Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 70 (age, not mph :pickup: ) getting up and down from the 2500HD truck bed is getting harder. I've been carrying a small stepladder around in the bed, but it usually ends up where I can't reach it easily. I'm considering adding a Bestop TredStep on the driver's side. My particular truck won't take one on the passenger side. My truck does have a step insert in the bumper, but it is just a bit too high for me.

bestop.jpg bestop2.jpg

Any experiences with this step, or recommendations of alternatives would be appreciated. Buying a lower truck is not a viable option. My truck is a 2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD extended cab long box. Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
I don’t get into my bed anymore - it’s been years - just can’t do it.

I have my 5th wheel hook back there and use that to pull stuff to the back so I can reach it. Anything heavy gets put on a pallet so I can unload it with my forks.

6BDCF8A2-8CAA-47CD-973B-F343AECC31F0.jpeg

If I want contain stuff to the rear I have a load bar.

43E23636-9051-4217-8D1B-45CFDEB7B636.jpeg

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I bought that BesTop step for my 2008 F-250 SuperCab. It arrived a few months ago - ordered after I saw C-Range's post about something similar. And, it's still in the box in the garage. :banghead: Interestingly, just today I was thinking that I needed to install it sooner rather than later.

I don't have a fancy load-bar like Coaltrain has. I bought a short 2x10 at Menards and cut it to fit in the grooves in the bed. Works great to keep my groceries from sliding all the way up the bed under my tool box!! Yeah, it only took one trip to the grocery store before I had to address that issue! :laugh: I cut mine to have a good tight fit and also mitered the corners to accommodate the "rolled corner" in the bottom of the bed. Also found a quart of "oops" paint at Menards to paint the 2x10. Super high quality exterior paint that's a light gray / off-white. Looks good in the bed of my white truck.

Hopefully I get around to installing my step fairly quickly. It's only a couple of bolts and the holes are already supposed to be predrilled in the frame. I'll post up when I do it.

My experience with BesTop from my Jeeping days is that they put out a super high quality product.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
With the amount of off road / less traveled road driving I do, I'm not sure how well one of those would fair... :laugh:

Dad has a hinged "ladder" step on his tailgate. Open tailgate, flip down, 2 steps to climb up. It works well for him, he's had it on 3 work trucks now.
His new F350 has the factory tailgate step, but that's too high even for him!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I bought from Northern Tool a tailgate folding step. It mounts to the inside of the tail gate. It's two steps & your in the truck. It's not the greatest. Metal should be heavier, but it will get me into the truck bed. On sale from Northern Tool it runs about $35. Works well & can be easily detached from the tailgate if you need to remove it.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have the same on on the drivers side rear of the Ram 1500, seems I need all the help I can get these days....:laugh:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an Amp Research Bed Step on one of my Silverados, it is definitely a lifesaver getting in and out of the bed. I would never take it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
I have an Amp Research Bed Step on one of my Silverados, it is definitely a lifesaver getting in and out of the bed. I would never take it off.
That looks like a very nice one. But with any of these like that they would only work for about 6 months of the year. The rest of the time they would be frozen in position caked with frozen slush.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,420 Posts
Nice to see that I'm not the only one who needs a step to get in the truck bed now. :thumbup1gif:

I guess one of the most impressive things when I bought the F 150 was the built in tailgate steps and
the built in popup hand hold.

Wouldn't even have noticed or needed those 10 years ago. :laugh:

·
Registered
8 Posts
That looks like a very nice one. But with any of these like that they would only work for about 6 months of the year. The rest of the time they would be frozen in position caked with frozen slush.
You have a point, but this particular Silverado only pulls my 38' fifth wheel in spring, summer, and fall months. I live in NW Iowa and this truck has never seen snow. The step works great for me. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Put this on my 2011 F150 right after purchasing the truck - 7 years later it's STILL a live saver :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies. I had not heard of the Amp Research step. It looks similar to the Bestop step. Prices on Amazon are Bestop $185.99, and Amp Research step is $259.95

Both install with removal of the same 2 factory bolts, so no drilling. Amp Research step does have an additional bracket attaching it to the bed, so it may be a bit more stable. For some reason the Amp Research reviews tend to say how difficult it is to install, while the Bestop reviews are the opposite.

Maybe I'm missing something. I've looked at both sets of installation instructions, and you tube videos of each. But for $75 less, I'm leaning towards the Bestop step. Has anyone installed the Amp Researh step themselves; how did it go for you?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'd really like a step like that Amp Research one myself, what with my 2017 Ram 2500 being WAY higher than my previous 1500. But living in MN I highly doubt that such an aftermarket product would last through a winter. MN puts so much road salt down that anything not factory coated with paint or powdercoat will rust very quickly. Not to mention just all the grit and slush and ice that would physically interfere. So I just keep on keeping on with bunged up knees from climbing up there the hard way...

If anyone from MN or another winter road salt locale has had one of these for a season or two I'd love to hear how it is holding up.

Rob

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have the Amp, was very easy to install, do not remember paying over 150.00 for it 2 years ago. CT is a salt shaker state and so far mine works and has held up well. Use it often perhaps that keeps it loose....

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Silverado photo with the Amp is of my 2011 truck. I don't remember it being much over $100 at the time. And I don't remember it being any effort to install. Extremely solid, but I only weigh bout 235# or so.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
I have the Amp, was very easy to install, do not remember paying over 150.00 for it 2 years ago. CT is a salt shaker state and so far mine works and has held up well. Use it often perhaps that keeps it loose....
I thought Connecticut used a chemical ice melt. The trucks I saw when on the road up there had pink pellets in them.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts