1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
837 Posts
I thought they had since the late 80s or early 90s.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ford does not "own" Cummins. At one time, around 1990, Ford Motor Company did own stock in Cummins...around 10% of the company, I think. So, it is true that at one time Ford owned a 10% (approximately) stake in Cummins. But Ford has since sold that stock off, and no longer holds a stake in Cummins.

I think Ford does still own something like 30% of Isuzu, though...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
did you guys not click on the link? ford wishes they did in the link cummins sets the record straight on the matter...............................

here it is again

http://www.dieselhub.com/news/ford-owns-cummins.html

click this

cummins says in the first sentence ford does not own or has not ever owned cummins

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's one of the press releases in 1997 when Cummins bought the stock back from Ford. Not sure why this still lingers some twenty years later.

CUMMINS ENGINE BUYS BACK 1.3 MILLION SHARES FROM FORD - The New York Times

thank you dont know why on earth people still think this is true buying 10% of the stock in the company dosent mean you own them

i like how your artical reads after cummins bought the shares back from ford cummins stock (at the time) went from 1.46$ to 46$ a share lol:laugh:

·
Registered
837 Posts
did you guys not click on the link? ford wishes they did in the link cummins sets the record straight on the matter...............................

here it is again

Does Ford Own Cummins?

click this

cummins says in the first sentence ford does not own or has not ever owned cummins
I didn't even realize there was a link in the first post.:dunno: my mistake. And now I know!

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
thank you dont know why on earth people still think this is true buying 10% of the stock in the company dosent mean you own them

i like how your artical reads after cummins bought the shares back from ford cummins stock (at the time) went from 1.46$ to 46$ a share lol:laugh:
Cummins Engine rose $1.25, to $46.
It went from $44.75 to $46.00 according to the article.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Ford does not "own" Cummins. At one time, around 1990, Ford Motor Company did own stock in Cummins...around 10% of the company, I think. So, it is true that at one time Ford owned a 10% (approximately) stake in Cummins. But Ford has since sold that stock off, and no longer holds a stake in Cummins.

GM is the one with ties to Isuzu. GM and Isuzu developed the Duramax engines in 2001, prior to that GM used Detroit Diesel for it's 6.2 and 6.5 diesels (I believe GM bought Detroit Diesel for this purpose). I believe GM and Isuzu have gone their separate ways on that engine development program from what I understand but I think they still have a strategic partnership with medium duty and higher trucks. Ford used to use diesels from International (6.9 & 7.3) until the 6.0 came out and it had issues and everyone soured on each other and Ford went in-house for the 6.4 and 6.7.

At one point the big three outsourced all of their diesel engines. GM used Detroit Diesel, Ford used International, and Dodge has always used Cummins. Only Dodge (RAM) still outsources with Cummins. It is a great engine so why change? I can see why GM and Ford changed their business plan for diesels. The 6.5 TD simply didn't make enough power and Ford had a lot of issues with the 6.0 from what I have read.

Until this thread, I had never read where Ford "owned" Cummins but I am not a big follower of Cummins or Ford. I place that myth up there with the "3/4 race cam".

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
GM is the one with ties to Isuzu. GM and Isuzu developed the Duramax engines in 2001, prior to that GM used Detroit Diesel for it's 6.2 and 6.5 diesels (I believe GM bought Detroit Diesel for this purpose). I believe GM and Isuzu have gone their separate ways on that engine development program from what I understand but I think they still have a strategic partnership with medium duty and higher trucks. Ford used to use diesels from International (6.9 & 7.3) until the 6.0 came out and it had issues and everyone soured on each other and Ford went in-house for the 6.4 and 6.7.

At one point the big three outsourced all of their diesel engines. GM used Detroit Diesel, Ford used International, and Dodge has always used Cummins. Only Dodge (RAM) still outsources with Cummins. It is a great engine so why change? I can see why GM and Ford changed their business plan for diesels. The 6.5 TD simply didn't make enough power and Ford had a lot of issues with the 6.0 from what I have read.

Until this thread, I had never read where Ford "owned" Cummins but I am not a big follower of Cummins or Ford. I place that myth up there with the "3/4 race cam".
The 6.4 was actually still a Navistar product. I owned one for 5 years and actually liked that powerplant but didn't put enough miles on it to bring out its notorious issues.
Just truck shopped with girlfriend and we did drive one of the new high output Cummins. Sounded pretty bad a$$, didn't feel that impressive. My point of reference was my 13 Ford 6.7. Owned it four years, zero issues, never back to dealer.
Ended up selling gf my 13 and buying a 17 Superduty.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There are so many misconceptions, it's hard to keep them straight:knownothing:.

I am on a Dodge forum and people who have never owned a Ford go on and on about problems and stuff that, well, never existed. And having owned 9 SuoerDutys in every engine SD configuration since 1999, including four 6.7s, I initially tried to correct but then gave up. I am also on a Ford forum and they go on and on about how bad Ram is. Then I bought a Ram. No better, no worse. Just different. But the misconceptions are still there. You know, because Billy Bob's cousin's sister's uncle's neighbor's dog heard about a thingy that broke on a something in that one place 14 states west of here over 87 years ago....

·
Registered
371 Posts

Mazda, not Isuzu.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
here is a link i found on it Ford sells 20% stake in Mazda for $538 million; keeps 13% - ABC News
this was back in 2008 you know when the bail outs all happend.

as far as that goes GM paid off their loan early in full with interest. so it was a smart move on the government + plus all the tax income from all the sales,money from the workers and familys ect that the government kept up. would have been a bad move if they didnt give them a loan so it was and still is a money maker for the government and our tax dollars well spent.:gizmo:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mazda, not Isuzu.
Yes...Mazda, not Isuzu. I stand corrected. And I don't know if Ford still owns a stake in Mazda or not.

Take a look at the 1990 era Ford Rangers, and the Mazda B-series compact pickups. Essentially the same vehicle...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts