Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see you are re-designing the pallet fork. I bought your fork, frame and other items to go with the frame. I did not get the backrest for the frame. Do you have any plans to make your backrest wider, to cover more fork area from side to side? maybe edge to edge of the frame.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Not saying this inquiry will go unanswered, but your best bet to get Artillian's attention is to email him thru the link in his signature. I know from experience :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have the backrest and have never felt like it needed to be wider. You have to remember that making things bigger adds more weight which reduces the useful loading capability of the a 1 or 2 series loader, which is general what artillian designs his stuff for. I have forked 4x4 pallets that are 5-6 feet tall do not ever recalling wanting the fence any higher than it is. I agree though when you look at it, it does seem on the small side. However, it works pretty well. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
22,730 Posts
I have the backrest and have never felt like it needed to be wider. You have to remember that making things bigger adds more weight which reduces the useful loading capability of the a 1 or 2 series loader, which is general what artillian designs his stuff for. I have forked 4x4 pallets that are 5-6 feet tall do not ever recalling wanting the fence any higher than it is. I agree though when you look at it, it does seem on the small side. However, it works pretty well. :bigthumb:
I agree with this. You don't need the backrest to be as wide as the carriage. Even piling brush on the forks it is more than enough.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
I see you are re-designing the pallet fork. I bought your fork, frame and other items to go with the frame. I did not get the backrest for the frame. Do you have any plans to make your backrest wider, to cover more fork area from side to side? maybe edge to edge of the frame.
Many good points have been made so far, but here's the low down.

The new back rest will be the full width of the rails. This is the only way it will work on all of the different pallet fork frame designs. That new skid steer mount really screwed things up! :laugh: The good news is that we're also trying to get the cost down and also do away with the cleats that screw to the frame tubing. The new design should come out of the box and go straight onto the frame with no installation required. And again, lower cost!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The new back rest will be the full width of the rails. This is the only way it will work on all of the different pallet fork frame designs. That new skid steer mount really screwed things up! :laugh: The good news is that we're also trying to get the cost down and also do away with the cleats that screw to the frame tubing. The new design should come out of the box and go straight onto the frame with no installation required. And again, lower cost!
:yahoo: Thank you, Thank you! Let me know when it will be available.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With most of what has been said I would have to agree. However, I have had two logs fall from my forks when picking them up last fall, fall back towards me. Luckily I was able to stop them by grabbing them and letting them fall to the side (Diameter may be 6" or so). I normally try to not pile higher than my frame, but one log was just a bit higher than normal once I picked it up with the others. When I was lifting the load to place the logs into my dump bed the top log came back enough to slide over the frame. Had the bracket been on, it would have stopped it. Being full length, should a log try to fall back, there is no room to fall close to me or the tractor.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts

Do you have a ballpark estimate of the new backrest weight, cost and availability? I would sure like to get one!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a bump to this thread. Any updates?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing specific. It's being worked on, and the design keeps getting better and better in the process.
Thank you, can't wait for the new one.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Geeeez...... This is like waiting for you to release the grapple all over again!!! :laugh:
It's like watching grass grow in July. I want it and waiting is horrible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Artillian,
Any updates on the backrest? I'm waiting on this redesign to purchase the forks myself. After reading several reviews from users on this forum I decided the Artillians are the only way to go for me.

Take my money! :gizmo:

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Hi,

We're still working on some fixturing challenges.

But the new backrest should be easily shippable by ground and won't require any installation. You'd simply pull it out of the box and stick it on the fork frame. They won't be heavy (of course) and won't cost much to ship. If waiting for this to order a fork set, I would reconsider. The fork sets already have almost two feet of built in backing by design and can be used as-is for most needs.

Also, when we do get them finished, we'll be having a promotion on the shipping of them for those who have been waiting.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Artillian,
Any updates on the backrest? I'm waiting on this redesign to purchase the forks myself. After reading several reviews from users on this forum I decided the Artillians are the only way to go for me.

Take my money! :gizmo:
Yep no need to wait. They are usable right out of the box, or should I say crate. Chris said the new backrest would mount to the existing frame.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pulled the trigger

Thanks Chris, pulled the trigger and just ordered. I do want the back rest in the future, mostly just for when i use the forks to pick up large brush piles etc.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
These should be going out for finishing next week and will be back up on the site next week as well. We'll have more information then, such as cost.

Pretty slick! They slide on and drop in, then install two snap pins (safety pins). It's a 20 second exercise. And of course, high strength steel.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Looks fantastic, you really minimized materials with this design. When you say high strength steel what do you mean? Is it made of HSLA steel or 4140 or something? If the price is reasonable I'm going to snap one of these right up, elegance and function combined, nice job.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts