Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,
I am considering foam filling the tires on my 1025R TLB. I use it primarily for residential mowing and snow removal, but do use the bucket and backhoe for dirt work as needed. This fall I am planning on cutting a path through the woods to access the lower part of the property, and will be working on sloped surfaces with a fair amount of partially buried glass and metal. I suspect that at one time this part of the land was either the burn pile or dump site for an old farm. We still find the old thick glass medicine bottles in that area.
The truth is I hate checking and filling the tires on a regular basis, and would like to negate a potential future issue with flats.
I am wondering what the cons are. Since the 1025 FEL doesn't lift that much, I doubt that the foam will limit lifting capacity. I have read the weight of the foam can add to the wear of the rims and wheel bearings. Not sure if that is accurate, since these tractors are made to run with wheel weights. I am also concerned with traction for mowing and snow removal, as I have many sloped areas. I have turf tires and about 120 hours after 2 years, so wear and tear will be minimal.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ehhhhhhh, I wouldn't.

My rear tires are fluid filled by the dealer. My ride is OK. Interestingly, after my 50 hr. hydro fluid change, my ride got much better and quieter. When I went over a little bump the tractor would be just a bit jerky and the tranny would change the pitch of it's whine. Now it's very smooth and much quieter.

You say you don't use the loader much, but just one accident can be disastrous.

I like having fluid filled tires and my yard has more damage from me scalping the road side ridge than the tires could ever do. And my flat tire? Happened when I was pushing brush with the loader. Backed out and a branch ripped out the stem. I think you'd have to run over something pretty gnarly to put a hole in your tire.

·
Premium Member
13,887 Posts
I wouldn't put foam in the tires, it's very permanent, just sayin'

·
Premium Member
13,115 Posts
The truth is I hate checking and filling the tires on a regular basis, and would like to negate a potential future issue with flats.
Unless you have leaks or flats your tires shouldn't need much maintenance pressure-wise. I haven't fooled with the tire pressure on my 2720 in about 4 years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wouldn't put foam filled tires on anything personally. I bought a JD 2510 last year that had the front tires foamed. In road gear that thing would bounce like it was running on old iron wheels and was hard to control. I bought new tires and rims as soon as I could and switched them out. Those little 5.50 x 16 tires weighed more than the 10.00 16's my 4430 runs. When I picked those miserable things up by hand I thought I was going to blow an O ring and take out a ball bearing. They ain't worth it. When I go through the thorns with a tractor I have another set of rims with old junk truck tires loaded up with slime. If one starts to get low I air it up and load it up with more slime.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wouldn't put foam filled tires on anything personally. I bought a JD 2510 last year that had the front tires foamed. In road gear that thing would bounce like it was running on old iron wheels and was hard to control. I bought new tires and rims as soon as I could and switched them out. Those little 5.50 x 16 tires weighed more than the 10.00 16's my 4430 runs. When I picked those miserable things up by hand I thought I was going to blow an O ring and take out a ball bearing. They ain't worth it. When I go through the thorns with a tractor I have another set of rims with old junk truck tires loaded up with slime. If one starts to get low I air it up and load it up with more slime.
I even found a picture after I mounted the new shoes. thumbnail_20180314_162840.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts