Green Tractor Talk banner

Fluid filled tires

7877 Views 55 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  John 54
For those of you that went with fluid filled rears, did you use beat juice or something else and why? I ordered a set of wheel weights when I bought the 2038r but they were and are still on back order. Im thinking of just cancelling the wheel weight order and going fluid filled. My dealer uses beet juice which I think os what rimguard is. Local tire place uses methanol which is about half the price of the rim guard. Dealer wants price per gallon and $104 labor to do both wheels. Tire place is a flat $6/gallon.

Cub Cadet Pro Z S148
Zforce SX 48
John Deere 2038r FEL
(2) 80 carts
15 cart
Frontier ss1023b
Frontier af10f
Land Pride QH05 quick hitch
Victory EF 155 flail mower
48” sand filled lawn roller
21 - 40 of 56 Posts
Windshield washer fluid contains alcohol. Just sayin'.
Methanol is similar to water weight. My manual said not to use alcohol based fluids. Yours may be different.
Beet juice is nearly 30% more.
Liquid mercury is 108 lbs per gallon. 😁

You're lucky that you have options. I would have to drive 2 hours 1 way to get to a rimguard dealer. (n)
Reactions: Jimmy Walker
I bought a "southern" tractor and I knew the tires were loaded and never gave it a second thought.
UNTIL a few weeks later, during a cold stretch, fluid was leaking out of the valve stem.
Come to find out it was a weak calcium mix, it was frozen and tore the tube up.
That was a bit of a fiasco.
My dealer is filling with beet juice for $250. Tires are the new radial turf tire on the 2038R for reference. RimGuard/Beet Juice seemed the best option when all factors were considered. non-corrosive, heavy, & non-toxic.
There are several dozen competitors. Apparently there is a lot of interest in this stuff. A company out of NY makes "Citrastar" which is very similar to beet juice but it's made using citrus fruit waste.
Rumor has it there is a new product out to compete with beet juice that is as good, cheaper, similar weight, and not sticky..
That's not entirely correct Jim. I have Citrastar-50 in my tires, actually we have it in my 2038R and our 2555, that's what our tire guy uses. Just to be clear for all who are reading this thread, it is calcium with a rust inhibitor and a citrus fragrance added.
Here is the MSDS
There are several dozen competitors. Apparently there is a lot of interest in this stuff. A company out of NY makes "Citrastar" which is very similar to beet juice but it's made using citrus fruit waste.
Citrastar is actually chloride-based with corrosion prohibitors. I have it in my tires because the closest RimGuard dealer couldn't be bothered filling "lawn tractor" tires.

A company out of NY makes "Citrastar" which is very similar to beet juice but it's made using citrus fruit waste.
@MarkEagleUSA did you get metal valve stems put in when you got fluid?
Nope, the OEM rubber stems.
@MarkEagleUSA did you get metal valve stems put in when you got fluid?
I have a 2025R and I had the rears filled with Rimguard for about $135. i also have a 40 year old Mitsubishi/Satoh Beaver with calcium in the rears.
Reactions: PJR832
Wiper fluid DIY. $118.20
I do have a RK nearby but I dont see beet juice listed on their website. Only thing close was for deer and was 21.99 a gallon. What am I missing here.

Cub Cadet Pro Z S148
Zforce SX 48
John Deere 2038r FEL
(2) 80 carts
15 cart
Frontier ss1023b
Frontier af10f
Of you have a Rural King nearby, I paid like $2.65 per gallon of beat juice. Some RKs sell beat juice with their new tractors. I bought enough for front and rear tires. I think I paid less than $80 after buying their buckets, bucket lids, and tape. I took it home to do it myself.
You need the tape to hold down the bucket lids.. RK bucket lids suck.
Another question. Did any of you fluid fill your fronts?

Cub Cadet Pro Z S148
Zforce SX 48
John Deere 2038r FEL
(2) 80 carts
15 cart
Frontier ss1023b
Frontier af10f
just my 2 cents....

I went with add on weights. I think fluid filled tires are a good idea for some, it's weight that's down low, often an advantage.

BUT - it's also weight that you can't get off easy. Like - I don't want that extra weight when I mow - the tractor is already 1500 lbs on the lawn.

When I need ballast, I can add it with suitcase weights - then lose it when I want to be lighter, to perform some other task.
Reactions: farmer52 and PJR832
In the YouTube link attached, Brock at Rockhill Farms mentions that he added RimGuard in the fronts and gained about 98 pounds of ballast:

Rim Guard beet juice doesn't corrode, just an FYI.
I'm not aware of other brands of beet juice, though.
... Beet juice is acidic and likely contribute to corrosion.
Nope. ...
Keep in mind that filled tires aren't really ballast since the weight isn't behind the rear axle. They're more for stability and additional traction and actually help prevent wheel slip.
just my 2 cents....

I went with add on weights. I think fluid filled tires are a good idea for some, it's weight that's down low, often an advantage.

BUT - it's also weight that you can't get off easy. Like - I don't want that extra weight when I mow - the tractor is already 1500 lbs on the lawn.

When I need ballast, I can add it with suitcase weights - then lose it when I want to be lighter, to perform some other task.
Same here...that's what I filled mine with.
I filled mine with windshield washer fluid. Cheap, easy to find and I can do it myself.
Rim Guard may not corrode the rims but it sure can do a number on the valve stem cores.

Rim Guard beet juice doesn't corrode, just an FYI.
I'm not aware of other brands of beet juice, though.
I initially filled the front tires on my 2720 with Rim Guard and when it was in getting the 3rd SCV installed the dealer called asking who filled the front tires. He "strongly" recommended removing it to avoid any future warranty issues. His exact words were "If you have any drive train issues it will be difficult for us to give you any love". So I took it out.
Mine are permanently filled with foam. They weigh a lot more than if fluid filled. No leaks
21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.