Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up yesterday for my wife to help out in the garden and yard (and for me to play with).

Haven't found any issues, but it is in sore need of fluids and filters. The air filter was manufactured in 1996, so....

Have ordered an air filter, oil filter, and complete fuel bowl assembly with filter. I think there is some type of cartridge filter on top of the hydraulic pump. I need to crack it open and see what's in there. Probably order an owner and service manual this weekend. The Massey Ferguson website has exploded parts breakdowns with part numbers.

I'm thinking to drain the radiator and fuel in addition to a full maintenance job. Anything else I should consider doing at this point?

My plan is to service it, and wait to see if anything breaks before I tear into any of the mechanicals. Probably slowly work on some cosmetics here and there. I think Carlisle makes an ag style tire that fits the turf wheels, so I'm thinking about swapping those out soon as well and getting some weights for the front. It'll be a wheelie machine with a few hundred pounds on the back.

Any insight or suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,094 Posts
Nice.

Keep us updated as you go through your new toy.

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
IIRC, the tractor is basically a Yanmar?
I think those were built by Shibaura (SP). My brother has a 2WD 1210 with a loader that he bought used and it has worked well for many years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's a real nice tractor! I think you have a great plan. Make sure the basic service is all updated and then drive it for awhile. You will become aware of more work needed on it as you get to know it!! I grew up driving a smaller Ford tractor in NE.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
Perhaps the earlier models (1970s) were Yanmar. Been ages since I saw one up close.
I don't think Ford ever had a relationship with Yanmar. The old N-series, 600, 700, 800 and 900 series were all made by Ford. Later when the SCUT/CUT tractors came along they started out with the model 1000 and went clear up to the 2120 and they were all manufactured by Shibaura with Ford listed as the distributor. Starting with the 2310 the tractors are listed as manufactured by Ford with Ford engines and stay that way up through the 9000-series.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll for sure update the thread as I work through it. They were built by Shibaura for Ford. Has a made in Japan label on it.

Wife loves it so far. She took it around the yard a few times with a big smile on her face. That's worth the $ by itself.

The left front tire has about two inches of turn play in it before it engages the steering. Not sure what the culprit is yet. That'll probably occupy me for a while until the filters get here.

Tires are holding air though they appear very dry rotted. Smokes a bit when it's running but that seems common for the model. Hopefully the new air filter will help out some.

I realized I miss geared tractors. I grew up running one. I wouldn't change the hydrostat on the 3038, but I guess each transmission has its place.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't think Ford ever had a relationship with Yanmar. The old N-series, 600, 700, 800 and 900 series were all made by Ford. Later when the SCUT/CUT tractors came along they started out with the model 1000 and went clear up to the 2120 and they were all manufactured by Shibaura with Ford listed as the distributor. Starting with the 2310 the tractors are listed as manufactured by Ford with Ford engines and stay that way up through the 9000-series.
I was thinking of the model 1000 and I stand corrected. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Picked this up yesterday for my wife to help out in the garden and yard (and for me to play with).

Haven't found any issues, but it is in sore need of fluids and filters. The air filter was manufactured in 1996, so....

Have ordered an air filter, oil filter, and complete fuel bowl assembly with filter. I think there is some type of cartridge filter on top of the hydraulic pump. I need to crack it open and see what's in there. Probably order an owner and service manual this weekend. The Massey Ferguson website has exploded parts breakdowns with part numbers.

I'm thinking to drain the radiator and fuel in addition to a full maintenance job. Anything else I should consider doing at this point?

My plan is to service it, and wait to see if anything breaks before I tear into any of the mechanicals. Probably slowly work on some cosmetics here and there. I think Carlisle makes an ag style tire that fits the turf wheels, so I'm thinking about swapping those out soon as well and getting some weights for the front. It'll be a wheelie machine with a few hundred pounds on the back.

Any insight or suggestions are appreciated.

If taken care of those little guys are almost bullet proof.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got fresh fuel in, tightened up loose steering linkage, and spent about two hours scraping gunk.

Wire brushed and lubed all the ball ends and top link threads on the 3 point. Got some grease in a few fittings but need to replace a couple of boots.

Should be able to get the oil, fuel filter and air filter swapped out this week.

Test pulled the middle buster, it did a whole lot better than I thought traction wise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Changed out the air filter and picked up some oil. Hopefully can get everything but the transmission fluid changed this weekend. Put some fuel treatment with injector cleaner in too. Not expecting much but hopefully a little benefit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That looks like a nice little tractor. It looks like you’re on the right track with your maintenance. In your last picture I see you have the dreaded clamp on battery terminal. I would either change out the cable or get a new terminal crimped on there. Those things have caused me much aggravation over the years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks like a nice little tractor. It looks like you’re on the right track with your maintenance. In your last picture I see you have the dreaded clamp on battery terminal. I would either change out the cable or get a new terminal crimped on there. Those things have caused me much aggravation over the years.
Thanks, I didn't even notice that. I'll add it to the list. Changed oil yesterday, went with Rotella T4 15w40. Also replaced the fuel filter, sediment bowl, and o-rings.

May try to flush the radiator today. Also think I need to fiddle with the steering a little more. The right front wants to dig a little when turning left.

TSC has hydraulic fluid that meets spec, but I have found 0 info on the filter for the manual trans model. The hydrostat has a suction screen and spin on filter, which is easy to find. This one has an element inside the pump housing.

Also got an operator's manual. Apparently a few things changed over the years it was produced, but they maintained one version of the owners manual. The oil pan drain was in a different location and the fuel injector air bleed was a nut, rather than a screw as illustrated in the manual.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question....the rear tires are 29x12-15. I shouldn't have any problem with a 29x12.5-15 fitting the rim right? Looking to put on an ag style tire without swapping wheels.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I thought that was a Japo made Furd.

When I was a kid I could never figure out why Ford sold both the 3415 (Japanese machine) and the 3930 (English made tractor)

Anyway nice tractor OP. The old Ford were good machines even though I know little about the Japanese machines.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you. I didnt realize it was Japan made until I researched the model prior to purchase. Doesn't hurt my feeling a bit though. Other than everything being metric anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found a perfect job for it today. Could only put 40 gallons in though, got really light up front.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rigged up 50ish lbs of front weight and filled the rear tires. Also designed and installed a highly engineered parking brake extension lever The original is an ergonomic disaster unless you have two right feet or orangutan arms.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts