Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rooting through pictures for another post and stumbled across this shot of me and Mrs. C, before she was Mrs. C.

19 years old in the mid 70's, it was a great time to be alive. Music was great, cars were fast, and recreation abounded.

nineteen.jpg

·
Registered
366 Posts
I hear you brother. I loved the 70's. This was around early 70's. The cars were much better in the late 60's and early 70's. The music was made by people who knew how to play instruments, write songs, and may not have been smoking hot looking. Way before autotune. I have to admit, I was hopelessly addicted to Tang, Mountain Dew, and Marathon Bars.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Ha, very nice. Funny, maybe not though, how fast the years go by. I've been wanting to post this one of Carol and me, mid eighties. Married many years but, oh my!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457882848.424757.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
OK-here's a pic from not so long ago-i'll say! Jim and I at Bruce & Amy's wedding.jpg this was in 2009 at our youngest son's wedding. un's might know that all of our long ago pics are recorded on shs files on CD, that this son scanned onto a cd at that time. now these laptops will not recognize. so for now this is all I have .

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hmmm. Evidently, I am a wee bit younger that some of the folks here. :unknown:

Here is me in the early 1970s...I think this is the summer between kindergarten and first grade. Dad figured that I was old enough to mow the lawn (we had a large farm yard) at that point. And yes, my ties to John Deere run deep...

lawn mowing.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Well, here's my contribution. This is from late '70s or early '80s, I think, judging by hair and sideburns. Joan and I have been married 46 years this year.

pic-1a.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Well, here's my contribution. This is from late '70s or early '80s, I think, judging by hair and sideburns. Joan and I have been married 46 years this year.

View attachment 146425
Very nice looking couple . . . and 46 years, wow. Carol and I will hit 49 come this November. Three kids and seven grand kids. This was taken a few year ago on a trip to Illinois . . . before I got sick again. (We were a little tippse at the time :laugh: )

Carol & Me.JPG

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,268 Posts
Here's a photo from 1948.

This is my Dad at age 18. He's standing next to one of the company trucks( a Ford, year ?). The truck is painted JD Green on the lower part; and JD Yellow on the cab. Their dealership began operations in 1935. They began selling and servicing buggies, wagons, water well wind mills, grain storage tanks, planters, plows, sickle mowers & hay related equipment. They became a John Deere dealer in the early to mid 40's.

Why the suit? He was headed to the Church to get married. Five years later, I was born. :good2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,824 Posts
OK, I'll play.

1975. Wife and I on my brother's wedding day. I had to get a haircut, to look presentable.

View attachment 145809

Just to be clear, the picture was AFTER the haircut? :laugh::lol:

Oh that was definitely the style back then and there are many pictures of me with a very similar haircut. But due to the witness relocation program rules, I won't be posting them.:laugh:

There was a BIG controversy in our high school the year I was a freshman. Several seniors refused to get their hair cut and above their shirt collars and it turned into a big standoff and made the front page of the local paper. One kid was the state wrestling champion, (he was part of the family of 12 kids I mentioned in another posting that owned the local hot dog / burger stand and beer garden) and the mere possibility of him NOT wrestling due to the suspension and hair cut "war" was a big deal.

I remember as a freshman thinking that these guys who were defying the authorities were near "godlike"......Of course, that is from the advanced thinking of a 13 year old (Ultimately I was a 16 year old senior so I was actually ahead of the class I started school with).

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I was rooting through pictures for another post and stumbled across this shot of me and Mrs. C, before she was Mrs. C.

19 years old in the mid 70's, it was a great time to be alive. Music was great, cars were fast, and recreation abounded.

View attachment 145753
OK, I'll play.

1975. Wife and I on my brother's wedding day. I had to get a haircut, to look presentable.

View attachment 145809
Okay you two, let me guess,, ;;; Electric Light Orchestra, Steely Dan, Late James Gang, or Three Dog Night?? Singers or players?

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,268 Posts
Just to be clear, the picture was AFTER the haircut? :laugh::lol:
Yes, that photo was after the hair cut. My hair was halfway down my back before that.

I attended a Catholic school until the middle of the 9th grade. There was a big controversy about long hair. One of the Nuns went all hay-wire one day and tried to cut my hair. I took the scissors away from her; and went to the Principles office. Told them I was not going to put up with that kind of behavior. I left the school and drove across town to a Public school. I called mom to tell her what had happened; and said, "If I have to go back to Catholic school, I would quite". Mom met me at the public school my records to enroll. Public school didn't care how long your hair was, as long as you kept your grades up and behaved.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,268 Posts
Okay you two, let me guess,, ;;; Electric Light Orchestra, Steely Dan, Late James Gang, or Three Dog Night?? Singers or players?
Alice Cooper, CCR, Cream, Beatles, The Doors, Grand Funk, Rare Earth, Grateful Dead, James Gang, Jimmy Hendricks, Janis Joplin, Vanilla Fudge, Cosby-Still-Hash & Young, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, The Moody Blues, The Who, and yes, The Dog Night.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,268 Posts
If that is a Ford, it looks like probably a '49 or a '50.
Not a 49 or 50. The photo is dated, 1948. The body style is similar to 1940 to 1947 pick-ups. Below is a 1947 Ford.

My grandfather had both years of '49 & '50 Ford trucks. The bode style was like this(below). They did not have FORD embossed into the rear area of the hood, next to the cowling.

·
Premium Member
8,824 Posts
Not a 49 or 50. The photo is dated, 1948. The body style is similar to 1940 to 1947 pick-ups. Below is a 1947 Ford.

My grandfather had both years of '49 & '50 Ford trucks. The bode style was like this(below). They did not have FORD embossed into the rear area of the hood, next to the cowling.

I am seriously considering adding a truck of that era to my stable. I want it bone stock with no enhancements. Something I could drive on the back roads to the farm store and around the country (not a interstate highway vehicle, more like a 2lanecruizer). Simple is often very appealing.........I think I will go look and see if there are any in my general area for sale......

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Alice Cooper, CCR, Cream, Beatles, The Doors, Grand Funk, Rare Earth, Grateful Dead, James Gang, Jimmy Hendricks, Janis Joplin, Vanilla Fudge, Cosby-Still-Hash & Young, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, The Moody Blues, The Who, and yes, The Dog Night.
You guys are very young. I was listening to the oldies when the above music was popular. In fact I still listen to 50's on 5 on Sirius when I listen to music.:laugh:

1 - 20 of 112 Posts