Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was shopping for my tractor, a friend of mine offered to give me his ballast box -- no charge. He didn't really like it. I didn't like it either. So I started looking for another solution.

I already had some suitcase weights left over from my previous tractor. So I decided to build on that and use Heavy Hitch's products for managing my ballast. I think their solutions provide a lot of flexibility and efficiency. I've used them to provide me with fast changeouts of ballast with minimal effort.

The attached pictures attempt to show my ballast system. Since I've had some trouble getting images posted in the right order, I numbered them. They make more sense if you look at them in order.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,115 Posts
Thanks for sharing keane. :thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
5,637 Posts
Nicely done keane!:good2:

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Great Job

The height adjustment is really a great solution.

I also like the yellow weights, great added touch!

Those colors are always welcomed when you live 15 miles from Lambeau Field.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Absolutely enjoyed reading your write-up Keane - extremely thorough, incredible attention to detail, and the pictures are very illustrative! THANK YOU!

Reactions: rtgt and keane

·
Registered
89 Posts
Can you do a write up of making that cool wooden dolly? I am going to copy your set up,,,
where did you get that cool insert for your front receiver hitch?:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you do a write up of making that cool wooden dolly? I am going to copy your set up,,,
where did you get that cool insert for your front receiver hitch?:thumbup1gif:
The John Deere hitch cover is available on Amazon. Link here. It is made by Plasticolor. The name is a little deceiving. This thing is all metal and is very well made. It fits snugly in the hitch.

It has been a couple of years since I began this dolly project, so I'm going to have to do some digging for more photos and drawings. I did take some additional photos that I never used in the initial post.
The width is easy: It must be a bit wider than the Heavy Hitch weight rack. I added a little space on the back end for the storage of the front 2 inch receiver. But this extra depth also added stability to the cart. The weight is all at the top of the higher-than-usual cart and I didn't want the top-heaviness to be a problem. Everything about the height is critical, and I think I made a drawing to work through this.

Normally, I complete a set of drawings for every aspect of a project like this before I start. It saves time, material, and reduces re-work. However, I wasn't entirely sure where I was going with this one and much of it was designed as I went along.

I will get some more detail put together for you.

Keane

·
Registered
89 Posts
I do appreciate that!:bigthumb:

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
10,153 Posts
Very Nice!

Great write up as well.

:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: keane

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More Details for Building the Ballast Dolly

Here are some additional details I did not put in the first post. These are all related to the design and build process. If there are any unanswered questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Keane

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
Great Project! I'm lucky if I can make a straight cut in a piece of lumber :lol:

And the yellow weights- 30 yrs old look exactly like the new ones! Much to be said about staying with a design that works! Some auto manufacturers would do well to adopt that policy IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts