Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get forks for my 1025. I had my eye on Artillian as I like the other options that can be had with the 3 point hitch hook up, grapple ETC. After reading on here im a little concerned as there are possible issues with the company. I do live in Ct so I'm only about 2 hours from them.
Any other recommendations for forks?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I wanted to get forks for my 1025. I had my eye on Artillian as I like the other options that can be had with the 3 point hitch hook up, grapple ETC. After reading on here im a little concerned as there are possible issues with the company. I do live in Ct so I'm only about 2 hours from them.
Any other recommendations for forks?
I don't get the value proposition of spending nearly $1000 for forks that are rated to lift 2-3 times as much as the tractor is capable. The USA made Titans that I have (with the hitch receiver) were about half that price and I cannot lift nearly their load capacity with a 3038E. The ability to add a grapple is nice if you're going to buy and use it but, again, will you actually be able to really use them to do useful work with a 1 series? Many here will recommend going with 42" forks. I went with 36" and I find that I can barely lift one of them and I'm an admittedly corpulent 60-something that can still out lift my athletic sons who actually go to the gym and workout.

Consider a frame with a headache bar if your going to lift loose materials like logs that might roll back off the top.

Al

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think you need to consider the weight of the forks you buy as the top consideration. I got forks with the purchase of my 1026R back in 2012. The forks they sold me will fit all the way up to a 5 series tractor. The forks themselves are so large and heavy that I lose a good portion of my lift capability on the forks themselves. I do not know what the titan forks weigh so I cannot comment on them but I'm sure they all list weight somewhere in their specs.

Best of luck to you.

Rich Baxter

·
Administrator
17,569 Posts
The ability to add a grapple is nice if you're going to buy and use it but, again, will you actually be able to really use them to do useful work with a 1 series?
Heck yes you can! As long as the grapple (like the forks) are lightweight and well matched to the tractor.

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
I don't get the value proposition of spending nearly $1000 for forks that are rated to lift 2-3 times as much as the tractor is capable.
The value proposition on the Artillian forks is the light weight. With a 1-series, 2-series, and some other tractors every pound on the forks is one less pound you can lift. I've had loads on mine that I could just barely get off the ground. If I had a heavier set of forks it would have been a no-go.

Granted, if you have a tractor with a loader that can lift 3000 lbs having a set of 400 lb forks is much less of a concern.

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
The ability to add a grapple is nice if you're going to buy and use it but, again, will you actually be able to really use them to do useful work with a 1 series?
Please check out the Tractor Time with Tim YouTube videos. He demonstrates quite a bit of heavy work being done with the Artillian grapple on a 1-series.

Many here will recommend going with 42" forks. I went with 36" and I find that I can barely lift one of them and I'm an admittedly corpulent 60-something that can still out lift my athletic sons who actually go to the gym and workout.
I have the 42" 3-inch forks but originally had the 4-inch Cascade forks which weighed about 80+ lbs each. You don't have to lift fork tines to mount them. Any forklift operator will confirm that has they have forks which weigh hundreds of pounds and no one is lifting them. The trick is to use the notch in the lower bottom rail to unhook the tine and have it resting on something like a 2x4. This will allow you to hook the tine on the top rail and get it into position without lifting it by hand.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think you need to consider the weight of the forks you buy as the top consideration. I got forks with the purchase of my 1026R back in 2012. The forks they sold me will fit all the way up to a 5 series tractor. The forks themselves are so large and heavy that I lose a good portion of my lift capability on the forks themselves. I do not know what the titan forks weigh so I cannot comment on them but I'm sure they all list weight somewhere in their specs.

Best of luck to you.

Rich Baxter
The UA Titans I have are 266lbs and cost $494 capacity 4500 lbs
Artillians are 185 lbs and cost $769 capacity 2300 lbs

80 lbs difference

I have no particular attachment to Titan as it was the price more than anything that drove my decision.

Al

·
Registered
715 Posts
You don't have to lift fork tines to mount them. Any forklift operator will confirm that has they have forks which weigh hundreds of pounds and no one is lifting them. The trick is to use the notch in the lower bottom rail to unhook the tine and have it resting on something like a 2x4. This will allow you to hook the tine on the top rail and get it into position without lifting it by hand.
That's a good idea! Right now the biggest problem I have is sliding them out to the operating position I want. There is a lot of friction on the top rail from, I assume, the powder coat used on the frame. I think I need to slather that with some grease.

Al

·
Registered
452 Posts
Same here only mine were $449 shipped.
I have not yet encountered a time when an extra 80# capacity would have made the difference. I usually need an extra 500# but of course a 1025 isn't going to do that.:kidw_truck_smiley:

The UA Titans I have are 266lbs and cost $494 capacity 4500 lbs
Artillians are 185 lbs and cost $769 capacity 2300 lbs

80 lbs difference

I have no particular attachment to Titan as it was the price more than anything that drove my decision.

Al

·
Administrator
17,569 Posts
That's a good idea! Right now the biggest problem I have is sliding them out to the operating position I want. There is a lot of friction on the top rail from, I assume, the powder coat used on the frame. I think I need to slather that with some grease.

Al
My forks slide almost effortlessly across the rails, and there is no grease applied to attract dirt and make a mess out of everything. Little things like that are why some of us pay more for our fork sets.

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts

Al
When I had the 4-inch wide Cascade tines on the Artillian frame they were terrible for this. Any time I tried to move the tines they just jammed. Artillian suggested grinding the channel on the tines which helped some but they still jammed. I literally had to carry a rubber mallet on the tractor so I could adjust the tines. It didn't matter how carefully or smoothly you tried to move them - they would jam tight and you would have to beat on them with a mallet. My dad was a forklift mechanic for 35 years and he couldn't figure out what was wrong with them. And to think - I actually paid extra to get the Cascade tines. Ugh.

I finally had enough and sold the Cascade 4-inch tines and replaced them with the 3-inch wide tines. Problem solved. The 3-inch tines slide back and forth effortlessly.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,768 Posts
When I had the 4-inch wide Cascade tines on the Artillian frame they were terrible for this. Any time I tried to move the tines they just jammed. Artillian suggested grinding the channel on the tines which helped some but they still jammed. I literally had to carry a rubber mallet on the tractor so I could adjust the tines. It didn't matter how carefully or smoothly you tried to move them - they would jam tight and you would have to beat on them with a mallet. My dad was a forklift mechanic for 35 years and he couldn't figure out what was wrong with them. And to think - I actually paid extra to get the Cascade tines. Ugh.

I finally had enough and sold the Cascade 4-inch tines and replaced them with the 3-inch wide tines. Problem solved. The 3-inch tines slide back and forth effortlessly.
My 4" tines do the exact same thing.:banghead: WHAT A PITA THEY ARE.
The more I use them the more slop I have the worse it gets. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
I don't have any forks for my tractor but I do have a forklift. I found that resting the tips of the forks barely on the floor/ground takes the pressure off the top rail, allowing the forks to be adjusted smoother. May work for what you guys are describing.:dunno:

·
Registered
22,080 Posts

Al
My forks slide almost effortlessly across the rails, and there is no grease applied to attract dirt and make a mess out of everything. Little things like that are why some of us pay more for our fork sets.
I was about to say the same. Artillian (at least mine) have some sort of dry graphite coating on the fork slides.

I don't have any forks for my tractor but I do have a forklift. I found that resting the tips of the forks barely on the floor/ground takes the pressure off the top rail, allowing the forks to be adjusted smoother. May work for what you guys are describing.:dunno:
That's similar to what I learned way back when which also works well for my tractor forks - just a little different. I raise the forks to a comfortable position - I then tilt the forks forward just a little bit - they slide back and forth easily.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I don't get the value proposition of spending nearly $1000 for forks that are rated to lift 2-3 times as much as the tractor is capable. The USA made Titans that I have (with the hitch receiver) were about half that price and I cannot lift nearly their load capacity with a 3038E. The ability to add a grapple is nice if you're going to buy and use it but, again, will you actually be able to really use them to do useful work with a 1 series? Many here will recommend going with 42" forks. I went with 36" and I find that I can barely lift one of them and I'm an admittedly corpulent 60-something that can still out lift my athletic sons who actually go to the gym and workout.

Consider a frame with a headache bar if your going to lift loose materials like logs that might roll back off the top.

Al
There is more value to the Artillian system and products than just the lighter weight, although the lighter weight is worth many times what you pay for it. As others have stated Artillian is modular if you plan on expanding your implement collection to include things like an AMAZING grapple, front hoe etc. I have 3” tines and they’re just about perfect, easy to mount and move on the rails, amazing lift capacity-you name it, they can do it.

Heck yes you can! As long as the grapple (like the forks) are lightweight and well matched to the tractor.
They are incredibly well matched and surprisingly useful on 1 and 2 series machines-I don’t think I have another more versatile or capable attachment for my tractor.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I could have just got the JD forks when I got my tractor they wanted 600 bucks...reason I didn't was of all the options that Artillian gives. They are a little more pricey tho.
Exactly, depends on what you want and what use you have planned. A $5-600 set of HLA or Frontier forks are great for the average user who just wants forks.

I wanted the full suite of things from Artillian so I got their frame, but to each their own.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had to make this decision a few days ago. Could have gotten JD forks at the dealer when purchasing my tractor. Looked at the Titan forks through Amazon. Ended up ordering the Artillian fork setup, a backrest and the Hoe Bucket. What it all came down to for me was the number of options that can be added to the Artillian when and if wanted or needed. Thought that I would have lots of uses for the Hoe Bucket. Pricey they are for sure but the ability to add to was what sold me.

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
I have often wondered why folks buy the most expensive tractor in the world and then gripe over a few dollars for the equivalent attachment?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,768 Posts
I have often wondered why folks buy the most expensive tractor in the world and then gripe over a few dollars for the equivalent attachment?
:lol: :munch:

I wanted to make sure I spent a lot. I bought a set, sold them, lost money, bought the Artillian set. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts