Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
Wow Bubber, that is a great picture tutorial! Thank you so much for posting it!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No problem. Here is a payoff shot too. It is a light lift, but it made my day none the less.

IMAG0048.jpg

and here are the pics from the gallery in the first post as well.

Thanks Again Ken

Clamp on hook
IMAG0011.jpg
Use 1/2" bit to mark holes
IMAG0012.jpg
Use 1/4" bit to drill first holes
IMAG0013.jpg
Open them up with the 1/2" bit
IMAG0014.jpg
Paint the inside of the holes where you drilled
IMAG0015.jpg
Bolt on the hook
IMAG0016.jpg
Paint everything up, so it looks nice
IMAG0019.jpg
It doesn't look like a professional paint job, but after all it is just a bucket...

·
Registered
714 Posts
They are great hooks, but don't paint the bolts. :boredom:

·
Registered
41 Posts
"Don't paint the bolts", was what my first thought when I saw it. So, I thought I could reply and explain why I wouldn't paint them. First, I don't think there is a law against painting the bolts. I just think there is just different thoughts on it. My thought, I try to make it look like the factory installed it. The factory does not paint the bolts, so I do not paint them either. Everybody is different and everybody has a different thought on it. Here is what mine looks like with the bolts not painted. Either way, this is a great product and they function the same!

IMG-20120706-00568.jpg

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
The secret here is to NOT paint the hooks till after the holes are drilled, that way they won't get all scratched up before you mount them. I have recently added this tip to the instructions.

Painted or not, both hooks looks great and I really appreciate the support from you guys.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The secret here is to NOT paint the hooks till after the holes are drilled, that way they won't get all scratched up before you mount them. I have recently added this tip to the instructions.

Painted or not, both hooks looks great and I really appreciate the support from you guys.
Good point, I did need to touch up the insides of the holes. My main reasoning behind why I painted after they were mounted was to keep the wrench from messing up the paint while mounting. I didn't say it was a good reason, but that's why. :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did you add anything to the underside of the bucket where the bolts attach, to reinforce?
The kit comes with larger washers for the underside. You can also order optional plates for the underside but they are (according to the description on the website) for more heavy duty usage.

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
The kit comes with larger washers for the underside. You can also order optional plates for the underside but they are (according to the description on the website) for more heavy duty usage.
100% correct :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Got my hooks in the mail the other day. Nice looking pieces! I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and paint my bolts. It's not like they're ever going to need to be removed and I see painted bolts under the hoods of cars all of the time. So paint them I will. I'm also going to use a small amount of silicone sealer to keep mother nature from doing a number on any nicked surface that I'll never see until it's too late. After I drill the holes, I'll mask off the area, so as not to paint half the bucket, and paint the holes before installation as well. I had a "single" friend that always said "You can never be too careful",,,, just after he said "Four condoms and a hose clamp".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts