Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I’m moving onto a new property and about 3 acres of it will be mowed. No snow or hills, but we do get a decent amount of rain and the yard can get a little soppy.
I’d like something that is built well enough to haul a Deere cart around with some landscaping supplies (small logs, dirt, mulch, plants).
I’m currently looking at the x380.
Budget high end is $5k.
Thanks!

·
Registered
763 Posts
i doubt if 5k would buy anything JD new.......so your probably into the used market

when you mention haul stuff around ....are you talking trailer? or loader? .... need to mow with it? .....working out when its muddy? .......other anticipated uses? ......

so far you could haul i little wagon or trailer around with a ATV or Mower ....and those are available used in your price range

might want to discuss your desires more clearly i am sure people will jump in with suggestions

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i doubt if 5k would buy anything JD new.......so your probably into the used market

when you mention haul stuff around ....are you talking trailer? or loader? .... need to mow with it? .....working out when its muddy? .......other anticipated uses? ......

so far you could haul i little wagon or trailer around with a ATV or Mower ....and those are available used in your price range

might want to discuss your desires more clearly i am sure people will jump in with suggestions

I’m specifically looking at the x300 series. I can afford up the the x380 with 54 inch deck. As far as hauling, I’d be pulling a cart with logs, dirt, mulch.... I don’t plan on using it in the mud on the regular, only if need be.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It sounds like you'd be happy with a lawn tractor (only tows things with wheels, since the transmission isn't desighed for "ground engaging" implements). HOWEVER, you'll need to look at garden tractors if you want a three point hitch.

I have an X350 with several accessories. That model easily should do everything you need on level ground for about $3,500 depending on configuration. The deck size would be either 42 or 48". A heavier tractor would probably make a mess on wet soil. A cheaper tractor will probaby have a lighter frame or less robust engine. My lawn has some decent slopes and I've towed many 300+ pound loads in my trailer with absolutely no problems. It will take a while to mow three acres, but a faster zero-turn doesn't have the flexibility you want. Starting with an X380, higher models have more durable transmissions, but you don't need to spend the extra $1,000 unless you deal with a lot of slopes or want a bigger deck.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
I’m specifically looking at the x300 series. I can afford up the the x380 with 54 inch deck. As far as hauling, I’d be pulling a cart with logs, dirt, mulch.... I don’t plan on using it in the mud on the regular, only if need be.
I wouldn’t haul a heavy trailer with an x380, even on flat ground. It has the k58 transmission witch is better then most x300 series as it serviceable, but it’s not much more heavy duty.

The other thing is mud, by stepping up to x500 series you get a k72, and differential lock which is an actual traction improvement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like you'd be happy with a lawn tractor (only tows things with wheels, since the transmission isn't desighed for "ground engaging" implements). HOWEVER, you'll need to look at garden tractors if you want a three point hitch.

I have an X350 with several accessories. That model easily should do everything you need on level ground for about $3,500 depending on configuration. The deck size would be either 42 or 48". A heavier tractor would probably make a mess on wet soil. A cheaper tractor will probaby have a lighter frame or less robust engine. My lawn has some decent slopes and I've towed many 300+ pound loads in my trailer with absolutely no problems. It will take a while to mow three acres, but a faster zero-turn doesn't have the flexibility you want. Starting with an X380, higher models have more durable transmissions, but you don't need to spend the extra $1,000 unless you deal with a lot of slopes or want a bigger deck.
Thanks for the info. If I could get a zero turn for a good price, I’d be able to purchase a gator for my trailer needs in about 6 months.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You should be able to find a really nice used x5xx with fairly low hours. For 5k or less.

It's not too uncommon for them to be traded in by people realizing they needed an x7xx or a 1 series. The x5's will be a much better fit for your land and uses. Also a longer lasting machine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn’t haul a heavy trailer with an x380, even on flat ground. It has the k58 transmission witch is better then most x300 series as it serviceable, but it’s not much more heavy duty.

The other thing is mud, by stepping up to x500 series you get a k72, and differential lock which is an actual traction improvement.
That makes sense. Are there any mowing advantages with the x500? I have two options. Suck it up and pay the extra $$$ for a 5 series or buy a 3 series now and a gator in about 6 months....

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
That makes sense. Are there any mowing advantages with the x500? I have two options. Suck it up and pay the extra $$$ for a 5 series or buy a 3 series now and a gator in about 6 months....
Bigger tires make for a smoother ride. Outside that the decks are about the same.

You should be able to get into a lightly used one and stay in budget. These are still 30 year tractors with maintenance so a 1-2 year old one doesn’t lose much life compared to the price reduction.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi all,

I’m moving onto a new property and about 3 acres of it will be mowed. No snow or hills, but we do get a decent amount of rain and the yard can get a little soppy.
I’d like something that is built well enough to haul a Deere cart around with some landscaping supplies (small logs, dirt, mulch, plants).
Budget high end is $5k.
Thanks!

No question a X5xx series would be better – but a X380 would handle a flat 3 acres no problem, the K58 is a considerable upgrade over the K46 (note the K58 in x380 is not really serviceable) For flat 3 acres hauling a cart and yard supplies a X380 is fine option, you hardly ever hear about a K58 tranny going bad. Most times on this and other forums, the main thought is buy one series over what you need and by that logic an X5xx series would be the pick. The X380 is one of better LT ‘s on market, you get the 4 year warranty and it WILL do the job

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all,

Budget high end is $5k.
Thanks!
I think the X380 is a good choice given your requirements and budget. I own its predecessor, the X320, bought new in 2007 and have gotten excellent service from it. I have well over 1000 hours on it and am still on the original traction (drive) belt and tires.Going to replace the traction belt this spring in the interest of preventive maintenance.

Mow 2.5 acres and snowblow (44" snowblower) 300' of driveway. Mostly flat but a couple of steep hills on the walkout side of the basement and septic mound. I also use a 10P trailer and a tow behind broadcast spreader. The X380 fixes my biggest complaint about the X320- the lack of a fuel gauge. Call it luck of the Irish but I always seem to run out of fuel when I'm the farthest away from the garage :slap-yourself-emoti .... a $4k tractor should have a fuel gauge. My only other real complaint is the seat- plenty comfortable but the covering wrinkled and split and was replaced under warranty. The replacement did the same. I put a seat cover over it and am going to install an aftermarket seat later this year. The K58 tranny has held up fine so far. I'd stick with the recommended trailer size; a bigger trailer is tempting but you run the risk of overloading the K58 especially if you pick rocks from your food plot like I do.

I'd go for the 54" deck in the interest of shortening your mowing time and the new style deeper deck should help there, too- you should be able to mow at a faster pace. I gulped when I saw the price of the X320 back in 2007 but this is a case of you get what you pay for. I'm fairly certain we would have gone through two or three lesser tractors by now. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Which ever model you choose consider an AM148403 suspension base. It’s the suspension base under an X700 a 1025R. Then mount a Milsco XB200 on it. A high back seat with some suspension under it makes a world of difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts