Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
John Deere 1026R
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run one behind a 1026R or 1025R? I have in my mind I want one. Perhaps someone has some experience with what my reason is.

I am the primary tractor guy at my hunting club. I manage just fine with a bush hog and disk, however, I want to try to get away from having to disk twice a year. So I have a crop rotation planned with cereal grains and brassica's in the fall, and then beans and peas in the spring. I want to basically come out in the spring, broadcast the beans and peas, and then cut the field with a flair mower, which would, in theory, deposit a layer of mulch on top of the seed, and the roller would also act somewhat like a cultipacker.

Then in the fall, I can just broadcast seed into the standing beans. I have done the broadcast into beans already and it works pretty well. I never understood why in my other clubs they would come in and plant peas and beans, and then in late august bush hog them down and let the fields sit for a few weeks before fall planting. Usually the deer were just starting to really mow the beans when they cut them down.

Was looking at the medium duty one from Bestsco, 48 in model, but wondering if I should spend a little more and get something like a Del Morino? Bestsco is out of stock right now.
I could go with their heavy duty one, although their rep thinks I don't have enough tractor for it.

·
Registered
3025E
154 Posts
The guys over at Good Works Tractor in Michigan sells the Del Morino, he did a video on a flail mower behind his 1025. I believe it was 52” unit.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,548 Posts
I want to basically come out in the spring, broadcast the beans and peas, and then cut the field with a flair mower, which would, in theory, deposit a layer of mulch on top of the seed, and the roller would also act somewhat like a cultipacker.
Not sure you'll be happy with your results. Without seed to soil contact your germination % decreases greatly, I would stick to discing it up and seeding. But, that's not saying that a flail mower still wouldn't be nice to have.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did not watch the videos, and maybe this is discussed. Most tractor owners asking about or buying flail mowers don’t seem (as far as I can tell) to take maintenance into account. When we lived in orchard country my neighbors all had Rears flails. Not only do they come in a wide variety of widths, but they are very easy to change flail knives. Yup, not a cheap piece of equipment but very well designed and made in Oregon. We sold our original Rears SPF when we moved, and bought another one here in western WA. I think it will last longer than I will!

·
Registered
John Deere 1026R
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure you'll be happy with your results. Without seed to soil contact your germination % decreases greatly, I would stick to discing it up and seeding. But, that's not saying that a flail mower still wouldn't be nice to have.
I think you would be surprised. While I realize I might have to broadcast at a slightly higher rate to get the germination I want, I have broadcast into a field before and had pretty good results. Obviously I would love a no till drill, but that is $. I can buy a whole lot of seed for what that costs.

You should see the field I broadcast brassica's and cereal grains into standing beans. It came in thick. Actually did 3 of them like that last fall as an experiment. Just doesn't make sense to me to come in and cut down a field the deer are eating in, and replanting it and having to wait on rain.

The problem I have now is finding a flail mower. Sort of settled on one I want, but they aren't in stock.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2025R tractor which has the same PTO horsepower as your tractor and I have the Betsco medium duty 53" flail mower (FH-EFG135) and I am quite satisfied with it. In fact, the video on their website that says "County View Acres" on the left side is my tractor & flail mower. My son took the video when I mowed at his homestead.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
John Deere 1026R
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See I asked them about the different ones. I was looking at a 48 heavy duty one, and he said that wouldn't work with my then 2305. He said I could only be two hp less than the rating or I would wear out the gearbox faster.

After looking I think I would like their adjustable deck commercial one. That would allow me to open up the back and get the material out faster if needed.

The 2305 and 1026r supposedly have the same engine but the PTO speed on the 2305 is 2800 versus 3200 on the 1026r. They don't sound quite the same to me and I wish the 1026 idled a little lower.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts