Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted forks since the day I took delivery of my machine. In fact.. If I had it to do over again. I think I would have worked forks into my deal before a bucket!. Don't get me wrong. A bucket is essential and I use it lots. But there have been waaaayyyyy more times when I've had to use the bucket to move something that forks would have been the preferred implement to handle. I cut a lot of fire wood, and anyone who uses a woodstove in winter knows the importance of cutting wood to the right length so it fits in the stove. The effort required to section massive tree trunks to length before splitting without being able to elevate them is back breaking work. And having to cut a section again because you cut it to long is brutal!. That mistake usually happens toward the end of a cutting session when your arms and back have had enough of muscling around the wood and handling the chainsaw in a full bent over position. Not to mention the waste when it happens. I love it but its difficult and time consuming. Being able to simply jam the forks under and lift a log to standing height for cutting will be a real treat. Beyond that. There are countless uses for the forks. I haven't gotten a set simply because of the cost. I ain't spending $1000 on forks!. Artillian's are awesome but with the exchange and shipping they'd be $1200 to $1500cdn (according to the website anyway).. Forks from JD.. C'mon. Same thing. The price is just silly. I've been so close so many times to ordering clamp on forks. But I just know I'd be pissed that I didn't get the real thing. Lighting struck last week when I looked on Canada's version of craigslist (kijiji) and saw a set of used 42" HLA's (2000lbs capacity way over what the 1 series can lift) for sale for $400. I couldn't believe it. Figured they had to be damaged or the price was simply put in wrong. Called the store that had them and asked. Guy told me nope they're fine. Just took a machine in on trade with them and want them gone. So I said to the guy. Do I dare ask if he knows if they'd fit a JD 1 series tractor. I nearly passed out when he said. "Well, they just came off of the 1025R the guy traded in so yeah. They'll fit". I simply said. I'll be right there.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
"Rewards come to those who Wait" sounds like a great deal. I have titan 42" and use them more than the bucket. Enjoy :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
What a G R E A T find!! Congratulations!

I just used my forks on Saturday to load a chipper on to the trailer belonging to the guy that bought it from me! When I originally bought the chipper, I had to borrow a set of forks from a buddy of mine to unload it. You're going to find that the forks are on your tractor more than the bucket.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
:good2:Wow good buy. Yep agree it's hard to be with out forks, so many uses. Bought mine shortly after I bought my 790.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Forks

I bought cheap bolt on forks two years ago. Great addition to what I have. Great for loading/unloading trailers, and handling wood as already stated.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I've been so close so many times to ordering clamp on forks. But I just know I'd be pissed that I didn't get the real thing.
I replied already above, so forgive me for chiming in again... but I wanted to address your statement. I just finished unloading a new tractor-related-toy off the back of a semi. This thing weighed 1100 pounds. I had my ballast on on the back and took my time. I didn't feel tippy at all, but the tractor definitely knew that something was up there. There's no way I could have unloaded what I did with clamp-on forks!! Like you, I was tempted to order them, but, like you, I held out for the real thing. I'm sure glad I did!!

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
good score. I am thinking of buying a set of the Titan forks after reading some good reviews on here.:good2:
Pappa, Some will tell you Titans are junk, but maybe I got lucky, I just bought Titans a few weeks ago and I am pleased, very pleased.. 500 or so bucks for 42", Bought a work platform too, that will get a lot of use for sure..

Those forks look new with just a little rust on the forks themselves.. Good buy.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Did a drive thru at my JD dealer yesterday and they had 6 or so small HLA fork sets in their lot. The forks measured 3"...tag appeared to show $610/set.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great find, will have to keep a closer eye on Kijiji, conversion of the dollar is brutal, then shipping. Have wanted forks from day one but then there are a few accessories I have wanted. One piece at a time. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
8,817 Posts
Called the store that had them and asked. Guy told me nope they're fine. Just took a machine in on trade with them and want them gone. So I said to the guy. Do I dare ask if he knows if they'd fit a JD 1 series tractor. I nearly passed out when he said. "Well, they just came off of the 1025R the guy traded in so yeah. They'll fit". I simply said. I'll be right there.
Nice find and great price!:thumbup1gif:

Just curious, did the seller indicate "Why he wanted them gone?" The forks are such a popular implement that is seems that a dealer would easily find a buyer for them, just as they did in you, but he certainly could have gotten more $$$ for them. Maybe they had the trade in tractor sold and the buyer didn't want them? Just wondered if he indicated why he "wanted them gone". Good news for you was that he wanted them gone at a great price........

Now you can tell others that you are "Just out forkin around on your tractor" and you will be right........:lol::laugh:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Forks are about as useful to me as a bucket is. We get a lot of big branches, trees, brush fall along our tree line and I foind myself almost always going for the forks. I made a work platform for them which comes in handy if I have to sharpen a chain or a field repair. Great investment!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great find, will have to keep a closer eye on Kijiji, conversion of the dollar is brutal, then shipping. Have wanted forks from day one but then there are a few accessories I have wanted. One piece at a time. :bigthumb:
yep I hear ya' my fellow canuck.. whether its my tractor - atv - truck or just about anything else. Like many Canadians.. There's product after product on line that I want or need and 9 out of 10 are in the states.. Which of course makes sense. They have 320 million people to our 35 million so what market would you cater to if you had something to sell?!. haha!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice find and great price!:thumbup1gif:

Just curious, did the seller indicate "Why he wanted them gone?" The forks are such a popular implement that is seems that a dealer would easily find a buyer for them, just as they did in you, but he certainly could have gotten more $$$ for them. Maybe they had the trade in tractor sold and the buyer didn't want them? Just wondered if he indicated why he "wanted them gone". Good news for you was that he wanted them gone at a great price........

Now you can tell others that you are "Just out forkin around on your tractor" and you will be right........:lol::laugh:
hey sully. yes I did ask. Basically the guy said he realizes they are worth more but they are a high volume AG dealer and its spring now so its go time in the farm industry. No time to play around chasing a few dollars on a small set of forks.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've wanted forks since the day I took delivery of my machine. In fact.. If I had it to do over again. I think I would have worked forks into my deal before a bucket!. Don't get me wrong. A bucket is essential and I use it lots. But there have been waaaayyyyy more times when I've had to use the bucket to move something that forks would have been the preferred implement to handle. I cut a lot of fire wood, and anyone who uses a woodstove in winter knows the importance of cutting wood to the right length so it fits in the stove. The effort required to section massive tree trunks to length before splitting without being able to elevate them is back breaking work. And having to cut a section again because you cut it to long is brutal!. That mistake usually happens toward the end of a cutting session when your arms and back have had enough of muscling around the wood and handling the chainsaw in a full bent over position. Not to mention the waste when it happens. I love it but its difficult and time consuming. Being able to simply jam the forks under and lift a log to standing height for cutting will be a real treat. Beyond that. There are countless uses for the forks. I haven't gotten a set simply because of the cost. I ain't spending $1000 on forks!. Artillian's are awesome but with the exchange and shipping they'd be $1200 to $1500cdn (according to the website anyway).. Forks from JD.. C'mon. Same thing. The price is just silly. I've been so close so many times to ordering clamp on forks. But I just know I'd be pissed that I didn't get the real thing. Lighting struck last week when I looked on Canada's version of craigslist (kijiji) and saw a set of used 42" HLA's (2000lbs capacity way over what the 1 series can lift) for sale for $400. I couldn't believe it. Figured they had to be damaged or the price was simply put in wrong. Called the store that had them and asked. Guy told me nope they're fine. Just took a machine in on trade with them and want them gone. So I said to the guy. Do I dare ask if he knows if they'd fit a JD 1 series tractor. I nearly passed out when he said. "Well, they just came off of the 1025R the guy traded in so yeah. They'll fit". I simply said. I'll be right there.

You'll be using those more than you thought you would. Great buy.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Pappa, Some will tell you Titans are junk, but maybe I got lucky, I just bought Titans a few weeks ago and I am pleased, very pleased.. 500 or so bucks for 42", Bought a work platform too, that will get a lot of use for sure..

Those forks look new with just a little rust on the forks themselves.. Good buy.
I have Titan forks also and unload very heavy pallets off of semi trailers every other week and have had no problems at all. After the tractor itself, these were by far my best purchase. After discount $375 with 36" forks.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Good buy on the forks. I was always told that good things come to those who wait, I have never been good at it myself:lol:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Awesome deal! :bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb: I use the hell out of my forks. Wish I had this set up years ago, might have saved my back! Enjoy them.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts