Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good friend who purchased a new leftover 2012 FX4 SuperCab F150 with the 5L V8, 4WD, 6.5' bed in 2013 Vin 1FTFX1EF2CFCxxxxx and it has the towing package. He had it Ziebarted and the bed lined and he has taken meticulous care of it and it only has 12,000 miles on it and he wants to sell it for $26K. He purchased it for $35K. It has P275/65R18 tires. I am interested in purchasing it. However I want to be able to tow my 990 which is 6500 lb with it. The axle ratio on this is the 3.55 according to the door sticker (19) which from the specifications states that it can only tow 7800 lbs. If it had the 3.73 axle ratio it could tow 9400 lbs. Here are my questions:

1. Can the axle ratio be changed? I am guessing that you have to do it both in the front and the back since it is a 4x4 if that is possible.
2. Is there anything else that would need to be done in order to increase its towing capacity?
3. If a change of the axle ratio is all that would need to be done is it best to take it to a dealer or is it possible to do oneself if you have the tools and the where with all to do these types of things?
3. Also one last question what is a typical cost to change out the ring and pinion, again if it is possible?

I have attached the specs for the 2012 F150's and this gives the towing specifications.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
This is merely my opinion although I have no doubts on several getting all tore up over it. If you are just all about this particular truck and gotta have it then all I can say is been there, done that, and lord knows it's going to occur many more times through out my life, so that part I understand. The part of it that I personally would have issues with is giving 26k for a truck then going through the work and expense to gain 1600lbs of towing capacity. I don't see it as being worth it unless you have plans for other uses (such as off roading for example) which I doubt you to do with a truck highly maintained with few miles and a 26k price tag (just a guess on your character). Unless your towing the tractor OFTEN (in which case I would say you need more than a 1/2 ton) just leave the truck as is, turn the overdrive off while towing, and cruise on. I know states vary in what they inforce but NEVER have I been pulled over (and boy oh boy I have seen my share of blue lights behind me in various states while towing) and the officer went to the extent to check my towing capacity against my weight. If your in a commercial business then that's a different ballpark (again you need more than a 1/2 ton for towing imho) and I would want to play by the rules of the road however if your towing your tractor occasionally for a project here and there, based on the various trucks I have had, I doubt you will "feel" the difference in towing capicity. If your thinking in terms of doing what's "right" for the truck in regards of towing. I would hate to increase the rpm's on a engine that doesn't get stellar gas mileage to begin with by throwing lower gearing into it. I would rather have the mpg's than the occasional 1600lbs of additional towing capicity That's simply my .02 worth and I may be way off base in how you plan to use the truck. If you really like and want this truck and concerned about towing capacity to the extent your willing to change out gear ratios, have you considered leaving the truck as is and trading your trailer off for an aluminum trailer? You could make up a good portion of towing capacity by getting a lighter trailer. Of course if you already have an aluminum trailer that bit of advice is useless to you.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I bought a 2010 F150 4x4 supercab 6.5 bed with the 5.4L 3V engine and 3.55 gears in 2011 with 30,000 miles for $24k. I tow my 2720 frequently for personal use, and it's around 3000lbs with the front end loader. I also tow a 3500lb travel trailer where the drag on the highway is a bigger deal than the weight. I think you'll be ok unless you are going to regularly tow over 6,000 lbs with it. How heavy is your trailer and what implements do you have on the 990 to make it 6500lbs?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Imo

Just saying, you would be safer and happier going with a 3/4 ton truck. bigger brakes, heavier suspension. I am sure that is a nice truck you are looking at but with my experience from working around pick-ups pulling trailers....we have several where I work...you would be better off in the long run... hope you get what makes YOU satisfied that's the main thing. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have a good friend who purchased a new leftover 2012 FX4 SuperCab F150 with the 5L V8, 4WD, 6.5' bed in 2013 Vin 1FTFX1EF2CFCxxxxx and it has the towing package. He had it Ziebarted and the bed lined and he has taken meticulous care of it and it only has 12,000 miles on it and he wants to sell it for $26K. He purchased it for $35K. It has P275/65R18 tires. I am interested in purchasing it. However I want to be able to tow my 990 which is 6500 lb with it. The axle ratio on this is the 3.55 according to the door sticker (19) which from the specifications states that it can only tow 7800 lbs. If it had the 3.73 axle ratio it could tow 9400 lbs. Here are my questions:

1. Can the axle ratio be changed? I am guessing that you have to do it both in the front and the back since it is a 4x4 if that is possible.
2. Is there anything else that would need to be done in order to increase its towing capacity?
3. If a change of the axle ratio is all that would need to be done is it best to take it to a dealer or is it possible to do oneself if you have the tools and the where with all to do these types of things?
3. Also one last question what is a typical cost to change out the ring and pinion, again if it is possible?

I have attached the specs for the 2012 F150's and this gives the towing specifications.

Thanks for your help.

1. Yes, it can be changed, and as you stated must be done on both front and rear due to 4x4.
2. LEGALLY, even changing the gear ratio will not increase your towing capacity. They will go by the VIN/Tags regardless of what modifications you have made. Specs out of the factory is what you are stuck with if it ever came to a legal battle.
3. If you have to ask IF this can be done, you probably shouldn't be doing it yourself. It is possible, but things like backlash and preload are items that if not done correctly can destroy a differential in short order.
4. Cost, quick guess about $200/diff for gears, plus all the seals etc. that you will need. And figure in about 4-6 hours labor per axle at your local rate, price tag will get upwards to 2k for you to get worse mileage all the time, and no legal advantage... IRL the higher gearset will help you start and accelerate more quickly while towing, nothing more.

My opinion, as was already stated. If you really like that pickup, and only tow a few times a year, just go for it.
If you are towing the tractor often and far, you need a larger tow vehicle regardless. Trying to "fix" the one your friend has is only a bandaid, not a solution.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
When I went looking for my truck,, the FIRST spec I demanded was the 4.10 axle ratio.

I have been more than happy with the truck,, and fuel mileage is not that much different.

If you are going to tow over 5K pounds,, get a 4.10 axle. JMHO

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
When I went looking for my truck,, the FIRST spec I demanded was the 4.10 axle ratio.

I have been more than happy with the truck,, and fuel mileage is not that much different.

If you are going to tow over 5K pounds,, get a 4.10 axle. JMHO
Or a diesel...
I don't know if you can even get a 4.10 ratio in a Ford anymore... I think even the F450s went to a 3.73...
More gears in the trans means a lower 1st so a better gear ratio can be used.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Or a diesel...
I don't know if you can even get a 4.10 ratio in a Ford anymore... I think even the F450s went to a 3.73...
More gears in the trans means a lower 1st so a better gear ratio can be used.
I had a 1987 Suburban, that truck had 3.73 gears,,, but had 235X75-15 tires.
It would pull anything,, mostly because of those tiny tires reduced the gear ratio.

My reasoning for going to 4.10 was the low tire was no longer available.
It was a good decision.

If the transmission is doing all the gear reduction,, that is a LOT of torque on the driveshaft, etc,,

My driveshaft in the Silverado with 4.10 gears is enormous!!,, either 5 or 6 inches in diameter,,,

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I try not to get in truck arguments but it sounds to me that you need to go 3/4 ton truck, unless your only towing a short distance and not often. Differentials can be change but price of truck and changing Diffs your are into some money.....
My 2cents:munch:

·
Registered
3,841 Posts

Thanks for your help.

Yes you can tow your 990 with the 3.55 axle. Not real well, but you can do it. The tow/haul mode will help you a lot here. Normally, you are only going short distances with a tractor, not like you were going cross country towing a travel trailer which is much tougher to tow anyway. Now, let's talk weight. I do not see how a 990 can weigh 6500#. My 4066R only weighs a little less than 5000# with the cab. With the loader, weight is only up to about 6000#, again with a cab which you do not have. I think the cab adds about 1000#. And the 4066R is a bigger tractor. I suspect a bare 990 will likely weigh around 3000 to 3500#, pretty much similar to a 3 series tractor. Now we are talking half the weight you mentioned and that is a big factor in your equation. Go for it and post some pics of your new (to you) F150. That 5.0 has plenty of grunt.

Dave

PS... If it does not have the trailer brake controller, you will have to add that. Not hard to do. I had to add it to my 2011 F250 when I got it. Towing package does not automatically include the TBC.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Yes you can tow your 990 with the 3.55 axle. Not real well, but you can do it. The tow/haul mode will help you a lot here. Normally, you are only going short distances with a tractor, not like you were going cross country towing a travel trailer which is much tougher to tow anyway. Now, let's talk weight. I do not see how a 990 can weigh 6500#. My 4066R only weighs a little less than 5000# with the cab. With the loader, weight is only up to about 6000#, again with a cab which you do not have. I think the cab adds about 1000#. And the 4066R is a bigger tractor. I suspect a bare 990 will likely weigh around 3000 to 3500#, pretty much similar to a 3 series tractor. Now we are talking half the weight you mentioned and that is a big factor in your equation. Go for it and post some pics of your new (to you) F150. That 5.0 has plenty of grunt.

Dave

PS... If it does not have the trailer brake controller, you will have to add that. Not hard to do. I had to add it to my 2011 F250 when I got it. Towing package does not automatically include the TBC.
Load the rear tires, throw on his backhoe, a implement or two for the project........ I wouldn't doubt a bit he isn't pushing the weight he claims. My 3520 weighs around 3500 with cab, loader adds another 1000 or so, rear tires are loaded, usually have the box blade on front of trailer so there's 3-400 lbs (guessing, have no clue what it weighs), almost always have the brush cutter so there is another 600lbs +/-........ Screw it, to much math, I guesstimate I'm usually rolling around pushing the 6k mark every time I put my tractor on the trailer. Some days more if I have the disk with me too. I'm betting he is fairly dang close with the loader, backhoe, and just a implement or two.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave thanks for the practical input.

I do not see how a 990 can weigh 6500#. My 4066R only weighs a little less than 5000# with the cab. With the loader, weight is only up to about 6000#, again with a cab which you do not have. I think the cab adds about 1000#. And the 4066R is a bigger tractor. I suspect a bare 990 will likely weigh around 3000 to 3500#, pretty much similar to a 3 series tractor. Now we are talking half the weight you mentioned and that is a big factor in your equation.
You are right on the weight of the 990 but when you add everything else up it comes to 6000 lbs.

990 - 3175 lbs
300CX FEL - 689 lbs
HD bucket - 283 lbs
8B BH - 1260 lbs
Wheel Wgts - 440 lbs

Total 5847 lbs

This does not include JD canopy which is well over 100 lbs and additional items. So I would safely say 6000 lbs.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

You are right on the weight of the 990 but when you add everything else up it comes to 6000 lbs.

990 - 3175 lbs
300CX FEL - 689 lbs
HD bucket - 283 lbs
8B BH - 1260 lbs
Wheel Wgts - 440 lbs

Total 5847 lbs

This does not include JD canopy which is well over 100 lbs and additional items. So I would safely say 6000 lbs.
When I read over your signature line I thought it was fairly obvious your 990 was not going to weigh lightly

·
Registered
3,841 Posts

990 - 3175 lbs
300CX FEL - 689 lbs
HD bucket - 283 lbs
8B BH - 1260 lbs
Wheel Wgts - 440 lbs

Total 5847 lbs

I still think you are ok with this pickup. Just do not go on long hauls. Another thing to think of is the trailer capability. You are going to need a trailer with tandem 7K axles for at least a 14K rating after allowing for the tare weight of the trailer. This is why I upgraded to a gooseneck trailer after getting my 4066R. I got tired of having to upgrade trailers, so went whole hog. Don't forget to check out whether the pickup has TBC. I have had two different people tell me recently that they thought the trailer brakes just worked automatically if you plugged them in. They had no idea about needing a TBC. These people should have known better. If you have to add the TBC, it is an easy plug and play, but you will have to drop by your dealer and have them re-program the on board computer to recognize it. As best I remember, that cost me something like $65.

Dave

·
Registered
309 Posts
I googled the implements on your 990 to figure out you probably are close to 6000 lbs. My 2010 F150 weighs around 6000 lbs. I do generally prefer to tow less weight than the tow vehicle itself, but I also worked on a fence crew where an F350 pulled around a gooseneck with a tractor, post driver, front end loader, rock auger, running gear, and a load of posts and boards. If it were me, it would really come down to how far and at what speed you needed to move your tractor? Highway trips I'd prefer a bigger truck. 45mph a dozen miles down the road I'm ok with the F150.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
There is a big difference in what a F150 can tow depending on how its equipped. My dad has a 2013 F150 with the 3.5EB, max tow, max load packages. His 150 will tow anything that my 2016 6.2 gas F250 will. I have driven both trucks , pulling the same load, on the same road. The 3.5 EB seems to have more power than the 6.2. As on the hill just north of wauseakee the 150 is able to hold 6th gear while running 62mph [speed limit is 55mph]. My 250 has to drop to 4th to hold this speed. Both trucks had the cruise on and were in tow/haul mode.

My point is if you want to tow heavy loads with a F150 be sure to get the MAX tow package, which should not be confused with the more common tow package. Most 150s do not have the max tow package. Dad had to special order his truck. After not being able to find one on local lots. I decided to get a f250 rather than order a 150.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The truck itself is slightly overpriced. Changing the ring and pinions in both axles will cost you $1000 plus, depending on what gears you decide on and if you have to change the carriers. As stated, this will allow the truck to tow the weight easier, but it won't change the factory specifications. I just saw a VA state officer checking a truck and trailer the other day. It happens.
If you are only moving the tractor every once in a blue moon, and for short distances, you may be ok. But, you are on the margins, and maybe over, depending on the weight of your trailer. You asked about what else you'd have to do- you will definitely need trailer brakes and a brake controller on the truck.
I have a cousin that occasionally towed a 3032e w/loader behind his F150, and didn't like it. He moved up to a 3/4 ton. A close friend moves his NH TC35 with a 1/2 ton Chevrolet, and hates it. The truck does it, but it is maxed out- hard on the brakes and the transmission. He is going to move up to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
My thoughts- between the premium price for the truck, and the costs of what you'll need to do, there are better options for the money to move the tractor. It may be a nice truck, but it isn't an optimum deal.
As has been said- the truck will do it. I've witnessed, many times, a contractor moving a Case skid steer on a tiny, single axle trailer, behind an old (70's) half ton Chevy truck. While it could be done, it shouldn't. That is more extreme than what you are asking, but the principle is the same. Whether the truck will physically do it isn't the only question. Should it be done? Maybe not.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What everyone has not said, not only does the tractor and implements add up to 5500 lbs but you also have the 2000 lb trailor, because you will need a 7000 to 10000 lb rated trailor to put it all on.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Everyone, I really appreciate your input and help. I received a good education and I got more feedback from everyone here than I did on a Ford forum.

I don't need to buy my Friends truck, I just liked the price and the fact that I know the owner and I know how he has taken care of it. Those are the things I liked the most. He told me on a couple of trips which he took to PA using the Cruise Control he got 23 mpg. I liked that as well. I know I would not get that towing something. I really would like to get a truck but if I do I would like to be able to hall the tractor with it and I would like to hall it up to NH to the property which I have and it does not sound like my friends F150 will really do that. It is about a 300 mile run. It also does not seem to make sense in changing the ring and pinion gears either since then I am going to reduce my MPG and it still does not make me legal based upon the factory specs. So the more I think about it, it does not make sense to me. Whoever buys his truck will be getting a cream puff of a truck. He even has the weathertec floor-mats etc. He went all out on this truck and it is very nice I believe for that price. He is selling it because he wants some extra money to buy a piece of property to build a new house on. Be that as it is I am not going to purchase it. I have to look at my budget and see what I could afford because trucks sure are not inexpensive and it is hard to know how people have taken care of them when you buy them second hand.

What do you all think of the Nissan Titan XD with the diesel in it? It has a 5 year or 100k warranty on it which is pretty nice.

I have looked before at the F150 with the EB engine because I believe it can tow close to 12K lbs. But I believe that the price is pretty high on it as well.

I am open to suggestions. Again thank you all for your input, it was great and I appreciated it!:good2::good2:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts