Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morn was time for the first oil change. After looking at how the crankcase drain valve and the oil filter trough/tube were arranged, I was not ready for a mess.
First things first. The short tube connected below the oil filter was replaced with a longer hose. It worked nicely. After use, it tucks in through the hole outside the frame, and down between the engine mount/frame-rail. Will it stay there? Time will tell. The crankcase drain valve was in an ideal location. With the draft bar removed. Which I didn't think of removing until after there was a mess on the floor. :unknown::laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,999 Posts
For a total mess-free solution try the oil sucker route. I no longer fiddle with the drain plugs on any of my small engines.

And for that one-two punch for any oil filter related drippings, try a Form-A-Funnel. You can bend it around to fit right up under the oil filter and direct any drippings into a catch pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd guess the items mentioned work good for some applications. However, the oil drain valve location on the FD750D allows a nice "purge" to flush any foreign particles out.
The current funnel catch below the oil filter is also decent after adding a longer hose.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did my X739 a few week back and it was the simplest oil change I've ever done. The new ball valve drain is super. Afterwords I used an AOD pump to pull any remaining oil out of the crank.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Oil changes are easy. Just need containers that fit in there. I use a small bucket for the crankcase tube and an old pie pan for the filter. Takes about 5 minutes to change. Getting to the valve isn't as easy as my old 425. But it's doable using a ratcheting 10 mm box wrench. JD is by far the best engineered that I have experienced when it comes to oil changes.

Now changing the hydraulic fluid is a whole different matter on these AWD tractors. Should be easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts