front shovel, but that is offered on all X300 series lawn tractors. I can get one for my X320. But I wouldn't as that would be too much for the X300 series frame and the K58 transmission, in my opinion. Ground engaging equipment would include things like a rear blade, moldboard plow, disc, and would have an option for an integral hitch or 3 point hitch, which none of those are offer nor recommended for the X390. So, technically it's a lawn tractor. You have to move up to the X500 series to get a lawn and garden tractor.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Terry thanks for the info. I guess I didn't look at it close enough at the dealer. I would hope the wheel deal doesn't present any problems. I hope the K58 tranny is still a decent one. The tractor is going to be a dedicated grass cutter. Not even a full acre of grass. The 2520 will do all the more involved chores.:)

I'll have to change my avatar too!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Greg,

As a dedicated mower you should have no issues... Our 2007 x304 has been used to mow lawns at our 2.4 acre property in Oregon as illustrated above and then on a one acre property here in Idaho. We tow small carts and a 15 gallon sprayer but we have never used it with ground engaging attachments (since the 322 was used for that sort of thing -- front blade, center blade, 30 H tiller, etc.) No issues have been found on the x304 for these mowing and towing jobs.

Enjoy your new machine. Looking forward to the pictures of it hard at work at your place.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Pretty sure you'll enjoy it Greg.

About a year ago the Mrs. and I started looking for a lawn tractor to replace our 20 yr old Craftsman. Went into the dealer to look at new just to get an idea on what series would be good for us. I wanted a X590 but she thought it was to big, because of the rear tires. She liked the X3xx series, so we decided a X390 would be the one to get because it had power steering and power lift. About $6k, so we decided to wait some more and keep putting money away. Well, a couple months ago I was at the dealer and stumbled across a well kept 2014 X360, 48" deck, 290 hrs, for half the price. It was delivered the next day.

My understanding is the X360 in its day is what the X390 is today. I like it for what it is and the Mrs. loves it. We don't use it for anything but mowing, with the occasional pulling a lawn cart, and I wouldn't use it for anything but that. Like you, we have a larger tractor to do the 'heavy stuff'. I see us having the X360 for many years to come. I think you'll enjoy your new ride too.

Congratulations :thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, here's a couple pics of my new X390. Engine is a Kawasaki 22 horse twin cylinder. It will reside in the barn with the 2520.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Looks very nice. Much the same as my X360. :thumbup1gif:

Surprised you didn't get a front bumper or grille guard.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Also, for about $15, you can add a 12V accessory port if it doesn't have one, and uses the micro blade type fuses. About $30-40 for the kit that uses the larger mini-fuses.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks very nice. Much the same as my X360. :thumbup1gif:

Surprised you didn't get a front bumper or grille guard.
If they make a guard for the tractor maybe I should ask! No doubt a front guard would be sweet!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts