Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
Trailer tire going flat on small utility trailer ,,first flat tire in 17 years of hauling fire wood, scrap metal, and tractors. There was a small metal piece showing, looked like nail head. Was 1/4" allen wrench. View attachment 796451
Dang- hard way to get an Allen wrench. . .

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Invest in a plug kit.....Saves you in most cases .
I carry a tiny Milwaukie compressor as well.

Drive a dually soo ..No spare...trailer is all I care about and I've drove on 3 tires lots of times if its unrepairable.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I had one yesterday

$89 later there’s a brand new spare to replace the next one that goes.

This started ‘flapping’ at 5-10 mph, and I only drove that speed for 1/4 mile to my destination and changed it.
I’d put the new tire in place of your oldest/most worn trailer tire and make that your spare.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I had one yesterday

$89 later there’s a brand new spare to replace the next one that goes.

This started ‘flapping’ at 5-10 mph, and I only drove that speed for 1/4 mile to my destination and changed it.
One of mine looked like that 2 years ago after a 65 MPH blowout because a certain nitwit lubes the trailer bearings yearly but didn't give the TP a second glance.

The tires were circa 1994 US made Uniroyal trailer tires and I swear they looked better than the Carlisle china bombs I replaced them with.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like some of the older tires (like the load range E tires I used on plow trucks) simply never cracked from "ozone" like the newer tires do.

Probably a question for someone like RSAmerica who worked in that industry.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I’d put the new tire in place of your oldest/most worn trailer tire and make that your spare.
That would have meant buying 5.

It’s pretty equal odds with the 4 that are on it.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
when i had this happen back in April i went to farm and fleet and bought a new rim and tire already mounted. I actually bought 2 because it is a single axel trailer . cost was around 300$. My Haulmark trailer is 14 years old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.