Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we got our first real snow. Nothing major, about 6" of fluffy stuff but it allowed me to use the tractor for its intended purpose this winter, snow removal. The tractor performed perfectly i will say, myself at one point though, not so much..... :/ I pulled it out of the garage and moved some snow with the bucket which I tend to gravitate towards by default and occasionally got off and adjusted the work lights to where they worked best. Then I got the bright idea that I wanted to use the snowblower to see how it performed. There must have been a disconnect between my hands and my brain as I had the throttle up fairly high and pulled the PTO switch and there was a loud pop and then nothing.... So I get off the machine and cycle through the PTO settings trying to get some signs of life out of the blower while I have that sinking "i broke something" feeling and finally deduced that i snapped a shear pin on the PTO driveshaft. A quick replacement and I was in business. Uggh, what a bonehead start to everything that was.
So the blower works great. It is a bit like bringing a hand grenade to a knife fight as it seemed very oversized for the job. I ended up running about 1/2 throttle and worked from one side of the driveway to the other blowing all 6" like it wasent even there. The blower scraped right down to pavement nicely and was probably the fastest I have ever done the driveway. I had no issue blowing the snow backing up, just kind of set the machine over for each pass and hammered down till I got to the garage and repeated the process. A quick pass in front of the doors with the loader and the job is done.
I can see a set of edge tamers being ordered for the loader for sure. Feeling very good about the purchase, what a jump up this is from the x310 with the 44" blower.. It almost seems like its "too big", but then again, there's no such thing when it comes to toys, ahem, I mean tractors.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
It only seems too big when you don't have that much snow.When that big one hits you'll be the popular guy on the street.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only seems too big when you don't have that much snow.When that big one hits you'll be the popular guy on the street.
Yeah, if the early snow is an indicator of things to come im sure itll seem smaller as the accumulation increases. We got some doosies last spring that brought the X310 to its knees eating belts like they were Pez. I just felt lil silly using the blower with such little snow, but I "had" to try it out of course! :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IS that the blower in your avatar ? That thing is bigger than your tractor .
lol, yeah that's the blower. Looked hard at the 54" Frontier but in the end went with the 48" because of a couple tight areas I have to do. Ive heard people say thet like the fact the 54 is a bit wider than the tractor especially when turning, but I really dont have any corners so it just would have been in the way more than the 48 is already. That puppy throws some snow though. Immensely further than the last blower. Hydraulic rotation and angle and ill be a happy camper. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another quick note, I am absolutely pleased with my decesion to use a rear blower with the loader vs a front mount. I was a bit worried after reading differing opinions but totally love having the loader on for all the buggers that get missed blowing. Edge tamers and this rig will shorten the time it takes for snow removal by 80%, not that it dident now I just have to be careful with the bucket edge.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Another quick note, I am absolutely pleased with my decesion to use a rear blower with the loader vs a front mount. I was a bit worried after reading differing opinions but totally love having the loader on for all the buggers that get missed blowing. Edge tamers and this rig will shorten the time it takes for snow removal by 80%, not that it dident now I just have to be careful with the bucket edge.
Do yourself a favor.
Look into a plow mounted on loader arms.
I have the same rear blower as you. It's a killer i agree.
Used a bucket for a couple years then went to plow. Unreal difference.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do yourself a favor.
Look into a plow mounted on loader arms.
I have the same rear blower as you. It's a killer i agree.
Used a bucket for a couple years then went to plow. Unreal difference.
Agreed, that would be the cats meow, having a JDQA blade on the loader arms. Ive plowed with a blade on a p/u truck off and on quite a bit over the years and know the speed of a blade. Its not great for moving banks etc, but for quick cleanup its fast.
Now that im dreaming having a cpl diverter valves for left/right angle would add to the convenience, but also add weight and cost.
Only problem I can see with this 1 series is going to be "where can I fit all the hydraulic valves, diverters and hoses/pipes" i want to get the functions envisioned. I know, should have bought a bigger tractor, but honestly I dont need a bigger frame and more weight. Itll lift plenty for what I have planned for it and it will be a great machine to have on hand for construction purposes. Its already silly big for mowing our lawn here in the city... :/

Glad to hear you like the blower as well. Is built like a tank and I can see many years of service out of it with good maintenance.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Agreed, that would be the cats meow, having a JDQA blade on the loader arms. Ive plowed with a blade on a p/u truck off and on quite a bit over the years and know the speed of a blade. Its not great for moving banks etc, but for quick cleanup its fast.
Now that im dreaming having a cpl diverter valves for left/right angle would add to the convenience, but also add weight and cost.
Only problem I can see with this 1 series is going to be "where can I fit all the hydraulic valves, diverters and hoses/pipes" i want to get the functions envisioned. I know, should have bought a bigger tractor, but honestly I dont need a bigger frame and more weight. Itll lift plenty for what I have planned for it and it will be a great machine to have on hand for construction purposes. Its already silly big for mowing our lawn here in the city... :/

Glad to hear you like the blower as well. Is built like a tank and I can see many years of service out of it with good maintenance.
I agree, it’s a decent investment.
I had the Artillian forks already.
I had to buy the Artillian adapter for JD plow.
I had to buy Artillian diverter kit to angle plow. Which is a wonderful quality kit by the way.
I had to buy the JD 54” plow.
Again, most will argue about the price. Me, it was just another investment into a machine that makes my life much easier and saves me a lot of time doing a specific task. Which is moving snow.
The loader plow makes snow removal fun.
And I know snow removal. Been driving tandems and Tri axle plows as well as loaders, backhoes graders, and believe it or not dozers removing snow for over 30 years.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I had to buy Artillian diverter kit to angle plow. Which is a wonderful quality kit by the way.
Again, most will argue about the price. Me, it was just another investment into a machine that makes my life much easier and saves me a lot of time doing a specific task. Which is moving snow.
And I know snow removal. Been driving tandems and Tri axle plows as well as loaders, backhoes graders, and believe it or not dozers removing snow for over 30 years.
Glad to hear you like the Artillian kit, thats what i was leaning towards whether its for a grapple or plow.
Quick question if you dont mind? Maybe im just missing something, but after a few youtube videos and some searching im still at a loss as to whether I would need 1 diverter valve up front for hydraulic angle or two? Aside from diverter switches operating skid steers I have very little experience with diverter valves. Im assuming when actuated via the switch the loader SCV operates normally but the valve sends fluid to the AUX function instead of bucket curl. So i guess the real question is do the plow cylinders require one valve or two?
Im hoping its just one valve as combined with the 3 rear SCV functions i want to plumb in that would be a heck of alot of hoses and valves on a space constrained tractor. :/

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Glad to hear you like the Artillian kit, thats what i was leaning towards whether its for a grapple or plow.
Quick question if you dont mind? Maybe im just missing something, but after a few youtube videos and some searching im still at a loss as to whether I would need 1 diverter valve up front for hydraulic angle or two? Aside from diverter switches operating skid steers I have very little experience with diverter valves. Im assuming when actuated via the switch the loader SCV operates normally but the valve sends fluid to the AUX function instead of bucket curl. So i guess the real question is do the plow cylinders require one valve or two?
Im hoping its just one valve as combined with the 3 rear SCV functions i want to plumb in that would be a heck of alot of hoses and valves on a space constrained tractor. :/
Only one diverter valve required.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts

Blue87fj60
Correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe you have to buy the Artillian diverter valve for the blade setup to angle the plow. The extension hose kit they sell will work for that but if you want full curl / angle capability then the diverter valve is required . . is that correct?:unknown: About a $400 difference if angle only will work for ya.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I used one Artillian HDK-H120-APP diverter valve kit with the 12v receptacle type of plug.
The valve block clamps nicely to loader frame. Reroute hoses as described.
The angle of the plow works from the dump/curl hydraulics.
When you want to angle plow simply hold button and move joystick as you would to curl/dump, plow will angle one way or other. Let go of button and curl/dump function returns.
Everything is top quality in kit.

*One thing i'm not sure of is if diverter and hoses would interfere with any type of cab.:dunno:

487F6820-0775-4A11-BB88-4E2C591D0726.jpg

EE512710-5CCD-440D-A1CB-C1CE61D95991.jpg

83D7D114-5995-41D7-B1C6-DE2D0F8F7A45.jpg

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Blue87fj60
Correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe you have to buy the Artillian diverter valve for the blade setup to angle the plow. The extension hose kit they sell will work for that but if you want full curl / angle capability then the diverter valve is required . . is that correct?:unknown: About a $400 difference if angle only will work for ya.
Not real sure on that exactly.
I think i know what lines you mean but i'm not sure how you could correct the drift of dump/curl cylinders if you were hardlined to only angle plow and couldn't keep fork frame tilted back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The idea they say on the website is that you set the curl angle you want, then disconnect and trust the cylinder to hold it more or less. I'll let you know, I couldn't justify the diverter (not until I get more serious about getting a grapple) so I have just the hose extension kit. Arrived yesterday after the snow, but I'll post next time. I'm guessing I might have to stop once or twice, swap to the other hoses in the quick connect, and reset the angle, but we'll see.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The idea they say on the website is that you set the curl angle you want, then disconnect and trust the cylinder to hold it more or less. I'll let you know, I couldn't justify the diverter (not until I get more serious about getting a grapple) so I have just the hose extension kit. Arrived yesterday after the snow, but I'll post next time. I'm guessing I might have to stop once or twice, swap to the other hoses in the quick connect, and reset the angle, but we'll see.
Gotcha.
Yeah let us know what you think of that set up out of curiosity.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate the replies everyone! I know these are probably basic questions that have been explained before, but for the life of me I couldn't put the pieces together after reading a few posts. I am confident I have a firm grasp of whats needed now.
I think the loader mounted blade will be in the future at some point, no matter what the diverter kit will get installed to have a function up front waiting whether for the plow angle or grapple.
I think when I can carve out the time and money after Xmas, ill wait for a week that looks snow free and try to get all the hydraulic work done at once so I dont have to keep tearing the tractor apart evey cpl of months to add the hydraulics I want. After alot of help here and some reading and pricing, ill go with these additions.

-Frontier SB1148 hydraulic rotation
-Frontier SB1148 hydraulic chute angle
-prince 3 valve block/with motor spool capability via re-configuration of one of the valves.
-hard "hopefully" hydro lines for the rear hydraulic loop off power beyond with hose where needed.
-Mount for the 6 quick connects at the rear
-Artillian diverter valve for the front

That probably covers it, i can hear the wallett screaming already. :/ lol

·
Premium Member
9,162 Posts
Edge Tamers work great to save the bucket edge. However if you want to clean down to bare pavement, not so much.

BX Expanded makes a tooth bar without teeth, basically a replaceable cutting edge.

BXpanded Piranha Straight Bar

1 - 20 of 23 Posts