Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So thinking about getting some pallet forks in the near future. Fairly confident they are going to be a very useful attachment. I am going to end up likely going with Frontier ones as they seem to be more cost effective for me up here over the cost of buying and shipping Artilian forks up North. I was actually surprised of the cost of the ones from the dealer, much cheaper than I expected, so not sure if I should be worried or not. Not 100% sure which model they quoted me on, but will verify obviously before I do end up purchasing them.

Only question left is what length of fork? Seems like they are either 36" or 42".

Thanks,
Kevin.

·
Administrator
20,693 Posts
Kevin, we have beaten this topic up pretty bad, even lately. :lol:

There’s bunches and bunches of fork length threads to search through. :good2:

FWIW, I highly recommend the 42”s. They’re the perfect length for just about anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
42. A standard pallet is 40 wide and 48 long. 42 is just right to have good support under it.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I am going to end up likely going with Frontier ones as they seem to be more cost effective for me up here over the cost of buying and shipping Artilian forks up North.

Only question left is what length of fork? Seems like they are either 36" or 42".

Thanks,
Kevin.
Kevin..... I am currently running a set of Frontier AP12F with 48" forks on my 1025R, a hold over implement from when I had my 3520. They are a tad on the heavy side, but I wasn't going to spring for another set of forks when I already had a perfectly good set on hand.

I can still lift what I need to lift with the AP12F's. I will say however that having the 48" long forks has made the difference in lifting of not lifting some items. If I were to buy again..they would be 48" length. With the AP12F's you can order 42" or 48" forks.

And for us Canadians, ordering from the States is not a very cost effective option. You get hit with the dollar exchange and then absolutely over the top shipping charges. Buy local if you can.
Make Canada great again. lol. :laugh:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Kevin..... I am currently running a set of Frontier AP12F with 48" forks on my 1025R, a hold over implement from when I had my 3520. They are a tad on the heavy side, but I wasn't going to spring for another set of forks when I already had a perfectly good set on hand.

I can still lift what I need to lift with the AP12F's. I will say however that having the 48" long forks has made the difference in lifting of not lifting some items. If I were to buy again..they would be 48" length. With the AP12F's you can order 42" or 48" forks.

And for us Canadians, ordering from the States is not a very cost effective option. You get hit with the dollar exchange and then absolutely over the top shipping charges. Buy local if you can.
Make Canada great again. lol. :laugh:

Can't you buy stuff here, and just put it in the trunk (or wherever) and bring it across the border? Maybe order direct from Alibaba?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I have 24's and 42's. The 42's are a perfect length for most any task. I can't remember if I've even used the 24's...
Same here. I got the 24s because Chris of Artillian said that he liked digging with them. Having a BH, the need hasn't come up ... yet. So far, only time longer than 42s might be nice is when loading bunch of small, lightweight brush. I remember selecting 42s after reading that the tips were harder to see on the shorter ones.

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, and sorry to re-hash the old topic. I was thinking that the 42's would be better anyways so jut looking to make sure i was thinking along the same lines. Trying to still justify the purchase in my head and how often I will actually use them. I guess they will work better in most cases over using the FEL and some fancy chain rigging.

After talking with my dealer, turn out they aren't going to be the Frontier ones, but from of a locally sourced manufacturer. Not worried about them being sourced from a different vendor, they seem like they do good work and are well known...HLA Attachments.

Kevin.

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
After talking with my dealer, turn out they aren't going to be the Frontier ones, but from of a locally sourced manufacturer. Not worried about them being sourced from a different vendor, they seem like they do good work and are well known...HLA Attachments.

Kevin.
The HLA’s are a great choice, and I promise you’ll use them far more than you think you will. Forks are for much more than just pallets!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, and sorry to re-hash the old topic. I was thinking that the 42's would be better anyways so jut looking to make sure i was thinking along the same lines. Trying to still justify the purchase in my head and how often I will actually use them. I guess they will work better in most cases over using the FEL and some fancy chain rigging.

Kevin.

I stressed over the same thing when I bought my Artillian set. I leave the pallet forks on all the time and only swap the bucket on as an exception. I move brush, logs, I’m storing things on pallets now, etc....

I went with 42” and love it. I can see the fork tips from the seat and have gotten pretty good at maneuvering with them.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I got the Frontier wit 42". My old tractor had 36". I wish I had the 36". I am going to look into buying just the 36" forks. Then I will have both. You can not pick up a standard pallet from the side with 36" very well though. Standard fork lift forks are 42".

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would probably go with the JD Frontier with 42" forks if it was me. That is what I was looking for, but they are all so expensive. Artillian I think is outrageous in pricing. You can use their frame for other things, but if you are just looking for forks they are overprices. Attached is a spec sheet I put together a couple of months ago when I was looking. The JD Frontier with 42" forks seem to be about the best deal.

I ended up getting HLA 36" forks for $490 I think it was and guy even delivered them to my house.

Below is the chart sorted by weight. Highlighted are the ones I narrowed it down to that have no backframe and with backframe:

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 5.08.59 PM.png

1 - 13 of 13 Posts