Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has set up a 2305 to pull a 47" flail mower. I'm looking at the Caroni TL1200FSC to handle the areas I can't get to with my big tractor and its flail. Just want to make sure I won't be overloading my Wee Green Beastie by asking to handle this type of implement.

·
Administrator
18,527 Posts
I'd think it would work great :good2:

Reactions: Levi

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
I think you'd be fine but earlier 2305's were prone to rear PTO damage if the implement driveline was shock loaded. Make sure you use a slip clutch protected driveshaft with the flail mower. Adjust it on the "loose" side.

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

My pastures have knuckleheads that rise up out of the ground each year and make using any sort of rotary mower dicey at best for a couple of reasons. First is the obvious opportunity to mangle the blades and potentially damage the mower itself, second is the fact the I live in a serious wildfire area and hitting rocks with a rotating blade is a recipe for generating lots of sparks. Thus sheep, flail mowers, and string trimmers, wheeled and otherwise, become the pasture maintenance tools of choice.

When I bought the Wee Green Beastie I was told that it had the new improved PTO mechanism but I don't want to take a chance. What would be a good place to purchase a "slip clutch protected driveshaft"?

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
I believe if you purchase a flail mower it will include a driveshaft. It may be a slip clutch or shear bolt protected type. You may be able to specify the slip clutch version as your preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks SGS, I got my big Caroni flail from Agri Supply and will mostly likely buy this one there also (unless someone has a better idea) and will check and see if I can get a driveline with the slip clutch option from them.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had this exact set-up to mow a factory lot that was full of bricks. Had like 120 blades that I sharpened in ag class at school. It worked perfect and it was only an 18hp. garden tractor. So I wouldn'e see your tractor having any issues. The slip clutch is a good idea, but since the blades flip up if you hit something, it shouldn't really bind the driveline. I would think if an object was big enough to be an issue, the tractor would hit it first.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$590 shipping?!?!?!?!?

Well that takes care of ordering a Caroni from Agri Supply. Apparently shipping costs have risen since I bought my TM1900 back in '08.

So here's what I would love to know. Are there any dealers handling Caroni mowers on the west coast? If not, has anyone used a flail mower of the same quality and price as the TL1200FSC ($1680). I've come across several flails made in China that seem comparable but I would prefer to buy something made elsewhere unfortunately cost is a factor in my purchase and the mower will not be used for more than light to medium duty.

I wish I could just order the Caroni from Agri Supply but the farm's CFO (aka She Who Must Be Obeyed) is not keen on paying that kind of shipping cost just to make me happy:laugh:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Look on CL there's a dealer somewhere in Oregon or Washington advertising Caroni flail mowers.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I saw the Tualatin outfit in a search yesterday as there just 30 mi from me.

Also found a dealer in Yakima which should be much closer for you....they had 2 locations in WA.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw the Tualatin outfit in a search yesterday as there just 30 mi from me.

Also found a dealer in Yakima which should be much closer for you....they had 2 locations in WA.
Figured it must be Rankin or maybe Burrows but neither of them list Caroni on their websites. Do you have a name of the dealer?

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After several days of intense research I've given up trying to find the Caroni mower at a reasonable price and shipping cost in my area. That research also pointed me towards a mower that I hope will serve my purpose. I'm not using the mower commercially so paying the extra price for a heavy metal flail mower seems counterproductive. I settled on a commercial grade 48" Farm Helper (FH-EFGC125) mower.

I know it is made in China and I'm not thrilled about that but I do use another made-in-China piece of equipment that has served me very well for the past 6 years so I'm willing to take the risk.

Supposed to show up on Thursday and I'll be happy to provide a report if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
After several days of intense research I've given up trying to find the Caroni mower at a reasonable price and shipping cost in my area. That research also pointed me towards a mower that I hope will serve my purpose. I'm not using the mower commercially so paying the extra price for a heavy metal flail mower seems counterproductive. I settled on a commercial grade 48" Farm Helper (FH-EFGC125) mower.

I know it is made in China and I'm not thrilled about that but I do use another made-in-China piece of equipment that has served me very well for the past 6 years so I'm willing to take the risk.

Supposed to show up on Thursday and I'll be happy to provide a report if anyone is interested.
It is required! Along with numerous photos.

Reactions: ColonyPark
1 - 16 of 16 Posts