Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am looking to get my B running on the cheap. She has been froze up for quite a few years, and we are currently soaking the engine...she is full up with diesel fuel in the crankcase, and we filled the jugs with a combination of a few different things to hopefully break the rusted bond that the Pistons seem to sharing. We will let that sit in there for 2-3 weeks, and see if we can get any movement out of it.

In the mean time, I figure I need to work on the tires. The originals are getting a bit weather checked. Does anyone have any suggestions on a decently priced set of rubber? I realize that tires have gotten pretty darn expensive!

This old girl is going to have an easy life from here on out....not sure how good of tires it really needs.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
78 Posts
If it was me, I would get her running before I bought tires. Just saying.

I you want cheap, google the tire size and you should find some cheap Chinese tires and then find a local distributor to get them in their store for you. My neighbor just got a rear for his 8N that looks really nice but made in china. He paid like $220.00 for it, which I think is cheap. Don't remember the name, but he got it from the local Goodyear store.

Anyway, get her running first. I hope you don't, but your could have major engine problems like a cracked cylinder, etc. Trust me, I know.

BaconFarms

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to get her running before I pop for rears, just to be sure we don't have troubles.

Just guessing as soon as I start to drive it a bit, the lugs are going to start flying off. I have even thought about getting used tires, don't know enough about the Chinese tires quality.

I have been watching your progress on the D...good that you are keeping going on it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixing up my B....

Well, no worries about tires yet, but my B has been soaking for a good year and a half with diesel and other good things down the plug holes (and crank case full of diesel) and she seems to be Stuck good. We currently have a bar chained to the flywheel with a jack lifting the bar.

So far, the only thing happening is the bar is bending. Seems she is stuck pretty darn well.

This brings my question, if I tear it down and pull/pound it apart to free it up, should I try to hop up the engine at all? I have heard of folks taking A pistons and boring the cylinders to take this higher displacement. Is that something I should think about?

This isn’t going to be any parade queen, but a worker of sorts...

Sorry about the picture, I found out that my cell camera lense is cracked....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
thinking outta the box

Would it make any sense to Jack up a rear tire ...put in low gear and rock the tire or chain a long 4x4 to it for more leverage??

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all!

No movement yet that I am aware of....it is sitting an hour away from me at the moment. A couple months ago on a warm up, the valve cover was pulled off to see if any valves were stuck. As I recall, 3 of the 4 valves were lightly stuck, but now moving. We rigged up a different bar on the flywheel, and refilled the cylinders.

We also popped the inspection cover to see how bad the rust may be on the crank side of things, as well as how the pistons are sitting in the bores.

I got an inspection camera for Xmas, and plan to take a look in each hole to see if anything can be seen.

So, she is sitting with a jack under the bar, and left to sleep until it warms up a bit.

I did find out that my neighbor at the property has a 41 B that his kid lost interest in once they took it apart....could probably get that pretty cheap.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
When we scoped the 1020 we could see something in there. Couldn't identify it with the camera. Got some of it out, nut hulls. How heck did mice get in there? Had to be thru an open valve.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That story about your 1020 reminded me as a kid we had a JD 50 that always started better than the B. Usually we would kit the starter, it would pop off, and we would catch the can it blew off the stack.

One time we did this, and caught the can, and then a fairly freshly born mouse fell on the floorboard...still alive. Pulled the oil bath off the air cleaner, and found several mice floating in there. One must have gotten sucked through the intake valve, and went out the exhaust. :unknown:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I dont know that you would get A pistons in there without a LOT of money...4.25x5.25 verses 5.5x6.5...but i am not gonna say DONT go for it, cause WOW!

Anyway, as far as a stuck engine, one lesson i learned a long time ago....pull the clutches out. because if they are stuck i dont care what you do you aint moving that engine over. I sacrificed what i thought was a junk 70 diesel standard because i thought the engine was stuck, so when i was past the point of no return, is when i figured out that even though the outer clutch assembly was all busted up, THAT was what was stuck...the engine was almost perfect inside. i would have been WAY far ahead to correct that tractors issues instead of using that as a donor for one that i "thought" was in good shape....ugh......

Pull the cam and tappets and and get a puller grind on the cam and get the lifters surfaced. clean up the head and you will get a lot more power out of it for not a lot of money. cheaper than boring and getting new pistons etc etc.

If you have been soaking it long enough to fill the crank case i think at this point just applying pressure wont do anything. You will probably need to impact it....pull the plugs and hook it up to a puller, throw it in high gear, set the clutch tight and just bump a few times, then go in reverse a couple times....OR....put it on a trailer, boom it loose so it has a couple inches of free board, put it in high gear, set the clutch tight, and go drive around for a half an hour.....back roads....

After a year and a half...pull the block with pistons in it...set it up holes up, dump in some of the rust penetrate, just enough to cover the pistons, let it sit a half hour, then get your favorite 4x4 oak block and a 15 lbs sledge....and well....you know the rest of the story....

If its been stuck that long with the crank case getting filled up, better move on to plan B, C, D, or E....otherwise ill buy it at your estate auction....which...when mine happens, i expect all of you to be there, laughing, going, yea, i would have started that too...my auction will be in two cylinder magazine as well as green magazine, heritage iron and classic farm and tractor magazines - so please be subscribers - HAHAHHAHA

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, my gut is telling me that I will be pulling it apart at some point. We did fill the crank case with fuel as well....figured at that point, it wouldn’t hurt anything.

Thanks for the tip on the pulling grind for the cam...always like to add power where I can, and it usually happens when something is apart. :cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts