Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today looks to be one of the coolest temps we're going to have this week, so I believe I'll make a nice fish stew. For those who've never tried it or made it, it's quite simple. You can use any type of fish, just make sure it doesn't have any bones in it, in case there may be young'uns enjoying the meal also. My ingredients today are going to be:
a. Five slices of bacon, cut in small pieces and fried in the bowl that you're going to cook the stew in. This gives you a good oil base to begin the process with.
b. Two 8 oz. cans of Mackerel
c. Five large potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4" thick
d. Three medium sized onions, sliced 1/4" thick
e. Salt & dash of pepper to suit you taste, (on each layer).
f. Water
g.Tomato juice
h. Six-eight eggs, (the eggs go in at the very last).
Once the bacon is fried to suit, begin layering the potatoes, onions, and fish, (split the mackerel in the two halves as it comes from the can, remove the small bones, and break each half of the fish lengthwise). This will give you four pieces of fish from each whole mackerel chub.
Pour in your water till it fills 1/2 of the depth of your cooking pot.
Top off the pot with the tomato juice, leaving it 4" from the top.
AFTER the contents become hot, and BEFORE the stew begins to bubble, crack the eggs into the top of the stew mix. Do NOT let the liquid bubble into a foam in your pot. If it begins to do so, turn down the heat.
Turn down your stovetop heat to where the mix is JUST BARELY making a slow slow slow bubble and let it set to cook.
Normally, it's ready to eat in 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
NOTE: Never "stir" the pot mixture with any vigor, maybe just a few "poke-arounds" to the bottom of the pot with a long wooden spoon.
This is one of my favorite comfort foods in colder / cooler weather.
Enjoy!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,463 Posts
Nice (y)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts