Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to pull the tractor out Saturday and had a flat right front tire. Didn't see a nail or anything amiss. Inflated it and used it briefly then parked it back in the garage. Tonight after work it was flat again. I don't suppose the warranty will cover it. Any idea how much it costs to replace? First real tractor, my 48" Husky riding mower doesn't count. LOL

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
WHY REPLACE ..:dunno:

Remove rim from tractor with tire still on the rim.

Air tire up ,, spray tire with water , listen for air leak , after finding

either plug the hole or take it to a tire shop..

guessing $10-20 for repair. maybe less.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
Doesn't sound like a warranty item. Do you have some soapy water that you can apply to the tire to see where the leak is? It may just be a leaky valve stem core. If it is just a hole in the tread a simple plug might be the answer. If it is on the sidewall then the tire may need to be replaced.

A tire plug kit is a good thing to have on hand. They are inexpensive and plugging a tractor tire is a perfectly acceptable fix for a leaky tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,015 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Fill it up with some tire slime!!!

Just kidding.... don't do that, stuff makes a mess.

spray the tire down with a good foaming liquid. I use sprayaway glass cleaner, works great. Spray around the valve stem, those are likely culprits if you don't see a puncture.

No need to buy a new tire at any rate.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
As others have said, just fix it and be done. No need for a new tire unless its so bad it cant be repaired, and it sounds like it held air pretty well for a while.

No reason to even take it off the tractor if you dont want to.
Take a spray bottle with some dish soap in it, as long is it creates good suds, and spray on the tire after aired up.
Youll see the leak plain enough with the bubbles.
Once you find it, a good plug kit will fix it permanently.

I try to avoid slime like the plague these days. I used to use it, until I saw what it did to the inside of the wheels its used in.
They say it prevents corrosion, but not from what Ive seen.
There is a product thats pretty good at fixing leaks, and it was mentioned on here not long ago, but I cant recall the name of it.
Id rather have a plug in a tire than use anything inside the tire, but thats just me.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Dont overlook the valve stem and the core. I have seen many a tire where the stem was partially snapped due to getting to close to a curb or rock.....would hold air for a little while but not for more than a day.
A valve stem tool shouldnt cost $2-3 at any auto parts store.....but, ONLY FINGER TIGHTEN the cores. Z0rBp_kcpIx_.JPG

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ditto

WHY REPLACE ..:dunno:

Remove rim from tractor with tire still on the rim.

Air tire up ,, spray tire with water , listen for air leak , after finding

either plug the hole or take it to a tire shop..

guessing $10-20 for repair. maybe less.:dunno:

I have a "Black Jack" Tubeless tire kit in my shop. I probably repaied 50+ tires with it. Most without removing from the tractor. Quick & easy and cheaper to boot.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
No need to remove the wheel, just use the bucket to lift the front axle off the ground so that you can spin the wheel and look for the leak.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update of sorts. Raised up the front with the loader, hosed off the tire and inspected the tread and both sidewalls. No nails or obvious punctures. Put a valve core tool on the stem and verified it was tight. Overinflated to 25psig and misted the tire, no bubbles observed. This afternoon when I got home, flat as a pancake. Bought this new in February as a Valentine's Day present for my wife. She swears she hasn't sabotaged it, in fact she's never used it or the double barrel shotgun I bought her for a prior birthday, and it only has 31 hours on it. I'm not opposed to buying a gallon of Lubritube, as someone recommended, but it makes no sense to me why this just started happening. Next step, pull the tire off, fill a bathtub and look for bubbles, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
Update of sorts. Raised up the front with the loader, hosed off the tire and inspected the tread and both sidewalls. No nails or obvious punctures. Put a valve core tool on the stem and verified it was tight. Overinflated to 25psig and misted the tire, no bubbles observed. This afternoon when I got home, flat as a pancake. Bought this new in February as a Valentine's Day present for my wife. She swears she hasn't sabotaged it, in fact she's never used it or the double barrel shotgun I bought her for a prior birthday, and it only has 31 hours on it. I'm not opposed to buying a gallon of Lubritube, as someone recommended, but it makes no sense to me why this just started happening. Next step, pull the tire off, fill a bathtub and look for bubbles, I suppose.
Did you mist it with a soapy water solution or plain water?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I fought the same issue likely due to the front bucket work breaking seals. I took my fronts and had tubes put in them. Problem solved ever since.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts