Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm crazy, I get it. I'm a TDI lover and I can't help it. I bought my current car when I had a long drive to work and fell in love with it. I've told my wife for the last year pr so that the only way I will sell my car is if I can find a wagon version of it in the same color with a diesel engine and a 5 speed manual tranny. Honestly, I didn't think such a car existed, until today... I found it on TDICLUB where I'm a regular. I contacted the seller, he called me and we spoke for 30 minutes while I hammered him with questions. It all seems legit so I asked for a few specific pictures, he sent them and I sent him a hold deposit. My uncle is hopefully going to fly out with me and we will drive it back. Roughly 25 hours away from home and about 1600 miles. I will swap all my good parts over to the wagon and sell my sedan. So come on everyone, tell me I'm crazy...

Here's a link to it: 2002 VW Jetta Wagon TDI manual 5 speed 47mpg diesel

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,094 Posts
Your crazy!

Feel better? :laugh:

Fact is your preaching to the choir here.

Congrats on you find and enjoy the trip

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Fly 1600 miles to pick up a car? What's that add to the price of a 14 year old car? You are not right in the head.:crazy::bye2:
Feel better?:laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
That's almost as silly as buying a 20 year old truck that doesn't run. :laugh:

About 7 years ago the better half flew from Nashville to Chicago to buy a 1983 Mercedes 240D, and drove it home. Couple of minor hiccups along the way, but it was an old, cheap car. Sounds like you've got a fun trip planned. :good2:

·
Registered
22,654 Posts
Are you kidding me? A TDI wagon in that year range with the 5-speed is the holy grail!

Being a fellow TDI enthusiast I wouldn't hesitate to do just as you are. Unfortunately I had to sell my TDI's (and my specialty tools) since I can't work on them anymore. Buying older TDI's and fixing them up was my main hobby when my RA hit.

Man you gave me the itch now to go look to see what's there - haven't been on the TDIClub forum for a long time. Maybe I could pick one up that needs resurrected........

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Some pics of the trip home documenting the adventure are needed! :bigthumb:

I am a TDI fan myself. Love the mpg's we get from our '13 Passat.....legal or not! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I drove west a couple states with girlfriend to pick up my 3000gt vr4. It really got to her that I drove it home and she followed in her beater. No, I would not let her drive it... But I did finally the other day.

Everyone knows already that I am crazy, I don't need to ask and agree when told.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Yes you are nuts.........enjoy every minute.....:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well after MUCH thought and a little turmoil, I decided not to buy the car. As bad as I want it, now is just not the time in my life to do something like this. To get the wagon up to the clean level of my sedan will cost another $3000. With a 2 month old daughter and paying my wife's college tuition ($1800/mo) out of pocket, it's just not going to work. I had previously sent the seller a $100 deposit and I told him if he would like to keep it, that's OK. I feel I wasted his time as he answered ALL of my questions and sent me a LOT of pictures. Even though I truly believe I will never find another one like it, the timing just doesn't feel right. It boils down to wants vs needs. And my needs are to provide for my family and better ourselves for the future. This car would only make me happy. My sedan is in excellent condition and I get many compliments. Heck, I told the guy who's doing the timing belt I was going to sell it and him along with 2 others wanted to buy it....

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Truthfully it was but once I made the decision, I had tranquility wash over me...

Sounds like you made the right decision then. :good2: Cars are just toys, and you can always find another one later. They built more than one setup like that I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
Not so crazy that you can't see that now is not the right time. I've sold a few cars, I wish I had kept and passed on more that I wished I had bought. I am SLOW to pull the trigger, so I miss a lot of deals through inaction. I guess I also miss a lot of bad deals the same way. The fact you feel relief cancelling the deal says you made the right choice. $100 is a small price to pay to honorably back out of the deal :good2:

·
Registered
22,654 Posts
The "want vs. need" thing has really plagued me the last few years because of my situation. But I have found now that I get quite a bit of pleasure from just simple little things.

Good decision on your part even though I am sure it was tough. I learned a long time ago to really hesitate and think before making that first inquisition about buying something - almost every time it quickly snowballs into a purchase.

There will be other Jetta wagons around when things settle down in your life a few years from now.

As I said before, the TDI's were my main hobby before getting sick. I know I just can't do it anymore - but lately I feel I could possibly work on one very slowly. but then again.......I actually had to stay away from the TDI forum which I hated to do but the temptation was just too great.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Well after MUCH thought and a little turmoil, I decided not to buy the car. As bad as I want it, now is just not the time in my life to do something like this. To get the wagon up to the clean level of my sedan will cost another $3000. With a 2 month old daughter and paying my wife's college tuition ($1800/mo) out of pocket, it's just not going to work. I had previously sent the seller a $100 deposit and I told him if he would like to keep it, that's OK. I feel I wasted his time as he answered ALL of my questions and sent me a LOT of pictures. Even though I truly believe I will never find another one like it, the timing just doesn't feel right. It boils down to wants vs needs. And my needs are to provide for my family and better ourselves for the future. This car would only make me happy. My sedan is in excellent condition and I get many compliments. Heck, I told the guy who's doing the timing belt I was going to sell it and him along with 2 others wanted to buy it....

Let me commend you on your maturity and dedication to the important things, like your marriage. If you aren't prepared to put your marriage and family first, you are in for a rough time. Ya did good, Bud!

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
When you put what is truly best for your family ahead of things YOU would like to have, but don't really need, you are not only demonstrating maturity, you are demonstrating true love for your family. Also, you exited the deal honorably by not disputing the hold down payment money and recognizing that time is money, even other peoples time.

All in all, I would say you won on this one. Just consider it a test and you passed with flying colors.............
:bigthumb:

·
Registered
365 Posts
You are not crazy! I know what your saying. Finding that right car is most certainly satisfying. I recently did. I too, like you have choose to pass on a certain vehicle. I really wanted this Harley once. It was used and I knew the owner. The bike was better than new. I got spooked about the work picture and I passed. Did the same thing later on a new 500cc Quadzilla. I put money down. Then I realized to was too much for me after I took it for a ride.

When I purchased my current work truck, I took one heck of a risk. The dealer was Wheeler Automotive in Springfield, MO. The van had 97K miles on it. The boss said the accountant wanted him to wait a couple of months. So the van being a Duramax meant I had to act. So I wired 27K to to them. They flew a driver to Pennsylvania where they had just purchased it at auction. I met the driver in Ft. Wayne a few days later. I took the truck after inspecting it. A few days after that, I had the title in hand. 'Leased' it to the boss for the cost of operation and when he had the green light from the holder of the purse strings he handed me a check and I handed him the title. I have put another 100K miles on it with almost no issues what so ever. Biggest problem was the idler pulley failed. My wife said I was crazy but it worked out fine. We since have purchased a couple more diesel work vans off of them. Straight shooters, honest, and fair. I highly recommend Wheeler if your in the market for a used work truck.

You sound like me. Tons of research. You know what you like and want. Still, you gotta take a risk. You can get burned but if you do the homework the chances are reduced. Hats off for taking the high road. I turned down a nice Harley. A few years later I was able to purchase a new better Harley that was the model I actually wanted.

Rock on man!

isaac

1 - 17 of 17 Posts