Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On July 4th my trusty 4100 all of a sudden wouldn't restart while out working. Over the course of the next month I bought the tech manual, spent countless hours going through the wiring, switches and relays...all to find nothing wrong. In desperation I once again contacted my dealer. They had no fresh ideas...other than go back and start over with the basics. Right. I'd already checked and rechecked the battery, battery posts, cable ends, grounds and had strong voltage (I thought) during my testing...so how was going back to the basics going to help?

Well, while wringing out the wiring it became obvious that a previous owner (PO) had messed with the wiring. So I decided to go back and check the battery cables more thoroughly. Turns out the PO had improperly installed replacement cable ends at the battery ends and they had corroded internally. Cleaned everything up and guess what... the tractor cranked right up. The fix was so simple it was embarrassing! Lesson learned? DO NOT SHORTCUT THE BASICS! Check EVERYTHING in the primary circuit thoroughly.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
That's a good reminder

On July 4th my trusty 4100 all of a sudden wouldn't restart while out working. Over the course of the next month I bought the tech manual, spent countless hours going through the wiring, switches and relays...all to find nothing wrong. In desperation I once again contacted my dealer. They had no fresh ideas...other than go back and start over with the basics. Right. I'd already checked and rechecked the battery, battery posts, cable ends, grounds and had strong voltage (I thought) during my testing...so how was going back to the basics going to help?

Well, while wringing out the wiring it became obvious that a previous owner (PO) had messed with the wiring. So I decided to go back and check the battery cables more thoroughly. Turns out the PO had improperly installed replacement cable ends at the battery ends and they had corroded internally. Cleaned everything up and guess what... the tractor cranked right up. The fix was so simple it was embarrassing! Lesson learned? DO NOT SHORTCUT THE BASICS! Check EVERYTHING in the primary circuit thoroughly.
Thanks for posting. It's easy to jump to the complicated solution and miss the basic stuff. I'm sorry it took you so much time but at least there were no big pots of :gizmo: involved.

Treefarmer

1 - 2 of 2 Posts