Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a flail mower and wonder what happens when you hit an old barbwire fence under brush with one. Done this lots of times with a bush hog and it can take some time to cut out the mess..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a flail mower and wonder what happens when you hit an old barbwire fence under brush with one. Done this lots of times with a bush hog and it can take some time to cut out the mess..
Don’t know about the flail mower but I can tell you about hitting it with a power rake. Sets you back a hour or so. Better have a good pair of wire cutters too. Way more fun than jigsaw puzzle.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
We have them at work for roadside mowing. One of the guys got hold of a tv cable on the ground,took seconds to wind up 100' and hours to remove.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Woods Brush hog = about 5 seconds to wind in 200' of garden hose

Thankfully it was unhooked from the faucet:banghead:

Saved 2 50' chunks...fittings are a bit worse for wear...the rest came out in smallish pieces..

next

:munch:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don’t know about the flail mower but I can tell you about hitting it with a power rake. Sets you back a hour or so. Better have a good pair of wire cutters too. Way more fun than jigsaw puzzle.
chuckle...was thinking of maybe getting one of those as well. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have them at work for roadside mowing. One of the guys got hold of a tv cable on the ground,took seconds to wind up 100' and hours to remove.
Thanks. Might as well stick to my bush hog. Do flail mowers work better than a brush hog?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woods Brush hog = about 5 seconds to wind in 200' of garden hose

Thankfully it was unhooked from the faucet:banghead:

Saved 2 50' chunks...fittings are a bit worse for wear...the rest came out in smallish pieces..

next

:munch:
Thats the one thing I have not yet caught with my bush hog. Made a Sherman bow tie out of a T post a couple of weeks ago. When i saw it it reminded me of the pictures i saw of Sherman's march to the sea and what was labeled Sherman's bow ties made from rail road rails. Its amazing what can lie hidden for decades then one day reappear under your tractor.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
8" bolt cutters become your best friend.

Sent from a magic box in my pocket.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8" bolt cutters become your best friend.

Sent from a magic box in my pocket.
Yep, can be a chore to remove. Looks like the flail mower may be al little easier to clear as you don't have to reach so far underneath like on a bush hog

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Yep, can be a chore to remove. Looks like the flail mower may be al little easier to clear as you don't have to reach so far underneath like on a bush hog
Took all of about 10 minutes. I managed to shut it down pretty fast and it didn't wrap it too tightly around the drum. A couple of scratches, a loud clatter, a quick check for soiled britches and a bunch of leftover wire cutoffs and we're none the worse for wear.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks. Might as well stick to my bush hog. Do flail mowers work better than a brush hog?
They follow the ground quite well as there is a roller in the back. there is no point load like a wheel or wheels in the rear. they gather up stuff like barbed wire instead of chopping and flinging. Usually the wire can just be pulled out as the rotor turns. I remove the wire in the winter and mostly catch stray pieces not all 4 or 5 strands of a prior fence. A hydraulic top link gives a range of cut heights for a given roller height setting. Depending on what blades you put on the flail mower the cut quality will vary. I think the more common blades do not give as close to lawn as the more common bush hog. I have a MX10 but see what results others have with the more common single rotor ones. The three deck 15 foot ones are pretty common as well but beyond my equipment. There are dedicated "lawn" rotors and blades I see them in catalogs and at the big E fairground.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
:dunno:no body showed what electric fence wire looks like coming back out from under a brush hog:lol: i wound about what i wanna say was like 500 ft worth:lol: but probably only 50 ft worth. boy it sure looked strange going thru the tall grass as it was winding up under the brush hog. jeez. what a night mare-yeah side cutters are ur friend for sure:laugh:

i watch our state department are using them now(flail mowers) if i can flag the fella down this yr -i'll ask him what he does when he hits junk like wire laying in the weeds.:mocking: probably calls the shop to come out i would presume.:munch:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took all of about 10 minutes. I managed to shut it down pretty fast and it didn't wrap it too tightly around the drum. A couple of scratches, a loud clatter, a quick check for soiled britches and a bunch of leftover wire cutoffs and we're none the worse for wear.
You were lucky that time. I have some old fence lines buried in blackberries i need to rip out and I'm thinking maybe some kind of harrow would work to find them before the bush hog goes to work. Wondering about a landscape rake?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They follow the ground quite well as there is a roller in the back. there is no point load like a wheel or wheels in the rear. they gather up stuff like barbed wire instead of chopping and flinging. Usually the wire can just be pulled out as the rotor turns. I remove the wire in the winter and mostly catch stray pieces not all 4 or 5 strands of a prior fence. A hydraulic top link gives a range of cut heights for a given roller height setting. Depending on what blades you put on the flail mower the cut quality will vary. I think the more common blades do not give as close to lawn as the more common bush hog. I have a MX10 but see what results others have with the more common single rotor ones. The three deck 15 foot ones are pretty common as well but beyond my equipment. There are dedicated "lawn" rotors and blades I see them in catalogs and at the big E fairground.
Maybe i should look into getting one. They are kinda expensive and i have just spent a lot of money on tractor things. Humm,:greentractorride:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Maybe i should look into getting one. They are kinda expensive and i have just spent a lot of money on tractor things. Humm,:greentractorride:
I have two of them, both Alamo which is also another name or both (Mott I think). Both used units once owned by some sort of government entity. One is centered behind and the other is off set about two feet. The offset one I believe is what you see behind the tractors on the highway that have the hydraulic pump on the front and the boom with a flail mower on it. They are both 84" cut 44 perches 88 blades. I paid about $800 used and they both needed or I elected to invest a couple of days in metal work on cracks and paint. The offset one you only squash one tire path before mowing and the centered one is superior for sloping terrain. With a four wheel drive tractor one can raise it to get all the weight on the tractor and back up pretty steep grades then lower and mow. Just learn from my mistake do not use the differential lock regularly for this save it for slow stuff and borderline getting stuck. Flail master is an aftermarket source I can pretty much get any part for them from. Actually from the parts choices there are even variants that the rotor turns the opposite direction.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have two of them, both Alamo which is also another name or both (Mott I think). Both used units once owned by some sort of government entity. One is centered behind and the other is off set about two feet. The offset one I believe is what you see behind the tractors on the highway that have the hydraulic pump on the front and the boom with a flail mower on it. They are both 84" cut 44 perches 88 blades. I paid about $800 used and they both needed or I elected to invest a couple of days in metal work on cracks and paint. The offset one you only squash one tire path before mowing and the centered one is superior for sloping terrain. With a four wheel drive tractor one can raise it to get all the weight on the tractor and back up pretty steep grades then lower and mow. Just learn from my mistake do not use the differential lock regularly for this save it for slow stuff and borderline getting stuck. Flail master is an aftermarket source I can pretty much get any part for them from. Actually from the parts choices there are even variants that the rotor turns the opposite direction.
I'll have tyo keep my eyes open for a used one it sounds like they may be a dood investment. Thanks for the info:bigthumb:

Mistake? dif lock? You used it on a hard surface maybe?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts