Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit it is only within the last few months that learned about what food plots are.

I saw the term mentioned in some posts on the web and I had to look it up because it didn't sound like these were gardens for veggies that were being talked about.

Here is my question - from what I have read people create food plots for hunting. Is that correct?

One gardening tip I read somewhere suggested that if you grew a food plot it would give the local deer and such a food source that would distract them from the veggie garden.

I'm wondering if any of you have tried this tactic and if so with any positive results.

I would be happy to till some ground and plant some clover or whatever to keep the deer from chowing on my veggies!

As always with my questions - thanks! :good2:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I have a friend that always planted a small garden for the rabbits, and they would stop working there way into his "real" garden that was fenced off. Before the second garden, rabbits ate almost everything, as it came up.

I just have my garden in my fenced yard, so deer and rabbits, etc., as less likely to get into it, as the dogs are out there often. Now, if I could figure out a way to keep the dogs from eating my tomatoes.....

·
Registered
640 Posts
I am considering doing this exact thing. I am planting a new garden for the first time at our new property and do not want to put up a fence to keep the critters away. I will see how well it does with no protection but if it gets to be just food for the wildlife then next year I will plant them their own just a few hundred yards away.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
One gardening tip I read somewhere suggested that if you grew a food plot it would give the local deer and such a food source that would distract them from the veggie garden.

I'm wondering if any of you have tried this tactic and if so with any positive results.
Don't bet on it. Our deer always manage to sample everything, the wife's flower garden and the veggie garden. Six foot deer fence keeps the out. Easy to put up, easy to take down for tilling!
IMG_0585.jpg
You'd think with all the grass and clover fields around us we wouldn't have deer problems. :lolol:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
As long as it's green - I consider it "yard" - Clover, dandelions, etc. are ALL welcome in my yard and as a result there are tons of deer feeding there just about every day.

When I re-seed an area I use a deer feed mix rather than grass seed. The plants are hardier (as they are really weeds), I never have to water, and I go through less REAL deer feed during hunting season.

As for them not going after other stuff as a result - not so much. They still tear into my fruit trees (now surrounded by fencing at each tree) and LOVE eating my wife's hastas (I think I spelled that right.)

For a garden - I plan on putting up a small greenhouse eventually. Put gutters along the roof and route into catch basins with drip feeders for low maintenance.

·
8,558 Posts
I am considering doing this exact thing. I am planting a new garden for the first time at our new property and do not want to put up a fence to keep the critters away. I will see how well it does with no protection but if it gets to be just food for the wildlife then next year I will plant them their own just a few hundred yards away.
Put it that far away, and it won't help much. Around here, the rabbit/deer/other wildlife garden is about 10-15 yards away from the fenced "human" garden. Both contain the same items to grow. With easy access to their own, they leave the fenced sections alone.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
A no hunting deer attitude like some people want is the problem. When my neighbors chickens ruined our garden some years ago I was told by the law enforcement that I could shoot/kill what is ruining my stuff. With people it's only if they intend to kill/mime us. This year I think it's open season on crows, they keep getting bigger and multiplying. It's like they invite their whole family over. And they act like this place belongs to them along with everything that we plant. Like we're doing this for them. Henry likes to reach out and touch and he touches with a .17 at 3000 FPS. Deer don't bother us much. Crows...:rocket:

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
A no hunting deer attitude like some people want is the problem. When my neighbors chickens ruined our garden some years ago I was told by the law enforcement that I could shoot/kill what is ruining my stuff. With people it's only if they intend to kill/mime us. This year I think it's open season on crows, they keep getting bigger and multiplying. It's like they invite their whole family over. And they act like this place belongs to them along with everything that we plant. Like we're doing this for them. Henry likes to reach out and touch and he touches with a .17 at 3000 FPS. Deer don't bother us much. Crows...:rocket:
You da-man!! :bigthumb:

I agree, 100%, no question!:good2:

:rocket: :snipersmilie:
Lock n Load!

·
8,558 Posts
We hunt deer, and almost everything else around here. Still doesn't save your garden if you don't fence it off.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Michigan is the 2nd largest deer hunting state in the nation with 1.1 million hunters hitting the woods just for firearm season (not including the 3 month bow/crossbow season), we harvest 500-600K deer annuallly and the herd is still north of 2 million head. There is just an ample supply of food to support a VERY large population of them around here despite a serious hunting crowd.

Anyone around here that wants to have a garden has to wall it in, otherwise they see crop loss.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
Michigan is the 2nd largest deer hunting state in the nation with 1.1 million hunters hitting the woods just for firearm season (not including the 3 month bow/crossbow season), we harvest 500-600K deer annuallly and the herd is still north of 2 million head. There is just an ample supply of food to support a VERY large population of them around here despite a serious hunting crowd.

Anyone around here that wants to have a garden has to wall it in, otherwise they see crop loss.
When we lived up there back in the '80's the governor at the time listened to the animal rights people and made it so you couldn't hunt so many deer. The population got so big people were getting killed because of it. Probably one reason he didn't get re-elected. With the new governor, he didn't listen to the animal rights people very much and you could bag more deer and the property taxes were cut in half. 'Course it was soon after the election we moved down here. Missed out on all that. Some of the farmers where we lived would leave a couple rows of corn in the fields when they did their harvest just for the deer. Guess it was easier to hunt them knowing where they were. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
When we lived up there back in the '80's the governor at the time listened to the animal rights people and made it so you couldn't hunt so many deer. The population got so big people were getting killed because of it. Probably one reason he didn't get re-elected. With the new governor, he didn't listen to the animal rights people very much and you could bag more deer and the property taxes were cut in half. 'Course it was soon after the election we moved down here. Missed out on all that. Some of the farmers where we lived would leave a couple rows of corn in the fields when they did their harvest just for the deer. Guess it was easier to hunt them knowing where they were. :bigthumb:
Anti-hunters can blow me.......In my area you can almost get unlimited tags (you start with (2) buck tags, but you can go back for doe tags as long as the quota in your DMU (deer mgmt unit) hasn't been met. They haven't hit the quota for a couple of years in my area. I've got a good 1/2 dozen in my yard every morning/evening and even more crossing through during the night.

I haven't had to buy meat since October as I took (2) last year - I'm hoping to make it through to this coming season starting Oct 1st. I like getting my meat products directly from the food chain to avoid the steroids, antibiotics, etc. that are prevalent in the beef industry. Anything that we would use beef for we simply substitute venison.

Loves me some venison tacos....Mmmmmmm. :bigthumb: Not my fault God made em delicious.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks for the responses everyone! I completely agree with the crow issue. They're like a gang and I'm on their turf! And about the size - they ARE huge! Like small turkeys!

I do have an electric fence around our main veg garden but I am planning on another garden for the things that need more space like pumpkins, melons and gourds. I'm also going to plant my spuds in the new garden as well. That was the impetus for the food plot question as I don't have a fence around this one ………. yet.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I usually put a couple pieces of apple on the electric fense so the deer get a good taste of just exactly what I'm putting out. Usually don't have an issue. Much

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts