Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there really any advantage to having the new style Imatch with the movable hook? I seen a used old style for sale for $150. Is it worth the extra money to get the new style?

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I prefer the fixed hook style. There may be a little more work involved making some implements fit it, but having the adjust the top hook for different implements takes away some of the "ease of use" advantages the iMatch offers. Some folks have reported clearance problems on the adjustable hook versions with some implements, the adjustment mechanism for the top hook sometimes hits the implement and prevents full engagement.

That's just my opinion though.

·
Administrator
18,303 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said....
I think its a shame JD "caved" to the pressures and started with the adjustable one. Grab that used one for $150 and don't look back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. That is what I was thing also.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
I have a movable hook type and for me I don't see the advantage. Buy it.

the adjustment mechanism for the top hook sometimes hits the implement and prevents full engagement.
Big PITA

Reactions: Haze

·
Administrator
20,880 Posts
Yup. I've seen first hand how the new adjustable hook has interfered with implements.

IMG_2820.jpg IMG_2821.JPG IMG_2822.JPG IMG_2823.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I missed the used one. But the good news is I stop by my dealers today to see what kind of deal they would give me and come to find out they just order 50 Fixed hook units at a discount. Sales price $200.

·
Administrator
18,303 Posts
Interesting, I didn't think they were available any more...I hope you get one!

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
I don't own a JD Imatch but a HF with adj hook. As so one else said ,,at times it is a PIA, and I found out this summer a pain in the middle finger it still hurts today.
Forgot I needed to change the hook to connect to the rear tiller. I tried after backing up to the tiller . My middle finger got between the hook and tiller. OUCH . I seen form dieselshadow photos JD did same thing as HF with there hook.
From someone here on this site or one of the other tractor forums I found a correction to not having enough space to connect to some implements. Add a piece of metal about 3/4" to 1" deep to the back of hook and drill out the holes you would need. Gives the extra space to allow a easier hookup

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Both new and old version show on JD build your own

Interesting, I didn't think they were available any more...I hope you get one!
I didn't think they still sold the old style either, but when on John Deere's Build Your Own page they have both the new and the old style listed. The new style is $357.50 and the old style says "Contact Dealer", at least in my neck of the woods. Prices may vary I'm sure.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Did John Deere have a old and new style movable hook unit? For some reason I thought they did.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Did John Deere have a old and new style movable hook unit? For some reason I thought they did.
I heard that next years model is going to have adjustable lower hooks as well as the adjustable upper hook. And with hydraulic adjustment too, some with a hand pump and some to connect to the tractor.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wonder if someone could make us nonmetal working folks a new top hook. I have one from rural king and have the same problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,303 Posts
Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I heard that next years model is going to have adjustable lower hooks as well as the adjustable upper hook. And with hydraulic adjustment too, some with a hand pump and some to connect to the tractor.
:lol::lol:
I heard just a track with ball bearings and a hand crank to raise and lower the top hook up and down on the "base" model.

·
Premium Member
12,744 Posts
Has anybody used one of these? Granted, it's not quite as convenient
as the hook but does work well on implements not designed for a quick
hitch.
Yes! I have one of these for my Land Pride quick hitch. I mostly use it for my boom pole which is not QH compatible. I have QH bushings on the bottom pins and then use this for the top connection. I first remove my hook and then this adapter pins through the same hole as the top mount of the QH. While it certainly takes the "quick" out of the quick hitch, it sure beats having to remove the entire QH for non-compatible implements.

My grand plan is to eventually modify the top bracket on my boom pole to make it QH compatible.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
:lol::lol:
I heard just a track with ball bearings and a hand crank to raise and lower the top hook up and down on the "base" model.
Yeah that sounds familiar too. I also read something about them having "front view mirrors" so when you are turned around in the seat to line up to the 3pt attachment you can just use the mirrors for repositioning.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
From someone here on this site or one of the other tractor forums I found a correction to not having enough space to connect to some implements. Add a piece of metal about 3/4" to 1" deep to the back of hook and drill out the holes you would need. Gives the extra space to allow a easier hookup
That's what I did. Looking back on it, I probably just could have welded the HF hook in place because I never move it, and all of my implements are now setup to use the quick hitch with the hook in the same spot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yup. I've seen first hand how the new adjustable hook has interfered with implements.

View attachment 23660 View attachment 23661 View attachment 23662 View attachment 23663
So after messing around for a couple hours trying to make my HF quick hitch fit...I said screw it and called the dealer and caved and told them to order me the JD quick hitch and I'll return my Harbor Freight. Now I just found this picture and it looks like my JD hitch will have the same issue? Can anyone confirm. I don't want to spend an extra $200 if I'm still going to have to make/buy/modify my hook so it clears...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts