Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the first year for RIO? My 1989 JD 285 does NOT have it. I am wondering when it first was added.

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
"Question:Why is RIO (Reverse Implement Option) Necessary?
Affected Equipment:Riding Mowers
Answer:Throughout our history, John Deere has been concerned about the safe operation of its equipment. John Deere lawn care products have been leaders in safety innovation. It is one of the reasons they continue to have the highest resale value in the industry. Anyone who can imagine the tragedy of an accident can readily appreciate effective designs that improve the safety of the products they use. The following is a chronology of some major John Deere safety features:

PTO Starting Interlock 110 Tractor - 1963
Transmission Starting Interlock 110 Tractor - 1963
Seat Switch PTO Interlock Riding Mowers, 100-400 Tractors - 1977
Brake Starting Interlock 111 Hydro Lawn Tractor - 1982
Seat Switch Interlock Delay 300, 400 Series Tractors - 1984
Blade Contact Pictorial Decal Mower Decks - 1989
Discharge Door 60-inch Power Flow Blower - 1993
Reverse Implement Option (RIO) Riding Mowers & Tractors - 1999"

https://groundscare.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/128/~/why-is-rio-(reverse-implement-option)-necessary?

·
Premium Member
14,753 Posts
I'm guessing for the 1026r ,or series1 , first appeared around 2013 . I got a 1026r in summer of 2012 and it did not have it at that time. My 1025r had it last summer but before it left the shop I was able to take care of the PIA ,,I mean safety equipment. :banghead::banghead:

Daughters FIL x585 built 0403 has it and it is connected. He made a little wedge to put under the switch. Works fine as long as you remember to use that wedge. Only takes one time and you remember.

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I looked a used 1998 L&G tractor and forgot to check if it had RIO (sold before I decide whether to buy or not)

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
For lawn and garden tractors, 1999 is the first year the RIO was implemented.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Never fear the RIOS! No matter the model or year there is always a simple way to defeat it. Sometimes a "wedgie", sometimes "electrical". JD knows this nonesense is a PIA and leaves it easy to defeat. No matter what the advertising or press releases say, it not "...because we care about owners...", it's because they care about "Settlement Court" and "Financial Drain" from a rapidly growing section of the population, "The Doh Factor-American".:laugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts