Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am purchasing a used 2210 with a 210 loader, mower deck, front 47" snowblower, weight-box, and cab with 40x hours this weekend and am pretty excited. I typically snowblow about seven driveways that typically hold 4 cars, 2x2, with my Ariens 7/24. I do this for elderly people and veterans in my neighborhood. I also heat my house with wood and my woodpile is about 80-100' from the house depending on where the stack is. I am looking for suggestions on approach to the above scenario. Do I leave the snowblower on all winter and get rear forks and pallet my wood? Trade/sell the front snowblower for a rear mounted one and get forks for the front? Some other method?

I know these tractors are limited in what they can lift at either end, and I have read some different methods of pallets, but any suggestions, especially from someone with a similarly powered tractor would be appreciated.

Currently no wheel weights or fluid filled tires. Should I do one of these? Both?
I burn about 4 cords a year and live in Natick, MA which is about 30 minutes West of Boston (for snow/weather reference)

On a side note, I usually hear chainsaws in the area and get 3-8 log lengths of xyz usually red oak or maple put in my driveway. This coming week I have about 8 cords of log-length being cut at a neighbors house and dropped in my yard, hopefully back yard), and would love some suggestions for managing this. Front pallet forks? Grapple?

Thanks a ton! I look forward to the forum,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
Welcome aboard Tinkertot. I applaud you for helping your neighbors out with snow removal. I'd say you'd be better off with the front mounted snowblower and using an inexpensive 3PH mounted carryall for your firewood moving duties.

For about $150 you can purchase this rear carrier frame from tractor supply: CountyLine Carry All - For Life Out Here You could put a wood deck with sides on it for a nice firewood carrier.

Chains + Fluid filled tires are always helpful with traction. Especially if you're going to be working on hilly driveways for snow duty. I'd recommend RV Antifreeze (Propylene Glycol) as it's inexpensive and good to -50˚below.

A set of forks for your front loader would be helpful for moving those log lengths. Check out Artillian's offerings as he's a GTT supporter and respected vendor. Here's the website for more info: http://www.artillian.com/

BTW, I'm in Littleton, MA and used to live down the street from you in Holliston for many years.

:gtfam:

·
Premium Member
15,070 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

:wgtt:
:bigthumb:

IMO since you have a Front snowblower coming with the 2210 that is what I would use . There is No Way I would get rid of my front snowblower for a rear ,wouldn't matter if I was doing one driveway or the # you do. Thanks for helping the elderly and vets.:bigthumb:

Buy a carry all for the rear and that way you could haul your firewood, just my 2 cents.

I have 50# wheel wights and for me chains on the rear wheels.

Since owning a 2210 and 2305 with the hydro fan under the tractor ,,,just beware...The blades on the fan have been know to break , and the bracket that holds the fan has been know (don't ask how I know) to fail .. the fan blade was around $35.00 the bracket about $150 just for the part.

Good luck with your new find ,ENJOY:bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Do you suggest the carryall for any particular reason over some forks and reasonably stacked pallets? Ideally I'd like to handle the wood less.

Is there a skid plate of some nature that will protect the fan? Is the bracket susceptible to breaking if you hit the fan on something or just breaking in general?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
Thanks guys. Do you suggest the carryall for any particular reason over some forks and reasonably stacked pallets? Ideally I'd like to handle the wood less.

Is there a skid plate of some nature that will protect the fan? Is the bracket susceptible to breaking if you hit the fan on something or just breaking in general?

Rear 3PH forks will do the job as well but you will have limited lift capabilities. I believe your 3PH is limited to about 700# as opposed to the front end loader that is closer to ~ 1000#.

I've heard of fan guards being made available by third party suppliers that bolt on fairly easily.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I think it has to do with how often you move wood. i.e.: do you want to drop the blower every time you move wood.

Congrats on the tractor and +1 for helping your neighbors!

:wgtt:

·
Premium Member
15,070 Posts
Yes there is a guard being sold on ebay yrs ago.. not sure if he is still doing so.
Reason for suggesting the rear carrier ,,you can leave the snowblower and all attachments in place ,instead of removing it just to carry in your firewood.
I'm thinking 15-25 mins removing snowblower and installing fel . same time to remove fel and install blower. I've done it a couple times a winter, don't like to but I have , just a thought..

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Rear 3PH forks will do the job as well but you will have limited lift capabilities. I believe your 3PH is limited to about 700# as opposed to the front end loader that is closer to ~ 1000#.

I've heard of fan guards being made available by third party suppliers that bolt on fairly easily.
They sell fan guards for the 2305 but I have not found any for the 2210.

If you handle logs and have any kind of unimproved property that you maintain then I suggest the artillian grapple. I have it on my 2210 and it is the tool I use the most. I also have artillian forks and used them a lot until I got the grapple. If the logs are an occasional task then I recommend the forks as it is a cheaper solution.

For hauling fire wood, look at a utility dump cart. You find them rated for up to 1000 lbs. I have an older one of these. The cool thing is it swivels and dumps. I have been unable to break it which is saying something.

Ohio Steel Industries

It works great for hauling wood, mulch, whatever. I paid $179 for it years ago. This might be a cheaper solution then a carryall.

I recommend getting some sort of ballast in addition to fluid in the tires or wheel weights as these tractors are fairly tippy. I have a Heavy Hitch from Heavy Hitch.com. Great product. It also serves as a receiver hitch so I can move my utility trailer around. A ballast box will work as well. If you have the money for a Imatch get one of those too. Makes life easier for any 3 pt attachments.

For the 2210 itself a word of caution. The fan blade does like to break but that is minor problem compared to the drive shaft and will not be a real issue unless you wander off into the woods or rough uncut fields. You need to make sure you keep the U joints greased. I know yours is low hours but the drive shafts like to break between 800 to 900 hours if not greased and even low hours is no guarantee. 2210's are starting to age so despite the low hours I would try and service the driveshaft in the near future. Greasing is no easy task either. It is a great tractor otherwise.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
All I can contribute is for sure keep the front mounted snowblower and forget about a rear mounted one, especially if you're doing 7 driveways. :good2:

Reactions: etcallhome and Levi

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Pallet

I've used firewood for years by moving it on trailers, trucks etc. but am seriously thinking about getting some old fertilizer/chemical bulk tanks and just using the wire frame for firewood and moving them with a tractor. Even 700 lbs is a fair amount of firewood and I'm getting to the point where I don't want to handle things any more than I have to. I see the used bulk tanks on Craig's list for $50-$75 pretty frequently and with a little adjustment with bolt cutters, I think they would make a great firewood carrier.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've used firewood for years by moving it on trailers, trucks etc. but am seriously thinking about getting some old fertilizer/chemical bulk tanks and just using the wire frame for firewood and moving them with a tractor. Even 700 lbs is a fair amount of firewood and I'm getting to the point where I don't want to handle things any more than I have to. I see the used bulk tanks on Craig's list for $50-$75 pretty frequently and with a little adjustment with bolt cutters, I think they would make a great firewood carrier.

Treefarmer
That's what I am thinking as well. I love the firewood and don't mind most of the process, but when it's winter, I'd rather physically handle it less. Around my parts I see those used IBC containers for $100 or so. Does anyone have a source in MA for less than that?

I could probably use one of those IBC bins as a carryall.

What are some of the options for rear forks on my machine? Would you suggest a 3pt quick attach and then forks?

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
That's what I am thinking as well. I love the firewood and don't mind most of the process, but when it's winter, I'd rather physically handle it less. Around my parts I see those used IBC containers for $100 or so. Does anyone have a source in MA for less than that?

What are some of the options for rear forks on my machine? Would you suggest a 3pt quick attach and then forks?

I wouldn't overthink things yet. Just keep it simple and give it more thought. Consider options & budget.

Tractor, Front Snowblower and Cab setup
Loaded tires, consider chains and rear ballast for traction​

Tractor & Loader setup
Loaded tires and definitely a 3PH weight box​

Tractor setup for moving firewood
3PH Forks, Carryall or Trailer wagon​

A Quick Hitch is always helpful especially if you're going to be changing out a 3PH weight box for 3PH forks or a carryall on a regular basis.

Let us know when you get the tractor and don't forget we need photos as well! :good2:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Price is a consideration but I do like to buy one time for the most part. The tractor is coming with a 3pt weight box.

Suggestions on:

-quick 3pt hitch brand/model
-Rear forks
-Loaded tire material. Environment is important to me.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

If I were you, for winter service, I'd keep the snowblower mounted on the front, and for the rear I'd look for one of 2 things:

Some type of rack/carrying device that attaches to a category 1 3-pt hitch
A small wagon that I could pull behind the tractor for firewood (infinite uses)

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
751 Posts
Price is a consideration but I do like to buy one time for the most part. The tractor is coming with a 3pt weight box.

Suggestions on:

-quick 3pt hitch brand/model
-Rear forks
-Loaded tire material. Environment is important to me.

1. JD Imatch = closer to $400, Speeco = about $200, There might be even cheaper options like Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. When it comes to bushings for them, JD = $$$ and a farm store is cheaper so comparison shop

2. Rear forks... King Kutter brand, carryall or rear forks. Maybe even TSC (Tractor Supply Company). I have a KK carryall, but no experience with the actual rear forks. There's a 6 part set of videos on youtube that show a pretty neat carryall build! The King Kutter is quick hitch compatible. No modifications required, something to watch for when shopping for forks or carryall.

3. Loaded tires? I did it myself and used -25º window washer fluid, 17 gallons @ $1.29 plus a $10 air/water valve and a super cheap drill powered pump.... Others have used RV plumbing anti-freeze(a little more $ per gallon), or paid to have a dealer install Rim Guard( a lot more money) (non-toxic/beet by product). If you're brave, foolish, or just want to go "old school", and don't mind the possibility of rust or rim destruction... add inner tubes and use Calcium Chloride/water. (NO!) :banghead:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there any easy way to use artillian front forks on the 3pt hitch?

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
When I bought my iMatch quick hitch, it was $240, nowhere near $400.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Reactions: etcallhome

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
My mistake, it's on sale for $369 from $399 normal price........

View attachment 259697
It appears as though you can't get the older version (which is cheaper) anymore. I saw somewhere where you could still buy the older fixed hook version. There were a few threads regarding this. A quick search on Google showed several new iMatches for less than you quoted as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use artillian loader forks to move wood. I'm working on getting all of it on pallets. Simple pallets with about 30" uprights and some rope trying them together. About 1/4 cord which is all it will lift anyway.

I also have a custom metal cage that uses the bucket quick attach that I load with wood.
I also have a front blower and blade. I just switch between it all. Bring up a week's worth of wood then switch back to snow removal set up. A little hassle but not terrible. And I need the loader forks since I lift the wood up onto my deck onto dollies to roll next to the door.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts