Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
I will play armchair failure mode dectective.

As evidenced by the condition of the metal the crack form in the corner of the knotch in the frame. Likely due to stress risers caused by a poor chamfer in the corner. The mushroomed metal near that corner shows the crack was there for a long time allowi g the frame to flex there and distort the metal.

Finally after many hundreds of thousands of flexing cycles the rest of the frame got brittle from work hardening. The initial crack finally propigated thru the entire frame in a sudden and quick failure. As evidenced by the sharp fracture edge with light colored corrosion.

If a weld repair to the frame is planned you will either need to stress releive and retemper the effected zone around the crack. Alternately you will need to put a splice across the crack the is welded out side of the work-hardened brittle area.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts

As evidenced by the condition of the metal the crack form in the corner of the knotch in the frame. Likely due to stress risers caused by a poor chamfer in the corner. The mushroomed metal near that corner shows the crack was there for a long time allowi g the frame to flex there and distort the metal.

Finally after many hundreds of thousands of flexing cycles the rest of the frame got brittle from work hardening. The initial crack finally propigated thru the entire frame in a sudden and quick failure. As evidenced by the sharp fracture edge with light colored corrosion.

If a weld repair to the frame is planned you will either need to stress releive and retemper the effected zone around the crack. Alternately you will need to put a splice across the crack the is welded out side of the work-hardened brittle area.
Perfect!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

We jacked and tacked the frame. Cut out a fish plate and welded it in. Outta work ok and no worry about the HAZ line.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Yike! How many hours on that baby? My '04 GX335 will turn 1K hours doing leaves this Fall and doesn't creak or groan yet.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
amazing how some folks don't see the obvious
You got that right! I see some units of various years/models that are spotless, never sat out, well maintained. I see WAY more that are trashed out by the 100hr mark. Then the customer gets pizzed when we give the repair quote! Can't win some days.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
My 1969 MF135 Orchard had 11,000+ hours on it when I sold it for $3500 after buying my 2017 4044M. Pretty much only did oil changes, tune ups and a alternator the time I owned it for a unknown amount of years? I expect my 4044M to treat me as well being I am the only owner. Never split the MF135 or had to get into the Perkins 3 cylinder gas engine it was a great used tractor built like a tank. She was showing her age and had a rear main seal oil leak but it could still lift a 1100 lb bail of hay and plow lots of snow. I think I had it like 13 plus years nothing to date it with by hand? It helped build my Water tender around 11 years ago.
http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/carltoncomplexfire/large/FRAME%20FLIP2.JPG
I put a Ford Loader on it which could pick up a heavy load no problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts