Green Tractor Talk banner

Please select your tractor and fork combination

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those with a set of forks, or thinking about getting a set of forks (no brand in particular), what length of fork tines are/would be your preference?

This is not a marketing survey but rather will hopefully become a source to help future pallet fork owners make choices.

Please also feel free to reply with the kinds of uses you have/imagine having for loader forks.

·
Administrator
20,285 Posts
For me 42" makes the most sense. Pallet work is a cinch without worries of breaking or losing a pallet. :good2: I also do a bit of "crane work" with my loader, so fork length makes no difference there.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I like longer forks (I have 48"), mainly so I can see the tips better from the seat.

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I like longer forks (I have 48"), mainly so I can see the tips better from the seat.
Hi Arlen,

I think I was subconsciously thinking of you when I added the larger tractor/longer forks selection. :laugh:

Also, since most larger tractor fork sets have 42 or 48" forks and not as much of a challenge with lift capacity, it didn't seem necessary to differentiate in the poll.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Really interested to see the results. I am looking to get a set in the near future may change my mind on length. I am thinking 36" but will wait and see. The hard part of the poll is that I want two length sets after seeing all the digging going on with the 24".

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My forks were custom built and I supplyed the forks, they are 36". I been looking for some 42 or 48" forks to put on the carrier..

·
Registered
155 Posts
The hard part of the poll is that I want two length sets after seeing all the digging going on with the 24".
That was me when I was trying to decide. So, I got both the 42" and the 24". Partly because shipping to Alaska is such a pain. I got what I wanted in one order. I love em!! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
640 Posts
That was me when I was trying to decide. So, I got both the 42" and the 24". Partly because shipping to Alaska is such a pain. I got what I wanted in one order. I love em!! :thumbup1gif:
Think you are right, Christmas is going to get a little more expensive! :laugh:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got 24" to start with because I had a specific application for them in mind - trench digging and root pulling. I will, however, probably end up also with a set of 42" for max lifting flexibility and stability.

·
Administrator
20,285 Posts
Added the Large Frame Compact Tractor options as per OP's request.:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,285 Posts
Some members may need to replace their vote due to the options being changed. Sorry 'bout that.:hi:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Some members may need to replace their vote due to the options being changed. Sorry 'bout that.:hi:
I can't recast my vote...I've been silenced. Another case of "the man" keeping me down.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,689 Posts
We have both the 24" and 42" if I had to pick one it would be the 42" hands down. Bought the 24" for a specific job and it worked out well.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,689 Posts
Artillian, I see you did not vote. Which do you prefer, picking only one length?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I also have both the 24's & the 42's. The long ones are on there mostly, the short ones are awesome for rocking, rooting and ripping a trench.

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Artillian, I see you did not vote. Which do you prefer, picking only one length?
Thanks for asking Gizmo. I didn't want to contaminate the crime scene with my own opinions. But since you ask, I use the 24" most of the time and occasionally the 42's for bulk items or for an extended reach. If I were to pick one, it would be the 24's for the things that I do.

The 24's are also less of a hazard when trying to maneuver around buildings and all of the other 'stuff'. With the backhoe and the 42" forks on, the overall machine is almost 20' long. It's like being the captain of a ship.

For me, it's all about wringing as much effort out of the loader as I can for the times when I need it or, exerting as little strain as possible on the overall tractor for the longevity of the machine the rest of the time. :hi:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,689 Posts
Thanks for asking Gizmo. I didn't want to contaminate the crime scene with my own opinions. But since you ask, I use the 24" most of the time and occasionally the 42's for bulk items or for an extended reach. If I were to pick one, it would be the 24's for the things that I do.

The 24's are also less of a hazard when trying to maneuver around buildings and all of the other 'stuff'. With the backhoe and the 42" forks on, the overall machine is almost 20' long. It's like being the captain of a ship.

For me, it's all about wringing as much effort out of the loader as I can for the times when I need it or, exerting as little strain as possible on the overall tractor for the longevity of the machine the rest of the time. :hi:
I'm thinking it's more like you need more stuff to do with your tractor. Just Sayin!:mocking:

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
I selected SCUT with 42" but really they are 48". Everybody wants longer forks.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts