Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
If you don't need the MMM, that means you probably won't be taking the loader off often if at all, I would think a 3025e would do fine for that. Get your tires ballasted, and if you are going to be doing a bunch of grading work, a hydraulic top link is worth its weight in gold.

I am now investigating hydraulic top links! My JAW dropped when I saw one of the top and tilt kits from Fit Rite!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The Saga Continues:

I went to the Oxford Ag-Pro yesterday to drop off the Z355e for service and to sit on some tractors. According to the Sales Rep I spoke with they don't sell many R's so they had none in stock. They only had 1025R's, 3025e's and one 3038e. I got to drive the 25e and think it will be enough tractor for what I intend to do. Also seeing it in person is leading me to believe the 370b is actually going to be a good investment based on how big it would be!

Now onto the bad part. I didn't get the feeling the sales rep thought I was actually looking to buy a tractor, which I can understand, but I didn't particularly enjoy the encounter. They had no 270b's in stock and the salesman said he'd have to source one and order it. So I asked about the power beyond kit, third function for a root grapple, and potentially a 4th function if I wanted to run two separate clamps for the grapple, and he gave me some lip service about how they'd have to order all of that and it would get kind of expensive to have it all installed. Then he told me to just come back when I'm ready to buy and he'll give me a quote because everything changes on the 1st of each month and so if he gave me a quote now it could change.

overall I wasn't impressed.

·
Premium Member
9,784 Posts
Wow. Sounds like the only thing he didn't do was suggest you go check out the orange tractors....

I guess you shouldn't have bothered him and interrupted his solitaire game.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Saga Continues:

I went to the Oxford Ag-Pro yesterday to drop off the Z355e for service and to sit on some tractors. According to the Sales Rep I spoke with they don't sell many R's so they had none in stock. They only had 1025R's, 3025e's and one 3038e. I got to drive the 25e and think it will be enough tractor for what I intend to do. Also seeing it in person is leading me to believe the 370b is actually going to be a good investment based on how big it would be!

Now onto the bad part. I didn't get the feeling the sales rep thought I was actually looking to buy a tractor, which I can understand, but I didn't particularly enjoy the encounter. They had no 270b's in stock and the salesman said he'd have to source one and order it. So I asked about the power beyond kit, third function for a root grapple, and potentially a 4th function if I wanted to run two separate clamps for the grapple, and he gave me some lip service about how they'd have to order all of that and it would get kind of expensive to have it all installed. Then he told me to just come back when I'm ready to buy and he'll give me a quote because everything changes on the 1st of each month and so if he gave me a quote now it could change.

I had a very similar encounter here last week. Not impressed with the sales guy. He acted like didnt want to sell me a tractor.

The dealership here has sold so many lately, I kind of wonder if they just aren't that motivated to sell right now. He did state that since March he has sold more tractors than any time period before.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've seen on Tractor TIme with
I had a very similar encounter here last week. Not impressed with the sales guy. He acted like didnt want to sell me a tractor.

The dealership here has sold so many lately, I kind of wonder if they just aren't that motivated to sell right now. He did state that since March he has sold more tractors than any time period before.

I would think if they're doing a ton of business they wouldn't want to stop? Hell I remember when I had a couple good months selling fridges back in my college days and it actually made me excited to go to work, for a change.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've seen on Tractor TIme with

I would think if they're doing a ton of business they wouldn't want to stop? Hell I remember when I had a couple good months selling fridges back in my college days and it actually made me excited to go to work, for a change.
I see that you and I are very close in age. It could be a bias where many times they dont think younger guys cant afford a tractor. I have had it buying a vehicle before. They dont want to waste their time on someone who is just 'tire kicking'.

Anyway, there is another salesman at our dealership who isnt worthless so I will talk to him next time I go.

If I were you it might be worth just contacting another dealership. Let them know you are interested and local salesman wasnt interested in helping.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
So I asked about the power beyond kit, third function for a root grapple, and potentially a 4th function if I wanted to run two separate clamps for the grapple, and he gave me some lip service about how they'd have to order all of that and it would get kind of expensive to have it all installed.
I had a great dealer/salesman to work with, so didn't have that frustration. Still, I think buying from stock and adding accessories can be problematic. I ended up doing a factory order get the loader and 3rd function right from the start. Fourth function can be added very nicely with Kenny D's kit. It allows me to toggle between hydraulic top link and bucket open/close with the press of a toggle.

The Fit Right top link is pricey and the wait is long, but they are dang works of art. Pair that with Kenny's selector and you'll have a first class set up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There are
I had a great dealer/salesman to work with, so didn't have that frustration. Still, I think buying from stock and adding accessories can be problematic. I ended up doing a factory order get the loader and 3rd function right from the start. Fourth function can be added very nicely with Kenny D's kit. It allows me to toggle between hydraulic top link and bucket open/close with the press of a toggle.

The Fit Right top link is pricey and the wait is long, but they are dang works of art. Pair that with Kenny's selector and you'll have a first class set up.
Thank you for the recommendation, went down another rabbit hole of aftermarket parts! I was wondering how much of a pain it would be to do it myself. It may actually make the entire process easier to stomach for the wife if I buy implements / parts over time. Having the root-grapple though I feel would be really useful for ripping out brush and moving logs from the start.

UGH.

Wife says I can't have it all but I'll find a way. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Thank you for the recommendation, went down another rabbit hole of aftermarket parts! I was wondering how much of a pain it would be to do it myself.
I didn't think it was a difficult installation. Here's the thread I posted when I got it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Saga Continues:

As far as I know after dealing with quotes and pricing on the new tractor, once its quoted it stays the same. I had one dealer give me an email rough quote, that was pretty much retail, and it had the same kind of language, come in when you are ready and we will sit down and do a quote. I didn't buy it from them. My dealer ordered my 4052R in January and it showed up June 11th, it was then at the dealer for 2 weeks getting the hydraulics, spacers, filled tires and other accessories installed. The salesman never mentioned prices once over the 6 months, and I paid what I was quoted. He did mention that they were getting 7-15 calls a day about having a 4052R in there inventory from other dealers wanting to trade for it, even though it was marked sold.

I see that you and I are very close in age. It could be a bias where many times they dont think younger guys cant afford a tractor. I have had it buying a vehicle before. They dont want to waste their time on someone who is just 'tire kicking'.
I also experienced this when I was looking for my new tractor, they didn't want to take me seriously at all. It only seemed to get worse when I mentioned that I already owned a 1025R TLB, and was looking for a second tractor. One of the larger dealers in the area lost out on a chance for a sale, and I waited for my tractor to be built, not buying one that sat outside all winter and was still on the lot.

Reactions: rtgt and JoeyB

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Get the best tractor you can afford.
This is probably the best advice in the thread!!

I've spent the last 3 years clearing privet by hand and burning it.
This part of your original post got my attention. We don't have Privet in Ohio (that I know of) but from what I read, Privet is a lot like the honeysuckle that infests much of southern Ohio. I bought my 3520 mostly to help me clear the honeysuckle from our property. Overall it's a great sized machine for that, but I'd occasionally like some more lifting power up front. Check the specs on the loaders between the 3025 and the "R" tractors you're considering. You won't be sorry that you bought more lifting capacity.

I've spent a ton of money trying to find the "best implement" for removing honeysuckle. I think that a root grapple is the way to go. If the Privet is shallow rooted, you might find the same thing. My point of this is that you should make sure that you get the plumbing for a grapple included in your purchase.

The wife told me if I don't buy the backhoe and just rent a mini-ex she's okay with me buying a Woodland Mills HM130MAX, so I may just do that so I can have another toy.
Take a look at the WoodMizer's as well. They seem to be having some sort of sale on them right now. I know of several that are $500 off right now. Made in the USA.

The wife got sticker shock so I may have to compromise and not buy a new truck. 😅
My truck is a 2008. You're going to enjoy the tractor enough to make the sacrifice of not having a new truck. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Okay, so ignoring the decision between E and R for now... doing a lot of reading and research on hydraulics.

I will need a 3rd function for the grapple up front and will need Dual Rear Selective Controls for the hydraulic top link and tilt functions.

The Power-beyond is a direct line for items with controls like the backhoe or log splitter etc. Are they compatible with each other? I have read that they are not?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I will need a 3rd function for the grapple up front and will need Dual Rear Selective Controls for the hydraulic top link and tilt functions.

The Power-beyond is a direct line for items with controls like the backhoe or log splitter etc. Are they compatible with each other? I have read that they are not?
The power beyond and rear SCV's are shown as not compatible on the JD website. Maybe its an E thing, as I have both the power beyond, 3rd, 4th, and 5th SCV's on my new tractor.

Reactions: JoeyB

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The power beyond and rear SCV's are shown as not compatible on the JD website. Maybe its an E thing, as I have both the power beyond, 3rd, 4th, and 5th SCV's on my new tractor.
Right. So that's quite odd.

So you've got your 4052R set up how I'd want my 3 Series? 3rd for grapple, 4th and 5th for top and tilt and the Power-beyond for the backhoe.

·
Premium Member
9,784 Posts
It may actually make the entire process easier to stomach for the wife if I buy implements / parts over time.
That could backfire if she comes to the conclusion that you just keep pouring more money into "that tractor".

Most importantly - have the budget conversation with your spouse up front and come to a consensus on what the budget number is.

What is the plan for the tractor and related equipment once the project is done? How much value will the project add to your property and your families use of it? If you are the only one that sees the need to do this work, you are going to have a hard time getting the support for the big dollar stuff to do it. If there is buy in for the project and a timeline to do it, you'll get more support.

Start with a tractor budget that includes all the stuff you think you need/want. Round up a bit and add a little extra for "I didn't know/think of that".
Include annual maintenance, service & repair. You just took a Z to get serviced? Are you planning the same for the tractor? Is your trailer big enough? What about storage space?

This TOTAL COST number is what you are going to need to be able to agree on and budget/plan for. The number you and your wife agree on may not cover all of the stuff that was on the initial list but you have a real number to work with.

Now you have a number that you can use to go get the most bang for your buck when you go shopping and at this point you are a serious buyer.

I wanted a tractor for years. Then I wanted a bigger tractor. I still managed to get stuff done and a little at a time I got better toys to play with. Yes, I call them toys. They are not used to produce income, just personal satisfaction and enjoyment. We tend to see tractors differently as it appears they are "working / doing something" but in the end we're just playing on them. Some people have boats, campers, motorcycles, etc. I have tractors.

·
Premium Member
9,784 Posts
Reactions: PJR832 and JoeyB

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
@rtgt That's brilliant and well written. Thank you.

What is the plan for the tractor and related equipment once the project is done?

That was a question she posed to me early on by Annaka. "What will you do with it when you're done with the back? I don't want it to just sit there." I told her "Buy more land?" She laugh, I laughed, and then she poured herself a shot. rofl.

How much value will the project add to your property and your families use of it?
So my primary reasons for wanting a tractor are as follows:

1. Clear the property of privet, brush, and dig out stumps from tree removal. (This will open the property up for use!)
  2. Site prep for foundation of my cabin office / garage shop. (And potential tiny homes / area for my parents to park their campers for extended periods of time)
  3. Install CMP in three to four specific locations for bridges / road access.
  4. Expand the main stream to allow for better water flow and grade surrounding land to better drain into it.
  5. dig and landscape one of the streams into a waterfall for the wife to use as a backdrop for her photography and as a water feature on the property.
  6. LOTS of grading.
  7. driveway building and maintenance.
  8. LOTS of landscaping. Planting trees, shrubs etc.
  9. bush-hog for keeping swampy area cleaned up.
  10. building trails in the back of the property for us to ride dirt-bikes / side by sides. (there are a few but potential for MANY and much more fun designs!)
  11. on-going property maintenance.
  12. Moving logs to the mill (that I want) to be cut.
  13. To get out of the house and play on a tractor and enjoy the outdoors.
  14. Potential source of income (I have done some landscaping jobs on the side and this opens the door to bigger more labor intensive jobs.)

That's just off the top of my head. I can see myself staying here for many, many, many years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Right. So that's quite odd.

So you've got your 4052R set up how I'd want my 3 Series? 3rd for grapple, 4th and 5th for top and tilt and the Power-beyond for the backhoe.
You are correct, the backhoe will be ordered next winter.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I think @Kennyd can confirm this but I think there is some issues with adding additional remotes to the 3e machines. Somewhere I remember it couldn't be done because of the hydraulic scv that is already on the machine?

·
Premium Member
13,666 Posts
I'll throw a huge wrench in the mix.

IF my budget was cut off at a 3E, I'd buy a 2038R instead. You get more tractor in the large 2R and the basically the same capacities.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts