Green Tractor Talk banner

Floating or Fixed Tines?

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  robpm 
#1 ·
Looking at purchasing a set of fork attachments for my tractor. What's your view point with regards to floating or fixed tines?

#3 ·
Fixed for me also, even if I have to agree with Gizmo :lol:

The homemade set I had was of the fixed/floating hybrid design in that link, just the vibration of driving across the yard would cause them to move in or out, it was a PITA.

#4 ·
I had a 50/50 chance!:lol:
The last tree I took down fell in a really soft spot of pasture and I am not sure I could have got a set of floating forks under the logs. With the ground being so soft the tree planted itself a few inches below grade when it fell.

#6 ·
I strongly concur, fixed is the only way to go. Floating has it's uses, but they're not on a tractor.

My biggest gripe with floating forks is not the inability to tilt them down, it's not the fact that the forks can move in and out on their own. Both of those things are real truths, but my #1 gripe is that the bar the floating forks hang on will bend.

I know they're usually 1.5" thick, I know they're super strong steel. They can still bend, and when they do its a nightmare to get the bars out. If you get the forks situated just right, the loose bottom can kick out sideways and act as a lever to bend the mounting bar. I think it's a bad design, but necessary in one very particular industrial application where the operator is in the air with the forks moving material. I wouldn't have them on a tractor, skid loader, normal industrial forklift, etc.

If you haven't bought yet, check out the Artillian products. I deal with forklifts every day, and his fork system, in my opinion, has more well done engineering behind it than a lot of real lift trucks do. If he ever built a set to fit the 5 series tractors or the Global QA system I would be the first in line to buy one. :good2:

#7 ·
I have a set of floating and wish I had fixed for most applications. I bought them used so I can't complain but if I had it to do over I would have waited to find a fixed pair (or gone with Artillian). I find them frustrating at times as the tines move around and a problem I often have is one tine ends up in the pallet and one under or over it. I prefer to have floating vs no forks but if I could do over...

Reactions: Gizmo2
#8 ·
I agree with everyone, fixed and I would also agree go with Artillian. Don't even bother to look at the others including Deere's if you have a JD SCUT or CUT. The weight of others and the design cannot compete with Artillian's. Everything that Chris does is very good if not outstanding. Just go to his posts on this forum and you will get a taste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.