Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am awaiting delivery of my very first GT, a new X738, any day, and was thinking about attachments I would find useful. Thinking I could get a lot of stuff done with pallet forks....but, can't seem to find much about if any are out there for the X738.Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?Thanks in advance.Mark

Reactions: jdforever

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Heavy-Hitch and the pallet forks from Heavy Hitch and find them to be very useful. You will need weights on the front of the X738 to balance the load on the forks also how much weight you can pick up is limited by the hydraulics. Heavy Hitch is a site sponsor and a link to their website is in the sponsor area. Good folks to deal with BTW.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well first you need to have an FEL. JD discontinued the 45 loader that fit the x700 series. You may be able to find a used 45 loader or there are some aftermarket FELs that would work.

After you get the fel than find the lightest weight forks you can afford. I’m not sure what the lift capacity of the x700 is but there are a lot of heavy forks out there that will severely limit there usefulness. Choose wisely grasshopper!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a Heavy-Hitch and the pallet forks from Heavy Hitch and find them to be very useful. You will need weights on the front of the X738 to balance the load on the forks also how much weight you can pick up is limited by the hydraulics. Heavy Hitch is a site sponsor and a link to their website is in the sponsor area. Good folks to deal with BTW.
Pretty sure you mean weights on the back.

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
Reactions: Sportshot2

·
Registered
420 Posts
Reactions: RonPol

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
You would need a hydraulic top link to keep the pallet level.
Even then, you may find the usefulness of 3PH forks very limited. Prior to having a loader, I initially had 3PH forks on my 2720, which of course is a much larger tractor with a 3PH that lifts way higher than a X700. Even with a hydraulic top-link the lift height was very limited. I couldn't even unload a pallet from my small 5x10 landscape trailer. I had to find a spot in the yard with a big "dip" and maneuver the trailer around until the rear of the bed came close to the ground. It was very disappointing and ended up being not all that useful.

So give very careful consideration to how you think you might use the forks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks JGAYMAN.

Excellent comment...thank you JGAYMAN. Perhaps I am better off trying to use the tractor shovel somehow to move some things around the yard.
Appreciate it.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
The 45 loader does not fit the current x700 series without cutting the frame to fit part of the subframe.

Reactions: Sportshot2

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
Excellent comment...thank you JGAYMAN. Perhaps I am better off trying to use the tractor shovel somehow to move some things around the yard.
Appreciate it.
You can get something like the Tractor Supply Carry All for significantly less money than the Heavy Hitch. The bottom arms on it will slip into most pallets so you can use it to pick up and move pallets around the yard if need be. Or you can do like many do and bolt some lumber to it and use it like a utility cart hanging off your 3pt hitch.

You aren't going to be lifting any pallets out of truck beds with a 3pt lift system but they can still be handy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deere Tractor Shovel Attachment

The 45 loader does not fit the current x700 series without cutting the frame to fit part of the subframe.

Actually I have the JD Shovel attachment for the 54” front blade. Bought it with my X738

1 - 12 of 12 Posts