Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I posted some pictures from my phone last week and they displayed upside down no matter what I did to them. They displayed correctly on my computer so I thought I'll just rotate them and everything will be OK. NOT. It appears phone have a right side up and upside down on them even though the pictures all look correct. So If your pictures are displaying upside down take them again with the phone turned 180 degrees. You learn something new every day. :good2:
Ron

·
Administrator
16,785 Posts
The key to iPhones seems to be landscape mode (phone held sideways) and home button on the right.

·
Super Moderator
7,800 Posts
If I happen to take a photo in the portrait mode I know it will appear sideways if I post it directly to the forum. So, I save it to and upload from Dropbox when posting. It will then appear with the proper orientation.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
If I happen to take a photo in the portrait mode I know it will appear sideways if I post it directly to the forum. So, I save it to and upload from Dropbox when posting. It will then appear with the proper orientation.
One more step I do to EVERY pic is to run it through Photoshop Elements,,,
mostly so I can reduce the size of the pic,, and they are all standardized.

The reduction in size reduces the data size an enormous amount,,,
then the pics can be moved or posted quickly.

·
Registered
20,811 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The key to iPhones seems to be landscape mode (phone held sideways) and home button on the right.
That works if you're right handed. Another issue for us lefties to have to deal with. :sigh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
That works if you're right handed. Another issue for us lefties to have to deal with. :sigh:

Can't you use the volume and or sleep buttons as the shutter release? Either way works with my iPad.

·
Super Moderator
7,800 Posts
Can't you use the volume and or sleep buttons as the shutter release? Either way works with my iPad.
.....learn something new every day! :good2:

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
.....learn something new every day! :good2:
I found out by accident - was holding my iPod with my left hand and the shutter kept firing like a machine gun.

Just tested it out - either volume button works but not the sleep button. Works the same for my iPod touch and iPad so I would assume it will work with an iPhone.

·
Administrator
16,785 Posts
I found out by accident - was holding my iPod with my left hand and the shutter kept firing like a machine gun.

Just tested it out - either volume button works but not the sleep button. Works the same for my iPod touch and iPad so I would assume it will work with an iPhone.
Correct, either volume button works :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
There is meta data inside of each .jpg for pictures taken on an iPhone. Unless you've disable location services for "camera", that data has the GPS location where you took the picture. Also in there is information that software can use to rotate the picture so it "looks" correct.

The fire responder web stuff I'm doing has the ability to post picture taken and sent to there server so that responders can see them. In software, I extract the meta data and rotate the picture so it displays correctly.

The "upload photos" software for this site should be improved so it looks at the EXIF data in the .jpg and does the rotation so users can just submit what they have no matter what the orientation of the phone. Sometimes it takes a boatload of data and software to achieve that "It just works" moment. Perhaps this can be added to the site "To Do" list ?

Pete

·
Administrator
858 Posts
There is meta data inside of each .jpg for pictures taken on an iPhone. Unless you've disable location services for "camera", that data has the GPS location where you took the picture. Also in there is information that software can use to rotate the picture so it "looks" correct.

The fire responder web stuff I'm doing has the ability to post picture taken and sent to there server so that responders can see them. In software, I extract the meta data and rotate the picture so it displays correctly.

The "upload photos" software for this site should be improved so it looks at the EXIF data in the .jpg and does the rotation so users can just submit what they have no matter what the orientation of the phone. Sometimes it takes a boatload of data and software to achieve that "It just works" moment. Perhaps this can be added to the site "To Do" list ?

Pete
It's not just this forum, it's all forums. None of the major softwares has the capacity to auto rotate at the time of this posting. One comes close but the mod that does it gives you a 50/50 chance of it working, or wiping out your entire picture database. In short, it's on the to do list but not high in the grand scheme of things.

Kyle

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,674 Posts

You just need to buy the left hand version of the phone...:laugh:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
It's not just this forum, it's all forums. None of the major softwares has the capacity to auto rotate at the time of this posting. One comes close but the mod that does it gives you a 50/50 chance of it working, or wiping out your entire picture database. In short, it's on the to do list but not high in the grand scheme of things.

Kyle
Good to know it's on the list. It's tricky... and to make things worse, the data is different and has to be looked at differently if the mobile device OS is IOS or Android. The system I did has submissions via email, and in that program the picture is saved to a temp file, corrected, and then gets parked at the final resting spot. This intermediary step also lets me re-size if the user posted too big of an image. It's non-trivial making things "just work" :laugh:

Pete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts