Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so we are having a nice snow storm in NY, I got up at midnight and plowed the driveway with my F-250, got up at 4am and blew the driveway with the JD. So the storm finally is winding down and had another 8 or so inches of snow so decided to use the 250 again, walk over to clean the snow off and I don't have to clean any off either of the windows. seems ford has this nice feature on the newer FOB's :bigthumb:

To Open Windows:
Unlock Vehicle.
Press and Hold the Unlock Button for 3 Seconds.
You can Stop the Windows Going Down at Any Point By Pressing the Lock or Unlock Button Once.

best I can figure when I was shoveling it got squeezed in my pants pocket. So now I'm worried that all that water that melted in the door and handle will freeze tonight:banghead:

Ya got to love these new fangled gadgets.:hide:

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
so we are having a nice snow storm in NY, I got up at midnight and plowed the driveway with my F-250, got up at 4am and blew the driveway with the JD. So the storm finally is winding down and had another 8 or so inches of snow so decided to use the 250 again, walk over to clean the snow off and I don't have to clean any off either of the windows. seems ford has this nice feature on the newer FOB's :bigthumb:

To Open Windows:
Unlock Vehicle.
Press and Hold the Unlock Button for 3 Seconds.
You can Stop the Windows Going Down at Any Point By Pressing the Lock or Unlock Button Once.

best I can figure when I was shoveling it got squeezed in my pants pocket. So now I'm worried that all that water that melted in the door and handle will freeze tonight:banghead:

Ya got to love these new fangled gadgets.:hide:
I feel for you. That’s just awful to have happen.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I knew about that one but haven't had any incidents with it yet.
Lot of guys on the truck forums that have remote tailgates have had problems with the gate dropping from the "but dial" effect.
Also some report the "but dial" is unlocking their doors and shutting off the alarm when they think their truck is put away safely for the night.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ram had this remote window control just like this for a while. My 2010 Ram 1500 had it. But my 2017 does not. No idea why. It's not a matter of options since this new truck is more loaded and that feature was never called out on the sticker on the 2010.

It was useful in the summer to roll the windows down and get some air moving as you walked out to the parking lot in the blazing sun.

Rob

·
Premium Member
11,023 Posts
You just gave me a flashback to the ^#[email protected]*% remote on my Toyota Highlander. The darn near-flush "panic button" that is A-L-W-A-Y-S somehow getting depressed while in my pocket sending the horn into a frenzy. I've been tempted to glue the button so it can't press but I'm afraid the horn will somehow get triggered and then I'll have no way to shut it off.

What a worthless feature. Any time it gets pressed in public what you DON'T see are folks running to assist you with your emergency. What you DO see are ugly glaring looks from everyone within ear shot seeming to suggest where they would like to see you stick the remote!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've spent part of the day looking at forscan, they show an option to turn it on, so far none to turn it off. bummer, I'm on a roll, went down to get an inspection sticker and my tps said one tire was low, pumped it up, waiting until morning to see if it really is leaking air or just the -11f from last night.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You just gave me a flashback to the ^#[email protected]*% remote on my Toyota Highlander. The darn near-flush "panic button" that is A-L-W-A-Y-S somehow getting depressed while in my pocket sending the horn into a frenzy. I've been tempted to glue the button so it can't press but I'm afraid the horn will somehow get triggered and then I'll have no way to shut it off.

What a worthless feature. Any time it gets pressed in public what you DON'T see are folks running to assist you with your emergency. What you DO see are ugly glaring looks from everyone within ear shot seeming to suggest where they would like to see you stick the remote!
Our 2001 S10 4x4 4 dr had the same issue until I opened the remote and put a piece of Scotch tape over those contacts. I've never used, or would remember to use that anyway.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I think it depends on the trim level. I haven’t been able to operate the windows with the key fob on my 16 xlt 250. It would be nice to close the windows with putting the key in the truck. I often park the truck and walk away from with the windows down in warm weather. I actually would prefer to have crank up windows.

There’s a lot of electrical stuff on my xlt that I don’t need or even know how to use. I can’t imagine trying to figure all the stuff out on the highest trim level. I’m thinking my next truck will be an xl / set.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I am glad I have an 18 year old truck because of all of the horror stories about newer vehicles.
At last years family Thanksgiving get together, several family members told stories about problems they had with their keyless vehicles.

One had laid their key fob on a counter beside the car when they got home. The next morning they were in a hurry & did not pickup the fob. The fob was close enough to the car allowing it to start. They drove about 15 miles to work, shut off the car & locked it only to find out after work that they did not have the fob.

A brother & his wife went shopping. The wife had the fob in her purse. The wife was dropped off at a store, my brother drove a few miles away to another store. Same deal, he found out he did not have the fob when he went to leave.

There were several other stories, but these were the worst.

My wife & I always carry a spare set of keys on us when we travel. I have done this since I first started to drive.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I've opened the windows on my 350's before by pocket pressing buttons, never figured out how I did it. I did find a place in settings on the dash display to turn on/off remote windows. I turned them off since I had no idea how or what button sequence to activate them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it depends on the trim level. I haven’t been able to operate the windows with the key fob on my 16 xlt 250. It would be nice to close the windows with putting the key in the truck. I often park the truck and walk away from with the windows down in warm weather. I actually would prefer to have crank up windows.

There’s a lot of electrical stuff on my xlt that I don’t need or even know how to use. I can’t imagine trying to figure all the stuff out on the highest trim level. I’m thinking my next truck will be an xl / set.:dunno:
my 16 doesn't have it, my 18 does, you have to have the key's that work like a switchblade I think, not sure what year they started with those, at least that was my take on what I read. still haven't found anything in the manual.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did find a place in settings on the dash display to turn on/off remote windows. I turned them off since I had no idea how or what button sequence to activate them.
you don't happen to remember where you went to deactivate, I've looked but haven't been able to find it yet.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
you don't happen to remember where you went to deactivate, I've looked but haven't been able to find it yet.
I'll check when I get home.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
my 16 doesn't have it, my 18 does, you have to have the key's that work like a switchblade I think, not sure what year they started with those, at least that was my take on what I read. still haven't found anything in the manual.
My 2013 lariat has this feature. No switch blade key

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I've spent part of the day looking at forscan, they show an option to turn it on, so far none to turn it off. bummer, I'm on a roll, went down to get an inspection sticker and my tps said one tire was low, pumped it up, waiting until morning to see if it really is leaking air or just the -11f from last night.
I am guessing the air temp has dropped the pressure in your tires. I have this happen quite frequently on my vehicles whenever we have wild temp swings, which this winter has been all too common. At least it hasn't been -11F, yikes!:greentractorride:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Another hidden feature that I don't think has been discussed here is high idle.
There is a harness in the passenger footwell that has PTO wire bundle in it.
A guy can add a resister to one of the wires and then, if you have them, route a wire to one of Ford's elegant upfitter switches.
The amount of resistance controls the elevated idle speed and there are even kits you can buy with a varistor so you can dial the rpm.
From what I understand even trucks without the PTO option will have the wire bundle.
Elevated idle is also factory provided automatically depending on temperatures and alternator loads etc.
Elevated idle is handy for rapid warm ups, jump starting other vehicles and increased AC cooling while stationary.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Another hidden feature that I don't think has been discussed here is high idle.
There is a harness in the passenger footwell that has PTO wire bundle in it.
A guy can add a resister to one of the wires and then, if you have them, route a wire to one of Ford's elegant upfitter switches.
The amount of resistance controls the elevated idle speed and there are even kits you can buy with a varistor so you can dial the rpm.
From what I understand even trucks without the PTO option will have the wire bundle.
Elevated idle is also factory provided automatically depending on temperatures and alternator loads etc.
Elevated idle is handy for rapid warm ups, jump starting other vehicles and increased AC cooling while stationary.
I would think a universal hand throttle cable would be less complicated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts