Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one has an opinion on the ford flail mowers? Got the trailer fixed this weekend, if it is still available next weekend I might go get it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your 1023 3pt is rated to lift 681lbs , so you should be good there. I've ran a 4' tiller with a MF 1 series equivalent without running out of power so I'd imagine you will have enough power to run it. If you can get a good deal it's definitely worth trying out.

·
Registered
23,275 Posts
I think it is too much for a 1 series.

First of all is the weight - yeah, according to the specs the 1 series will lift it. But if you have anything other than totally flat land that mower will pull the tractor around on any hills. You would also need a good amount of front ballast on the tractor.

It's an old mower which doesn't show the horse power needed to run. I looked up a Deere 5' flail mower (model 360) and shows a tractor HP minimum requirement of 30HP.

And one more point - on a 1 series you are sitting quite low to the ground in the seat. I wouldn't want to be that close to a running mower like that.

I think it would be a frustrating deal.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Do you have a loader? Didn't see it in your signature. You would pretty much need it as front ballast. A member recently took his loader off before the ballast box and the front end got tipsy. Your issue would be picking up the mower and transporting it without front weight. The mower would also have the weight to move your tractor around and could be a safety factor on slopes especially if you offset the mower. Could the 1023 run it? Probably but it would be close and really depends on the height of the grass.

·
Registered
291 Posts
DOes the 1023 have a limited cat 1 hitch? If so it may not have the lift height required for a full cat one implement like that.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Is this a 5 foot 907 flail.

This site below says it weighs 567 pounds. ..think a 1 series could run it.

Ford 907 Flail Mower - dealer ad brochure
Like others have said you need to find out the PTO HP to run the thing. I was looking at Woodmaxx.com today at their flail mowers and the smallest is a 54inch and it weighs 590lbs and requires 25-45 PTO HP to run it. So I am thinking this attachment might be too big for a SCUT. A 2032R is probably the minimum size tractor to run this beast.

Anyone have an opinion on how flail mowers cut compared to 3 pt finish mower or MMM?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I didn't think you have the power to use a Flail mower. You need 30hp or higher at the PTO. I think you have 18hp at your PTO.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Like others have said you need to find out the PTO HP to run the thing. I was looking at Woodmaxx.com today at their flail mowers and the smallest is a 54inch and it weighs 590lbs and requires 25-45 PTO HP to run it. So I am thinking this attachment might be too big for a SCUT. A 2032R is probably the minimum size tractor to run this beast.

Anyone have an opinion on how flail mowers cut compared to 3 pt finish mower or MMM?
A flail mower is more in line with a brush hog type mower not a finish mower as far as cut I believe.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,279 Posts
Is this a 5 foot 907 flail.

This site below says it weighs 567 pounds. ..think a 1 series could run it.

Ford 907 Flail Mower - dealer ad brochure
Contrary to what everyone is saying let me add to your dilemma. When I bought my 2210, which is about the same as your 1023, I bought a 5' tiller. This tiller weights 564.37 pounds. I used it for 10 years with my 2210 and didn't have a problem. I now use this same tiller with my 1026...and still no problems. With a flail mower you are mowing grass/weeds. With my tiller I'm going into the ground against rocks and whatever at about 6 to 8 inches deep. To my way of thinking my tiller is harder on my tractor then a flair mower ever thought of being. Will you have to have weights on the front...yes. I use 5 but 6 or more is better as 5 will let the front end rise a tad going up hill, never off the ground. On flat it's good. Going down hill, it's good. I'm going to add more weight to my front end the next time I use the tiller and see how that works. Bottom line...if you're getting a good deal I'd go for it. What difference can less then 3 lbs. make? And add to that, when I'm done tilling I've got about another 20/30 lbs. of dirt hanging on the tiller. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
579 Posts
A "good deal" on a flail mower can quickly turn into a bad investment. Years ago I found a cat 0 540 rpm Mott flail mower on Craigslist for 250. I had to replace all of the pins, keepers, and knives because after sharpening the get too short to overlap and leave a poor cut. It was a couple hundred bucks. At that time I had a 425 lawn tractor, which had no trouble lifting the mower, but wouldn't turn very well with the mower lowered due to having to "scrub" the full with roller that is carrying the heavy implement way back from the rear axle. I then tried it on tall grass with some brush mixed in. Another couple hundred dollar lesson, because as one set of blades is folding back from impact, the next set of knives will smash into the back of them, now four knives are toast. Repeat that at 2000 rpm every time a little bump is felt. The 1026R did handle the weight better, but the mower still wasn't very efficient. I was able to sell it for $200 after being advertised for six months. Now, I just use the mid mower deck for tall grass. A set of blades for it is only like 50 bucks.

I think your best bet is to hold out for a 42" or 48" "brush hog" type rotary mower.

·
Administrator
18,497 Posts
A flail mower is more in line with a brush hog type mower not a finish mower as far as cut I believe.
That depends on the blades, they can be setup to make a nice cut! But for the most part you are 100% correct.

The small Caroni's have a great reputation (hopefully this search link will work): Search Results | Agri Supply®

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
389 Posts
That depends on the blades, they can be setup to make a nice cut! But for the most part you are 100% correct.

The small Caroni's have a great reputation (hopefully this search link will work): Search Results | Agri Supply®
Not only the blades, at least with Alamo the fine cut has a different main rotor with twice as many and different attachment points for the blades.

I can not really see a flail mower for the terrain I have with some amount of float in the lift arms. They follow the ground well due to the full width roller across the back. I suspect that Ford mower is for something larger than a 1 series. The part about being too close to possible flying debris should be considered.

A flail mower will tangle up with stray wire and other "litter" instead of sling pieces other types would be more prone to. May be frustrating but in the long term is an advantage.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys you have given me a lot to think about. I knew I would be pushing the PTO HP requirements. I run a 5 foot brush hog ok, but i think a 5 foot flail would require more. I don't really need a flail mower, it would be a toy ...probably would just use it to trim the clover food plots on relatively flat ground.

For the person that asked yes I do have the loader.

·
Administrator
20,976 Posts
If the tractor can handle the weight safely, you can always "take a smaller bite" or go slower. :good2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts