Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
Never had any luck with collars. The only thing we've used that has kept the ticks off is the Frontline drops that you put on the back of their neck. And luckily, never had to deal with fleas.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never had any luck with collars. The only thing we've used that has kept the ticks off is the Frontline drops that you put on the back of their neck. And luckily, never had to deal with fleas.
That's what we use now. We are always looking for something maybe better/healthier for the dogs.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
we are switching to a collar, used to use Frontline, which seemed to work well, But vet is saying collar is just as good and less harsh on dogs. Also suppose to last like 8 months, so is more cost effective.
We will see......

·
Old Pa-pa
11,738 Posts
Always used Frontline when we had our dogs, now we just have our cats.

In case you're interested, this is something I built if fleas got into the house or my shop.
It's very effective and you don't have to spray, hate spraying flea sprays.

Basically it's a 25 Watt bulb in a mechanic's light, either black light or blue light.
Rodent "sticky stuff" that you can buy at Lowes.
Chicken wire cage to prevent "The Furries" from getting into it.

The light warms up the area and fleas are attracted to it, they will jump at
the warmth/bulb and that is that for them when they hit the sticky stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
We have three Yorkies, and use a product called Pet Armor.
Same properties as Frontline, but much cheaper at $18.00 for 3 application tubes.
Same thing, put on nape of their neck so they cant lick it off, and seems to work very well for 3 month intervals, even with weekly baths.
It can be found at Walmart and Dollar General stores.
Comes in 3 sizes, small, medium, and large pets.

·
Registered
186 Posts
We've been using the Pet Armor on our cat. I agree that it seems to work as well as the more expensive treatments. :good2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
For the last year or so we have been using NexGard on our Keeshonds. It's made by the same people as Frontline. It comes as a soft beef-flavored chewable tablet that you feed once a month. Labeled to control fleas and ticks. The dogs like it and it's less irritating to their skin.

Frank

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Switched last year to NexGard and no results to report yet. Not real good luck with Frontline as I would always find blood filled ticks. The only collar that worked for me was Preventic and ticks were usually dead from it.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
What's everyone use for Flea and Tick control for dogs?
Ever hear of Seresto? Seresto® Flea and Tick Collar | Flea and Tick Prevention
I use Frontline but not real happy with it. Think I'll try this ^^^^^^^.
PetSmart has it in Johnson City so the next time over there I'll be checking on it.
Just checked online price.
Frontline, 3 months=just under 40 dollars
Seresto, 8 months= just under 50 dollars
Seems cost affective

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
For the last year or so we have been using NexGard on our Keeshonds. It's made by the same people as Frontline. It comes as a soft beef-flavored chewable tablet that you feed once a month. Labeled to control fleas and ticks. The dogs like it and it's less irritating to their skin.

Frank
We're using the NexGard as well, dog loves it ind it seems to be effective. Used to use Sentinel but it got pulled from the market.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have lived at my current location for nearly 20 years. I seem every summer to have some sort of 'plague'. One year I was darn near overrun by earwigs. Then one summer those large black ants. Another those Japanese beetles. Then little ants. You get the idea. Last summer it was fleas. I could not get a head of those things. I tried all the usual products. I used Frontline on the schnauzers, I constantly spayed my furniture and carpet before bed and vacuumed. I even tried different home remedies I found on the internet. I switched the girls to Advantage. It seemed to work. Once we hard a hard frost I finally seemed to get the upper hand or so I thought. December 26, settling on my davenport watching my new Grateful Dead concert DVD's of the Fare thee Well shows, I had a flea on my arm. Grrr.....so the battle rages on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts