1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I haven't seen it on a CUT before, but a lot of the snowmobile clubs use 6 and 7000 series tractors with tracks to groom trails.
Pretty cool and they go through/over a lot.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Interesting that the manufacturer of those tracks doesn't list any for tractors smaller than the 6-series. Someone did some custom work to make those fit.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Interesting that the manufacturer of those tracks doesn't list any for tractors smaller than the 6-series. Someone did some custom work to make those fit.
The posting mentioned.

• Tractor with Soucy tracks can be sold separately for $50,000 includes additional mounting kit for 30HP Kubota.
So, I am thinking they bought a set for Kubota and modified it somehow. Interesting that they want $59k for everything or $50k for the tracks.

Edit: Then he mentions selling the tracks for $20K firm. :unknown:

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
I there are multiple manufacturers. I’ve seen 4 wheelers, sxs’s, jeeps, s-10’s, blazers, 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons, 5 series and 6 series all running track kits.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
There is more there in tracks ($) than in the tractor itself, those conversion kits are NOT cheap.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
I there are multiple manufacturers. I’ve seen 4 wheelers, sxs’s, jeeps, s-10’s, blazers, 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons, 5 series and 6 series all running track kits.
Yeah, I know. But he listed the specific manufacturer of the tracks he has in his ad and that manufacturer doesn't list them as compatible with that machine.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Yeah, I know. But he listed the specific manufacturer of the tracks he has in his ad and that manufacturer doesn't list them as compatible with that machine.
Which is why I assume he also mentioned that the tracks come with parts for a Kubota 30HP machine. I think that is what he started with and did something to modify them (with or without manufacturer support) to fit the JD.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Our local snowmobile council has 6 - 6430R tractors and of those, will have 3 with the same brand of tracks as these this season.

The tracks on ours cost more than twice the price of this stock tractor and loader new.

But I am pretty sure the tracks on this 3720 are all around smaller than ours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Our local snowmobile council has 6 - 6430R tractors and of those, will have 3 with the same brand of tracks as these this season.

The tracks on ours cost more than twice the price of this stock tractor and loader new.

But I am pretty sure the tracks on this 3720 are all around smaller than ours.

Just curious. How can snowmobile clubs afford that amount of high dollar equipment. Are dues and membership that pricey??? Your talking over 100k easy for that stuff.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
In terms of dollars and cents, it is similar to floats on an airplane. They cost nearly as much as the plane.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Just curious. How can snowmobile clubs afford that amount of high dollar equipment. Are dues and membership that pricey??? Your talking over 100k easy for that stuff.
It may be 100k or more, but you spread the cost over 10 years and it’s only 10k a year, assuming it has zero value after that.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I can't speak for Wisconsin, but here in MN, a portion of the annual state license fee for each snowmobile ultimately makes it way back to the clubs for trail maintenance.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Martincom describes pretty close to how Maine does it, They dedicate a percentage of the snowmobile registration fee to trail maintenance, and the clubs submit an invoice for hours worked each spring for reimbursement out of the dedicated fund. The clubs also do fundraising in addition.

The nest way to describe it is "A multimillion dollar industry financed on the back of hot dog roasts". :dunno:

Dave

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can't speak for Wisconsin, but here in MN, a portion of the annual state license fee for each snowmobile ultimately makes it way back to the clubs for trail maintenance.
Wisconsin is the same. And they changed it several years ago that to get a trail pass, you need to belong to a snowmobile club. So I register my sleds in Wisconsin for $30 for 3 year license, pay my club dues, then they issue me a trail pass for $10. Without a club and registered in Wisconsin, it's $30. Out of state and no club is $50.

Think my club leased their 2 tractors. At least one of them is up for replacing, think it is 5 years old.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry I did not see this earlier...

Most important detail is all labor is donated in our county.

In heavy snow belts, even in north eastern WI, I'm sure this just isn't possible.

Also important is tires on groomer tractors have been for the most part very good for us. In the UP of Michigan they won't work. Tires go for many years and tracks cost a lot of money and have

maintenance.

WI has the funding setup at so much per mile of trail you maintain. I cant remember exactly but around $250 per mile. We have 360 miles of trails. It covers all the signs, gates, posts and any other trail

maintenance we do.

Grooming is part of it. We have to pay all costs related to the tractors including fuel, repairs, brush hogs and drags just to name a few.

Tractors are way more than $100000, Tracks are in the $70000 range and tractors are $90000 range. Drags are also over $10000.

This has been going on for a number of years. We didn't drop in to JD dealer and buy 6 new tractors the first year.

John Deere does have a 5 tractor discount that is very attractive for non profits and municipality's.

We have had a tremendous council for many years. I am a newbie at 10 years or more.

We actually have little or no debit thanks to the previous and present council members.

Most of our tire tractors have basically 30.5 rear tires that are cut for better traction and we run chains on the front. When snow is deep we need to do all the first trip thru with tracks and 2 tractors

would not keep up so that is why we added a third set of tracks for this coming year.

Any questions please let me know and I will try to help anyway I can.

All snowmobile clubs in our county have 2 representatives on our county council. All grooming and trail work is funded by the county council. Not a lot of other counties do this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts