Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my forks for xmas last year. I think I have actually used the forks 5 times and the receiver hitch once or twice.

In retrospect one of the $500 options probably would have been just fine for me.

Maybe in the future will get more use, this past year I have been doing a ton of landscaping/dirt work.

Even thought they are quick attach, still need to dig them out of the shed, not light enough just to pick up by hand when the forks are mounted on the frame etc... A dolly would help that situation though.

·
Premium Member
10,702 Posts
It varies for me. It really depends on the job. For a while I was using the forks weekly. Most recently it's been the bucket. For some lifting jobs with chains or straps the forks allow me to lift the load higher compared to the hooks on the bucket.

It definitely helps to have some type of dolly. I have one of the older style Artillian dollies and it makes rolling them around the garage a snap.

You can easily make something similar using some box channel and bolt-on casters.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I bought my forks for xmas last year. I think I have actually used the forks 5 times and the receiver hitch once or twice.
The same can be said about virtually any accessory,,, :dunno:

I have a grader box that was used to divert a wet weather spring more over the last three years than on a tractor,,

My flail mower gets max 8 hours use per year,,,

BUT,, if you did not have them when needed,, you may have an awful sore back,,,:flag_of_truce:

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
I use mine daily to weekly.

They are great for brush cleanup but typically if I can get it on a skid of MENARDS that’s what I do. If I am doing cement work and get bags have them put us get on with 15 more bags then I think I will need and no matter what I use I just load the skid back in and go back with the extras. Get my water softener salt on the skid, mulch and anything else I can.

Most of my attachments go on skids as well it just makes them easy to move around.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
My forks are on almost as much as the bucket is.
I spent a hair over $300. They weigh slightly more than the Artillian, if my scale is accurate and Artillians weights are accurate.

Regardless of use vs cost, I think we all buy what we feel is the best investment for us. Some of us arent willing to spend a ton on an attachment while others are, while us titewads will spend money on other stuff that the big spenders wont, reversing the narrative.

6 of one, a half-dozen of the other.

Next year you may just use them a ton.
Kinda like a snowblower in Indiana. Some Winters it just sits. Others I wouldnt be without one.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm glad that this thread popped up. Clamp-on forks are on my wish list for next spring. I've got some logs to move, brush piles to rearrange/burn, and I've long thought that some quality clamp on bucket forks would be most useful in my operation.

Brian

My forks are on almost as much as the bucket is.
I spent a hair over $300. They weigh slightly more than the Artillian, if my scale is accurate and Artillians weights are accurate.

Regardless of use vs cost, I think we all buy what we feel is the best investment for us. Some of us arent willing to spend a ton on an attachment while others are, while us titewads will spend money on other stuff that the big spenders wont, reversing the narrative.

6 of one, a half-dozen of the other.

Next year you may just use them a ton.
Kinda like a snowblower in Indiana. Some Winters it just sits. Others I wouldnt be without one.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although they were really handy and come off in seconds nd take up no room, I bent the front cutting edge of my bucket with clamp on forks moving a pallet of sod....one of the reason I went with a full set.

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
The same can be said about virtually any accessory,,, :dunno:

I have a grader box that was used to divert a wet weather spring more over the last three years than on a tractor,,

My flail mower gets max 8 hours use per year,,,

BUT,, if you did not have them when needed,, you may have an awful sore back,,,:flag_of_truce:
I'm with CAD, I use my forks when I need them, use my fork frame with round bale spear just as much as the forks. But I have a tiller that only sees maybe 5-8 hours per year but wouldn't be without that, and that cost a lot more than pallet forks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm glad that this thread popped up. Clamp-on forks are on my wish list for next spring. I've got some logs to move, brush piles to rearrange/burn, and I've long thought that some quality clamp on bucket forks would be most useful in my operation.

Brian
I don't have forks.

What you describe is what I would consider grapple work.

Try using a grapple for the work you describe above.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Brian
Brian, I think most of us would encourage you to forego the clamp on forks.

I don't believe you will be happy. ...and they are more difficult to attach than the JD Quick Attach compatible forks.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I agree don't get clamp on forks. In the three years I have had a FEL I have never used the bucket. My Forks are on it all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Since Buying My Artillian Forks I barely use the Bucket even. Usually have the forks On with the Backhoe But I have 3 tractors with a Loader. Now that I also have a dedicated Mowing tractor I usually have the 45 loader On MY X748 so it allows Me to keep the forks On 2025R 90% of the time :bigthumb:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Brian, I think most of us would encourage you to forego the clamp on forks. "I agree"
"
I don't believe you will be happy. ...and they are more difficult to attach than the JD Quick Attach compatible forks.

Tim
I love my JD forks with the Quick Attach

For example, I unloaded a 450 lb pallet from a transport truck and no one got hurt or injured their backs . . . price of the forks are minor compared to health and convenience

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Mike you'll have plenty of use for the forks when you put the addition on your shop.:lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a set of pallet forks with the orange tractor that I had 17 hours on. I would say 12 of those hours were with the pallet forks on, and when I sold the tractor to buy the 2032R I knew I needed another set of forks because for me they are more handy than the loader bucket. I just ordered a set of Artillian forks for the Deere and they will be on the loader the majority of the time. I found more uses for forks than I ever could imagine, let alone to use them to move pallets with implements on.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Once your back gets twisted or hurt and you begin to "protect" it, the forks play a huge part in your future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I have used the clamp on forks my lifting capability seems to go down? I'm not sure but I'm thinking its due to the hydraulic capacity and the load being farther out from the bucket?

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
When I have used the clamp on forks my lifting capability seems to go down? I'm not sure but I'm thinking its due to the hydraulic capacity and the load being farther out from the bucket?

Any thoughts?
The load is out further, requiring more power to lift the same amount.

My forks don't get much use. The grapple hogs the Artillian frame and is on the tractor 99% of the time.

When I need them, I have them. Otherwise they don't take up much space.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts