Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... This weekend we had a mix of ice and snow. I ended up putting chains on my 2032R (1st Gen) but in order to do that, I had to take off my iMatch and pull the 3pt lift arms in or the chains would have bumped them constantly.

I've been running with my rear wheels in the "narrow" position since I got it but I guess it's time to flip them side-to-side and get them in the wide position so I can use the chains and the iMatch at the same time. Not being able to use 3pt implements any time I want to use chains in teh future is a huge no-go for me.

I'm going to pick up a couple of 12mm x 1.5 thread pitch bolts so I can cut the heads off of them to use as guides for putting the wheels back on. Beyond that, how much of a pain is this going to be?

The tires are loaded and I'll be doing this by myself. I do have one floor jack that I can try to use to help lift the tire/wheel and I'll be doing this in a single bay garage with a concrete floor (if that matters!)

Any tips?

·
Administrator
18,543 Posts
Easy. You never have to "lift" the wheels, just take the weight off them with the jack, remove the bolts, then "walk" them off with a side-to-side motion never letting them fall over. It is helpful to have someone on the jack to make minor adjustments, but not mandatory. Once off, you simply revers the process to reinstall.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hello Jim,

I have to do what you are proposing in the fall and spring on my 955. What I ended up doing was finding an exhaust manifold stud which had the fine thread on one end that matched the thread in the hubs. I tried using two studs, but have ended up using just one stud. It was just too diffiocult to line up two studs. I removed the wheel bolt that is at 12 o'clock first. (Yes, you need the wheel bolts aligned so that one is at 12 o'clock) I jack up that one side partially to remove the weight off the wheel. I then remove the other 4 bolts. I then carefully lower the tractor to put weight back on the tire, and wiggle it off the wheel stud. Be very careful you don't tilt the tire back towards you. I rock and roll the tire back and forth to get it to clear the fender, and then spin it around. You then repeat the rock and roll making sure that I have a wheel hole as close to 12 o'clock as I can. It doesn't have to be quite right, as you can lift the tractor to get the vertical alignment where you need it. You then push in the top of the wheel to catch the stud. I then lift the tractor again so the bottom of the wheel drops into place so you can start the wheel nuts. The key here as I see from your post that you are indoors on a concrete floor. That is a plus, but again make sure that you have enough room to work after you remove the tire. I have to do mine outside on gravel, but you adapt. And yes, I generally work by myself, but if you had a helper to run the jack, life becomes much simpler!

I also own a VW, so have had to go with the cut wheel bolt, but I end up with a short stud. I would recommend that you end up with a stud that is about 1-1/2" working length beyond the face of the hub.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
I agree one stud is easier to use than two. I made two for my 2030. I tried them at 3 & 9 o'clock and also 12 & 6 o'clock.

I found it easiest at 12 o'clock. Once one hole is on the stud, jack up the axle a little and the wheel/tire will hang centered if you have the stud at exactly 12 o'clock.

I sawed a slot across the end of the stud for screwdriver removal.

My tires are no longer loaded, but weigh several hundred pounds.

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, you guys have convinced me that I can do this by myself. Just in case, I have a beam overhead so I'm going to throw a couple of ropes over the beam and through the tire/wheel before i take them off. That way, if one falls over on me, I can use a pulley to lift them back up. It's supposed to be warmer on Wednesday so if I get at it fairly early I can get 'r done.

Then I can work on shortening my chains so that they don't flop around on me.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Easy. You never have to "lift" the wheels, just take the weight off them with the jack, remove the bolts, then "walk" them off with a side-to-side motion never letting them fall over. It is helpful to have someone on the jack to make minor adjustments, but not mandatory. Once off, you simply revers the process to reinstall.
A safety tip: Get someone to help you with the jack. Use a jack that wasn't manufactured when bell bottoms were allegedly fashionable. Use a jack that has some measure of fine movement control - not fully open or fully closed like mine.

3038e with filled tires. Without delving into details that make me look like an idiot, I had to take one of them to the dealer for refilling and bead seating. Getting it off and into the truck was no problem - it was empty. After it was fixed, I was able to unload it with an engine hoist and get it up next to the axle like Kenny said. I was holding a flashlight and the top of the wheel with my left hand and working the floor jack with my right to get the bolt holes aligned.

Because my jack sucks ass, I managed to drop the tractor fender onto the top of the wheel. No big deal, but my hand was there! No injury and no pain - I got lucky. It could have gone real bad. Plus was wife was not home at the time and don't know if my neighbor would have heard me screaming.

While I'm here, a question: same tractor, R4 tires, valve stems facing outwards. Chains would be marginal improvement and I'd like to purchase some IF there isn't going to be a problem with clearance. Anybody aware of any?

Al

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
Jim,

You should be A-OK. I have loaded tires on both rigs and remove the wheels on occasion. As was mentioned, just remove the weight from one wheel at a time and rock or shimmy the tire away from the machine.

When reinstalling it's fairly easy to "walk" the wheel back onto the raised hub. I usually try to rotate the axle flange so that one bolt hole is at 12 o'clock. I then use a tapered drift to align the flange hole with the wheel bolt hole.

If rotating / reversing your R-4's to the wide position remember to swap the wheels from side to side.

Reactions: BigJim55 and glc

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! :yahoo:

Wasn't nearly as bad as I was imagining. It took me just over an hour to take the chains off and flip the wheels from side-to-side. It was a bit of a pain doing it while it's only 30 degrees but it is what it is. The wheels are now flipped.

I have to get myself a set of chain pliers so I can shorten my chains before I put them back on so that'll be a couple of days but we don't have any major storms predicted in the mean time.

Thanks peeps! :good2:

·
Administrator
18,543 Posts
Good to hear Jim, glad you didn’t end up under a tire :lol:

I never invested in dedicated chain pliers, you can just use a block of wood, a cold chisel, a hammer, and a medium sized set of bolt cutters. I already had all that so I used them. Frank does have a set though, tell him or bring them over with one of his famous lasagna’s :thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! :yahoo:

Wasn't nearly as bad as I was imagining. It took me just over an hour to take the chains off and flip the wheels from side-to-side. It was a bit of a pain doing it while it's only 30 degrees but it is what it is. The wheels are now flipped.

I have to get myself a set of chain pliers so I can shorten my chains before I put them back on so that'll be a couple of days but we don't have any major storms predicted in the mean time.

Thanks peeps! :good2:
Jim,

I have a large bolt cutter with 36" handles and the heavy duty chain fitting (opening and crimping) tool. You're welcome to use them anytime.

Frank

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to hear Jim, glad you didn’t end up under a tire :lol:
Me too! But I did just like you said. I jacked the machine up enough to take the weight off the tire but left the tire just barely touching the ground, took the bolts out and then walked it back until it cleared. If this thing had been much bigger I'd have paid someone else to do it. These tires were heavy enough as it is!

Jim,

I have a large bolt cutter with 36" handles and the heavy duty chain fitting (opening and crimping) tool. You're welcome to use them anytime.

Frank
Oooooooooooooooooooooo! I may have to swing by and borrow those for a day or two! When are you going to be home? :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
Me too! But I did just like you said. I jacked the machine up enough to take the weight off the tire but left the tire just barely touching the ground, took the bolts out and then walked it back until it cleared. If this thing had been much bigger I'd have paid someone else to do it. These tires were heavy enough as it is!

Oooooooooooooooooooooo! I may have to swing by and borrow those for a day or two! When are you going to be home? :laugh:
I'm around here today and tomorrow. I'm on the road all day Friday in VT & NH. I also have a case of beer here for you if that's any incentive. Courtesy of Oxpath and his brother. I should have gotten that to you by now........

Reactions: glc and JimR

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm around here today and tomorrow. I'm on the road all day Friday in VT & NH. I also have a case of beer here for you if that's any incentive. Courtesy of Oxpath and his brother. I should have gotten that to you by now........
I could come up tomorrow! The other half has been nagging me to get a haircut anyway. My barber shop is right there in Littleton. 2 birds, one stone and all that. :laugh:

Reactions: glc and Kennyd

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
I could come up tomorrow! The other half has been nagging me to get a haircut anyway. My barber shop is right there in Littleton. 2 birds, one stone and all that. :laugh:
Ok. No problem. Give me a call when you’re in the area. I believe you have my number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: glc
1 - 15 of 15 Posts