·
Administrator
18,464 Posts
If it sounds to good to be true...

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Seems hard to do to me. I can see a 30 MPH truck, but not 60. I also think there is a definition/rules problem here. A "King Ranch" F-150 is a fancy, big car that can carry stuff. You basic F-150 is a truck used for work, not driving to work. And putting an SUV for people on a truck chassis to get the "Truck" rules/ratings is a little cheezy too. Not sure how you determine what the "actual use" is, both at the manufacturing end and at the end user end.

I would imagine that far fewer people would be driving their V8 trucks to work when gas is $6 per gallon. As such, I'd focus the mileage requirements on passenger cars and let free market (cost of truck/cost of gas) drive the truck mileage requirements. If a Ford got 28 MPG and a Chevy got 18 MPG, the market will take it from there.

The new, complex engines talked about can't be cheap... (or even reasonably priced).

Pete

·
Premium Member
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think there is a bunch of smoke and mirrors and Popular Mechanics pie-in-the-sky predictions here in this article. Granted I'm not an automotive power plant engineer; but there comes a point where getting more blood out of the internal combustion turnip is going to cease.

I think it's going to take a radically different approach to powering these pickups to even approach 30 - 35 MPG or the equivalent thereof. What that power-plant of the future will be is anyone's guess. I kept hoping that hydrogen and/or fuel cells would be the answer; but that seems to have dropped off the radar.

Aerodynamics is going to play a big role too; but once again streamlining a rolling brick won't be easy.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Interesting to look back at this post. The link to the article is dead but I'm guessing it was about then on the drawing board ecoboost engines.

They haven't gotten 60mpg but 30 is definitely on the radar.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hope you got $300K-$500K for the thing! Sounds like putting the F1 & E1 power/drive systems into a truck to get that MPG.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't know if they will ever get 60MPG pickups, but what I do know is, as we chase these pie-in-the-sky MPG numbers, you can kiss the days of going down to the parts store and buying a battery for $100, a re-manufactured starter for $120, or an alternator for $150. I have never been convinced that the methods and technology they are using to get higher MPG today outweighs the service costs you will incur to fix that vehicle tomorrow. Those who think the start/stop systems will not require more frequent battery and starter replacements are smoking something. And how about those vehicles that use the belt alternator/starter? You think you are going to replace that for $150? GM's list on the unit is $900 and it's a special order.

This all reminds me of the 'energy efficient' stuff we put in our homes these days. When we started to have a problem with our hot water heater I thought I could just go down to the local big box store and get one - I had walked by them many times, they were around $350. Well, come to find out our water heater was a 'power vent' unit that they didn't even stock. I called a few local plumbing supply stores, best price was - $1,200. I won't even tell you the quotes to actually have a plumber do the job.

My point being, all this stuff they are putting in the cars (and in the homes), may result in lower operating costs now, but when this stuff breaks, you may find overall operating costs are far worse than if you had the not-so-efficient model. Maybe that's a good case for leasing. OK, rant off.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
I don't know if they will ever get 60MPG pickups, but what I do know is, as we chase these pie-in-the-sky MPG numbers, you can kiss the days of going down to the parts store and buying a battery for $100, a re-manufactured starter for $120, or an alternator for $150. I have never been convinced that the methods and technology they are using to get higher MPG today outweighs the service costs you will incur to fix that vehicle tomorrow. Those who think the start/stop systems will not require more frequent battery and starter replacements are smoking something. And how about those vehicles that use the belt alternator/starter? You think you are going to replace that for $150? GM's list on the unit is $900 and it's a special order.

This all reminds me of the 'energy efficient' stuff we put in our homes these days. When we started to have a problem with our hot water heater I thought I could just go down to the local big box store and get one - I had walked by them many times, they were around $350. Well, come to find out our water heater was a 'power vent' unit that they didn't even stock. I called a few local plumbing supply stores, best price was - $1,200. I won't even tell you the quotes to actually have a plumber do the job.

My point being, all this stuff they are putting in the cars (and in the homes), may result in lower operating costs now, but when this stuff breaks, you may find overall operating costs are far worse than if you had the not-so-efficient model. Maybe that's a good case for leasing. OK, rant off.
Actually, I think you are dead correct in that we should look at the total cost over the time we will own something. Like the capitalist system or not, the pricing mechanism is the most efficient way ever discovered to allocate resources. The only time it falls down is when people don't pay attention to the total cost.

Treefarmer

Reactions: mjncad and mark02tj

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
My 2020 ford is struggling to get 13 mpg. If mpg is important to you ,you probably shouldn’t buy a full size truck.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
My 2020 ford is struggling to get 13 mpg. If mpg is important to you ,you probably shouldn’t buy a full size truck. View attachment 748883
I drive a 2019 for work and pretty routinely get 20 mpg. It's a F150 4x4. Much of it is open road driving, frequently with an empty bed but sometimes with tires/pallets or other stuff loading the back down.

I had similar results when driving a Chevy 1500, maybe a little better but that one was 2wd.

When I drove a car for work, the Nissans would get 38-40 but with different work responsibilities the truck is a must now.

Treefarmer

Reactions: mjncad

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The only time I let my truck use the start/stop deal is when I’m running low on gas and don’t want to stop lol. Otherwise I bypass it. Something just not right that it uses the starter that many times. I don’t want to say unnecessarily but it just seems like the def deal where you replace one wrong with another

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Interesting to look back at this post. The link to the article is dead but I'm guessing it was about then on the drawing board ecoboost engines.

They haven't gotten 60mpg but 30 is definitely on the radar.

Treefarmer
What so funny they have had the technology since the 1970's to get about 40 plus miles to the Gallon In 8 cylinder Pick Up trucks But they Have never Implemented it . My Last Nissan Titan Got 20MPG driving local & 22mpg Highway My Nissan Titan XD Gets about 14 Local & 18 On the Highway I would just be Happy with My Old Mileage (y)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I will always have need for a full size truck. Pulling a trailer with a tractor and implements or pulling a 21’ ski boat requires something other than a RAV4. I’ve been the F250 route and now back to a F150 for the last 7 years. I probably will look at a 250 again as I need a safer towing vehicle. Oh yea, whatever it is will be 4WD.

15 years ago I started driving a VW Diesel to commute to work. They got 50 MPG and I made my own biodiesel in the back yard. I went through two of those VWs with about 225,000 miles on each of them before I traded or sold back to VW.

I would love to see a two speed selective rear end in a truck so you could decide if your hauling or just commuting. I think that would make a difference in fuel economy. With as much technology as we have now, weight sensors and torque sensors should be installed to automatically select which speed in the differential is needed.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I'd be thrilled to get 19 - 20 mpg with mine. I bought a 2019 3.5 EB in Feb, and my average mpg is 17.2, mixed highway/local, and less than 2 hrs of that was towing a 6k dump trailer. I do have the auto S/S turned off, but I had hoped for a lot better than I'm getting. In fact, it's really no better than the 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3 that it replaced.
I drive with a very light foot, and except for that towing I mentoned, I drive either in Eco mode or Normal mode. No intentional "boost" driving. (well,, maybe once, just to check it out).

·
Registered
92 Posts
The only time I got 60 MPG I was driving this...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd be thrilled to get 19 - 20 mpg with mine. I bought a 2019 3.5 EB in Feb, and my average mpg is 17.2, mixed highway/local, and less than 2 hrs of that was towing a 6k dump trailer. I do have the auto S/S turned off, but I had hoped for a lot better than I'm getting. In fact, it's really no better than the 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3 that it replaced.
I drive with a very light foot, and except for that towing I mentoned, I drive either in Eco mode or Normal mode. No intentional "boost" driving. (well,, maybe once, just to check it out).
Ouch, that doesn’t sound right unless you are carrying a lot of weight in the truck. You are getting what my 2018 Raptor is getting (normally) and I’m pushing around those heavy 35 inch tires. The company I work for has several of the eco boost f150’s and what I’ve been told is they run just north of 20 mpg, unless they tow something or put a lot of weight in the truck. My boss said his goes down to about 9 mpg as soon as he starts towing. That’s about where I end up with the Raptor when I put it into sport mode or Baja mode and reintroduce my foot to the accelerator pedal. But it’s worth it for the smile it puts on my face!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think I can get 60 mpg out of my 2015 GMC Yukon . But it has to stay in the garage. The real world does strange things with factory numbers. Cost of a truck, is always more then they say. Mpg is always less then they say. Load the family with dog and all the must haves, now add a trailer. Your mileage may very in small print.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts