Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

Registered
Discussion Starter #3

Premium Member
Thanks.

08 November 1965 was also my twentieth birthday and my first day of basic training at Fort Jackson, SC. I had no idea what was going on half way across the world. Didn't take long to find out, though.
DR, I know it has been said before, but THANK YOU for your Service.

You served when it wasn't popular and in a place that, well was just he!!.

All of the Vietnam vets deserve our thanks, and an apology for how some in this country treated them.

Registered

All of the Vietnam vets deserve our thanks, and an apology for how some in this country treated them.
Double thumbs up! :bigthumb::bigthumb:

Registered
Discussion Starter #9

Well, it wasn't fun. However, I don't know how long it would have taken to change me from a boy to a man without that year in Vietnam. I don't feel like anyone owes an apology to those of us who survived, came home and continued our lives. I do think that that protesters, the celebrities and others who took their feelings about the war out on the warriors owe a huge debt of gratitude, as we all do, to the warriors who came back with serious injuries, physical and mental, and to the families who lost their sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles.

I was fortunate enough, because of a 15 year break in service, to have served in a time when military members and veterans, Korean War and Vietnam War, were not treated as they should have been, and at a time when warriors were treated well, almost to an excess, it that is possible. I feel like the nation learned a valuable lesson after Vietnam and for that reason, our military carries a very high degree of respect today. I had trouble dealing with people thanking me for my service. I didn't know what to say. I never thought that I did anything special and still don't. I only did what millions of other Americans had done. I finally figured out that the best thing to do was say "Thank you". It's been a long time and if I had the opportunity to live that part of my life over, I wouldn't change a thing.

Keith: I seldom watch PBS, but I never miss the Memorial Day program. I sit in front of the TV with a box of tissues by my side. Thanks for posting that. I also think that Gary Sinese is a saint. There is no bigger supporter of military people than he.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts